Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Are people injecting paragon?
What's wrong with that?
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #47
Tech Elite

It is believed that the thin bodies flaten out when the speeds are high enough, so they do not meet the minimum height requirement.

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
What's wrong with that?
Nothing, better traction
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #49
Tech Champion

So is there going to be a run on light-bodies prior to the gentlemens agreement between the body makers to stop making them? I wonder how much they will go for on the secondary market?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #50
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've kinda stay quiet on the whole brushless/lipo thing, because I honestly just didn't wanna hear the flack that I am being biased to protect my business....

I am glad ROAR went with the 17.5.....in all the stuff I saw, the 13.5 was WAY faster than any 27t.....the 17.5 seems to be more on par in onroad......I have not done much testing in offroad, but slowing offroad stock down a bit is probably a good thing.....it seemed to have bigger turnouts when it was slower.......hopefully, we can see so more guys move up to modified offroad, which is a blast.....

As a guy who sponsors racers, I echo nash's statements about drug use......it's quite the bummer to see the guy you are footing the bill for end up in the C main cause he is simply too stoned to concentrate...the booze is just as big as a problem, but I really don't see how any of it gets enforced.......sucks.

The thin bodies need to go.......ROAR does need to step in on this.....body tucks are out of hand......sucks for hobby shops and can be confusing for racers.......I even heard a well know driver say he ran the thicker body just cause he knew he could (and was going to) just ram people and give them tucks, while he stayed pretty much immune.....I know it sounds like over regulation.....but look at any other major racing orginaztion, they regulate EVERYTHING pretty much.....we leave quite a few things open, so I don't think we will see much flack at all from this...

It was good to see the stock bump system......I still think it needs to go a bit further and use the ideas I presented about no sponsor lists from stock racers, no sponsor decals.....and limit the companies ability to advertise with it.....literally make it no incentive to have stock drivers....

Things I would still like to see....

A regional qualifier system for nats, similar to the TCS system......get each regions top racers to nationals.....left over spots by application.....the only way regionals are going to ever get back where they were is to make them count for something....

More open brushed rules......I would like to at least see the modified brushed motors rules open up to allow more segments on the arm, bigger arms and better magnets......I think getting the brushless rules more open for mod would be a good thing too...both brushed and brushless mod still blow up cause they are both severely hampered by the current rules....

I have other ideas......just wish I was more motivated......I am simply burned out on the hobby and a bit disappointed on how some things in it have turned out (nothing ROAR has done or not done, just simply the attitudes)....

Later EddieO
Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #51
Tech Champion

Eddie, the on-road forums havent been the same since you stopped posting regularly. Hopefully you will get over the burnout soon. I think we all go through it. I recently took 6 months off from the hobby and its made it fun again. Guess its kinda hard for you to do when its one of your businesses. Good luck...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #52
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You're missed around here Eddie. Sorry for all the little jabs in the past. R/C needs guys with your passion, which is still very apparent, burnout or not.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
As a guy who sponsors racers, I echo nash's statements about drug use......it's quite the bummer to see the guy you are footing the bill for end up in the C main cause he is simply too stoned to concentrate...the booze is just as big as a problem, but I really don't see how any of it gets enforced.......sucks.
Later EddieO
You may wish to look at the contracts you're offering to these people... get something in writing that states that if drugs or alcohol affect their ability to perform then their contract is terminated
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #54
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

All the contracts have wording to such...........problem is, if a company was to enforce it, you would have very few drivers to actually choose from.....

I will be back......now that the rules are kinda settled, I can actually start on some stuff...........it was just too risky to put up any money for brushless or lipo without rules..........now that we have them, I can look into what my company is going to offer.........

I was even thinking about going racing...........or rock crawling:P

Later EddieO
Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

hey eddie. i have always agreed with you on the regionals to nats thing. i think that is a super idea. it would really help regionals turn out i think and actually give them more meaning then just a glorified club race. also i liked your idea of a paid entry or maybe even trip for winning regionals. that would for sure put more meaning on regionals. now that roar is stepping up and taking things more seriously these are things they should consider. also by saying they will do that people that doesnt have a roar membership might get one, cuz everyone wants a free trip.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
I want to chime in on this too..
Every year at every race somebody is drunk, making a scene, burning bed spreads, beds, leaving the upperdecker in somebody else's room, pulling fire alarms.. etc etc This crap needs to stop. It doesn't show R/C in a great light when the Hotels count up all the messes being made. How long are these places going to put up with it? Half the guys that show up look up to these Company Representitives. And hey if you're trying to be the Girls Gone Wild of R/C they might be spot on for that type of place but 99.99% of the companies aren't. They're there to sell/showcase products, etc. Maybe its high time the people take back the day and pop a couple backhands around some of these slackers and straighten things up. Do we need to start a thread (petition) on holding these guys a little more accountable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
....use the ideas I presented about no sponsor lists from stock racers, no sponsor decals.....and limit the companies ability to advertise with it.....literally make it no incentive to have stock drivers....
This is EXACTLY what was needed. Only the guys racing for the top of the mountain should be spewing advertisements. Whether its called "Factory" or "Pro" or "Expert" or "Mod". Everything else is the minor leagues. If you show well there then some Company may call you up to the big dogs if you already aren't trying to run it.
Mason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #57
Tech Elite

but hey, i also think that if i have to pass a piss test to get my check, anyone receiving government money should also.
Mason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #58
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post

I am simply burned out on the hobby and a bit disappointed on how some things in it have turned out (nothing ROAR has done or not done, just simply the attitudes)....

Later EddieO

C-On !

I still worship you on my alter....

so it`s worst than you think ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic

More left to address.

1:12 pan/oval and 1:10 oval/road course pan car

I know the timing is not right to draft up rules, but the planning needs to be started now to research and testi out which branches of technology will hinder or help the hobby.

Any increase of voltage from the current 4.8V 4-Cell battery packs will increase the speeds. Any decrease with limit the speeds due to motor limitations. A 3.7V LiPO just about needs a 3.5motor to equal the same speed as the 10.5's.

It appears that winding configurations are more easy to come by since brushless is in its infancy for the R/C hobby. This vast possiblities of windings are great if 1:12 and 1:10 pan cars need to increase the volatge based on changes in the battery types.

The problem I see with just strapping in a 7.4V lipo is that to get the speeds low enough to the novice classes motors like 25.5 or 23.5 have to be used and the roll out will be hughe. The 13.5 and 17.5 are proving that gear boxes and motor pods will need changes in the future for larger rollouts.

I would still like remind everyone that LiFePO4 cells are available in many sizes including the every so popular "soft" cell that can be orded in about any size. Other cells like the 26650 size of 18650 size are more available and promise a steady stream of cheap powerful cells.

My feelings is that unless a min/max size and mass are set for any "brick" pack the use of cyclindrical cells be a better choice to avoid chaos of too many different packs in the market. The hobby was luck so far with LiPO makers soucing out cells in the same shape as a 6-cell pack. For 1:12 and 1:10 pancar our hobby may not be that lucky.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #60
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Number one thing:

Car of the WEEK!

the price of bodies, don't make me laugh, try the PRICE OF A NEW CAR EVERY SIX MONTHS

You want more racers this is THE fix.

Make an approval waiting period....
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote