R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #31
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedone View Post
I have been running a 17.5 novak motor at cefx in my tc for about a week im at 93 spur and 49 pinion with fdr of 3.80 in my tc5 good top speed and corners very well the faster drivers will do better with this and a avg is going to do great because it is controlable speed
nothing like a 13.5
I am also racing with 13.5 motors and in some cases beating them not on speed just on less crashes and more consistent lap times
Thats pretty much the case around here. The 13.5 and 17.5 times are very close. We sometimes split the two classes, but the 17.5 times are always good enough to make the main in 13.5.

I personally went to the 17.5 because I didn't care for 13.5 rubber at all. There just wasn't enough traction on most nights on rubber tire to justify all the power the 13.5 produced.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I'm running LRP Sphere w/ Orion 3200 Lipo.

No, we weren't running with any 27t racers, our track has pretty much gone all BL for all classes. Except for TCS mini.
Thanks Darkseid. That helps put the gearing in perspective. Gearing can really vary depending on what speedo and battery are used.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedone View Post
I have been running a 17.5 novak motor at cefx in my tc for about a week im at 93 spur and 49 pinion with fdr of 3.80 in my tc5 good top speed and corners very well the faster drivers will do better with this and a avg is going to do great because it is controlable speed
nothing like a 13.5
I am also racing with 13.5 motors and in some cases beating them not on speed just on less crashes and more consistent lap times
I'm running the 17.5 in out 13.5 class. I get eaten up down the straight, but I can stay silky smooth through the infield, so it balances out. I get dogged on for running the mouse motor, but I'm very competetive with it. Our track is 36x80, on rubbers I'm around 3.9 on my final drive. When my big pinions and little spurs show up, I want to start testing it on foams.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #34
Tech Master

Oops. Premature posting....

www.summitrcraceway.com
Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #35
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
I'm running the 17.5 in out 13.5 class. I get eaten up down the straight, but I can stay silky smooth through the infield, so it balances out. I get dogged on for running the mouse motor, but I'm very competetive with it. Our track is 36x80, on rubbers I'm around 3.9 on my final drive. When my big pinions and little spurs show up, I want to start testing it on foams.
Yeah, there are sometimes 'issues' about the 17.5 cars being 'in the way' on the straight if they run with the 13.5 cars, which is why the classes are sometimes split at our track. Doesn't matter to me though. Split or together, the times are close enough that things balance out between the two motors.

I haven't tried the 17.5 on foam yet. Mainly because I'm too lazy to put the foam set up back on my car just to test it. But very intereted in what it would be like. I know the gearing will be nuts!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #36
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Yeah, there are sometimes 'issues' about the 17.5 cars being 'in the way' on the straight if they run with the 13.5 cars, which is why the classes are sometimes split at our track. Doesn't matter to me though. Split or together, the times are close enough that things balance out between the two motors.

I haven't tried the 17.5 on foam yet. Mainly because I'm too lazy to put the foam set up back on my car just to test it. But very intereted in what it would be like. I know the gearing will be nuts!
Hmmm...this should be interesting.

We have a 4.0 limit on the 17.5's at our track. I haven't gotten one yet to test yet but we run 13.5 and 17.5 together is stock.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #37
Tech Master

You find that the 4.0 limit matches 27t pace? I figured it would be a little lower then that. It's a good number if it keeps the peace.

I'm scared it'll feel a little dull on foam, but enough gear, it should come around. My home track is hosting the ROAR region 5 carpet champs in April. Hopefully some guys that show up are running it. There's only two of us here running that motor right now. I want to see how I stack up.

www.summitrcraceway.com
Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Seems putting a limit on gear would only work if you also mandated what batteries(NIMH or LIPO) and speedos(GTB vs LRP) to run also. A car running a 17.5 geared at 4.0 running NIMH/LRP will have a big speed advantage over a LIPO/GTB set-up.

It takes more gear to make up for the voltage loss while running LIPO.

And the advanced timing of the LRP gives an advantage over the GTB in a limited gear situation.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #39
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
You find that the 4.0 limit matches 27t pace? I figured it would be a little lower then that. It's a good number if it keeps the peace.

I'm scared it'll feel a little dull on foam, but enough gear, it should come around. My home track is hosting the ROAR region 5 carpet champs in April. Hopefully some guys that show up are running it. There's only two of us here running that motor right now. I want to see how I stack up.
Not sure yet. I will have my hands on a 17.5 in about a week or so. What I am interested in seeing is if the mistakes I made that I could cover up with the speed of a 13.5 will be made up with less speed/smoother driving with the 17.5. I am not a "fast" guy at our track but I don't want to get rundown by other average guys with 13.5s.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Not sure yet. I will have my hands on a 17.5 in about a week or so. What I am interested in seeing is if the mistakes I made that I could cover up with the speed of a 13.5 will be made up with less speed/smoother driving with the 17.5. I am not a "fast" guy at our track but I don't want to get rundown by other average guys with 13.5s.
Pit.

I thought The Track was running a 27T/17T BL Stock class and a separate 13.5 Super Stock Class. Either way the 4.0 limit was directed toward Trans Am and Novice I believe...not the regular Stock TC class.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Pit.

I thought The Track was running a 27T/17T BL Stock class and a separate 13.5 Super Stock Class. Either way the 4.0 limit was directed toward Trans Am and Novice I believe...not the regular Stock TC class.
You're right that is for Novice. OK cool. Thanks!

Last edited by PitNamedGordie; 01-24-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: oops
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #42
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well I got my lrp sphere so I'll be running it this weekend with my 17.5
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #43
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
well I got my lrp sphere so I'll be running it this weekend with my 17.5
Me too, I'll run it and let you guys know how it turns out. I just hope I get my spur/pinions in the mail tomorrow. Plan on starting at 4.0, but I think I'll end up lower than that This is for TC BTW.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #44
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ran the 17.5 w/6 cell in TC today, medium sized outdoor track 100x50. Geared at 4.0 and temped out in the 130*s, outside temp was mid 60s. Car was just a hair slower down the straight than the fastest brushed guy (lipo). Infield speed was good. I'm guessing that if I geared at 3.9, they would be very close. Over all I'm very satisfied w/the 17.5's performance, you guys won't be dissapointed
Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
Ran the 17.5 w/6 cell in TC today, medium sized outdoor track 100x50. Geared at 4.0 and temped out in the 130*s, outside temp was mid 60s. Car was just a hair slower down the straight than the fastest brushed guy (lipo). Infield speed was good. I'm guessing that if I geared at 3.9, they would be very close. Over all I'm very satisfied w/the 17.5's performance, you guys won't be dissapointed

Note of the time P2 posted..................way past his bed time from what I'm told.