Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #16
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That pack does look cool though.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default TCP On The Lipo Bandwagen

I recieved the Team Checkpoint 5400 Lipo and Balencer to run this weekend at the CRCRC Midwinters. I was very impressed with the Team Checkpoint Package. I ran the Checkpoint Charger, Balencer, and 5400 Packs.

It was very nice the way the balencer plugs dirrectly into the charger to charge through the balencer. No cumbersome clipping clips to clips.

I ran the 20 Min. Outlaw class with no problums makeing runtime.

I have ran other lipos as well as the most recent NIMH packs and these has comperable rip if not more.

If there are any other questions regaurding the new packs I will try to answer them.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Anyone have any more information on this?

Like cell source, discharge rate, etc?

LOOKS nice, at least. I wish all of the companies jumping on the LiPo bandwagon would include some product details with their new packs. You'd think there would be some carry-over from the NiMh world of recording every piece of data in a label on the cell.

I'm sure we'll see more...

how many C discharger ?
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I wonder if these will pass ROAR approval since the positive and negative dont seem "clearly" marked. Even in the picture I cant see which is + and which is - much less the fact there is no color disignation.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The Team Checkpoint balencer will do up to 3 cells.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
is checkpoint owned by x-ra#??
I think owned by 'dnn3ll ( fuel maker )
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Easy... I never said not to use a balancer. Having one and using one is different than needing one. I only said it's seldom needed... which is true unless you have a problem pack.

Having and using a balancer is a good idea esp. for those not real familiar with lipos.

btw, you can balance a pack without a balancer should you ever need to.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #23
Tech Champion

It's $129 per piece ?? tsk...tsk...
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
Easy... I never said not to use a balancer. Having one and using one is different than needing one. I only said it's seldom needed... which is true unless you have a problem pack.

Having and using a balancer is a good idea esp. for those not real familiar with lipos.

btw, you can balance a pack without a balancer should you ever need to.

How do you know if you have a problem pack? How do you know for sure if one cell is good or not given the fact that they are in sealed cases?

One of the key features of a true balancing charger is that each cell is monitored while it is being charged. So if there is a problem with one cell, a good balancing charger will stop charging.

How do you balance a pack without using some sort of a balancer?
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Once upon a time we didn't have balancers or balance chargers. Plane guys in particular have been using all sorts of methods to charge and maintain lipos... some good some not so good and some bizarre. Anyway, how do you balance a pack without a balancer?

A voltmeter. Check each cell. If they are different... you can charge each cell independently. That's sort of a poor man's manual balance charger.

Or you can use a load (light bulb, etc) to discharge the high cell. Obviously this is a pain compared to plugging in a balance device which is why we have them.

You can check the cells in a pack anytime with a voltmeter. Odds are it will be balanced and maintain a good balance. If it's out... best thing is to use a balancer. And, having checked it with a voltmeter, you know how far out the pack was.

Balance chargers.... I'm aware of them and how they work... but most car guys don't have them.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zake540 View Post
How do you balance a pack without using some sort of a balancer?
You charge or discharge each cell individually to the same voltage.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
You charge or discharge each cell individually to the same voltage.
How do you manage to do that then?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr View Post
How do you manage to do that then?
The balancing port on the orion-style batteries is essentially a battery bar connecting the two cells...if you were charging the cell with negative lead, the balancing port would be the positive lead to the same cell (and vice versa).

It has been said before that charging each cell individually is only good if you charge both cells at the same time.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing View Post
The balancing port on the orion-style batteries is essentially a battery bar connecting the two cells...if you were charging the cell with negative lead, the balancing port would be the positive lead to the same cell (and vice versa).

It has been said before that charging each cell individually is only good if you charge both cells at the same time.
It's also been said that balancing a lipo can actually cause some problems. I think that sometimes these boards get into discussions over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...when in reality, it really doesn't matter.

If you buy a decent battery, it will last a long time. Balance it occasionally if you want...or don't. The marginal benefit of balancing every time will probably take a while to outweigh the cost of balancing when you take ALL of the costs into account. No battery will last forever, no matter what you do...just don't over charge or over discharge it and you're 95% of the way there.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Ben... to charge one cell... hook up the charger to the middle balance plug and one of the main plugs. That's one cell. Then use the center plug and other main plug to do the other cell.

Just be sure to charge them to the same level... then to be extra sure, let the pack sit a while and recheck the voltages with a voltmeter.