R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Would it work if you said, the top 10 guys in stock and super stock can't enter stock the following year. That is, if you make the show in either, you're out the next year. 5 years seems kind of ridiculously long, and taking out one guy at a time would take like 10+ years to really make an impact.
I agree 5 years is too long perhaps 2 or 3 years and not the whole main maybe just the drivers that podium. Top 3 drivers limited to pro-stock for 3 years.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank View Post
I think you also have to look at this from a regional perspective. In New England, we have very small, tight indoor tracks. Between the four tracks we have in this part of the country, I believe the biggest straight away we have is 75 feet. 19 Turn is hairy, let alone running stock sedan which is sometimes still too fast for some layouts. If we were to have cooperative weather in the summer, those of us who want to run asphalt run mod and 19 turn, simply because its more practical on a larger layout.

The following statement does not apply to everyone, just my perspective:

I go to club races as this is my form of stress relief, and stay with me on this one, it's my hobby. I have a family, career, and grad school to cope with, and racing is my outlet. Its extraordinary impractical to force me to race a class that I dont normally race at a club level (not that I'm going to win the nationals anytime soon). I race because its fun, not so I can go out and practice by myself to prepare for a big race. I go to big races like everyone else, to have fun. I'm not going to speak for everyone, but sponsored stock drivers actually still do this because its fun.
Steve, I'm glad you're enjoying racing. Nothing wrong with that. The way I see it, ROAR and some of your fellow racers are simply saying that they don't want guys going to a big competition expecting to win stock. Or, if you do expect to win and still enter stock, you do so because you think it is a great achievement to graduate out of stock.
Basically, quit sandbagging the beginner class.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #108
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Steve, I'm glad you're enjoying racing. Nothing wrong with that. The way I see it, ROAR and some of your fellow racers are simply saying that they don't want guys going to a big competition expecting to win stock. Or, if you do expect to win and still enter stock, you do so because you think it is a great achievement to graduate out of stock.
Basically, quit sandbagging the beginner class.
I don't think people understand, a lot of people that run Stock or a class other than Mod may, and probably are, doing do it because they like the different skills that are required in these classes....not sandbagging as you say.

They may just think it is more fun and fits better with their life style. Seems like Steve Boice made it real clear...he likes it and it fits his life style at this moment in his life.
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MrLesac

I know when i started racing my local track had stock and expert stock, and it seemed to work, so im glad that this is sort of the direction roar is taking with the new class.
MrLesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

I like where roar is going. But with one exception, and it begins in 2009. Having the make the jump from 13.5 to a 3.5? I personally feel that is a HUGE gap, maby not for the factory guys, but for me it is, especially on a small carpet track. Thats where 19t/10.5 comes in, the extra few 10ths that it is faster is just perfect for most of the average/above average guys. And those who are just comming up, there is still stock. I just feel that is to big of a jump and that alot of people in the end will not wind up having a class they feel comfortable in.

What do other people think?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #111
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave View Post
I like where roar is going. But with one exception, and it begins in 2009. Having the make the jump from 13.5 to a 3.5? I personally feel that is a HUGE gap, maby not for the factory guys, but for me it is, especially on a small carpet track. Thats where 19t/10.5 comes in, the extra few 10ths that it is faster is just perfect for most of the average/above average guys. And those who are just comming up, there is still stock. I just feel that is to big of a jump and that alot of people in the end will not wind up having a class they feel comfortable in.

I agree with you. I think this class should be determined on a track-by-track basis. 13.5 could be kind of boring if the track is fairly big. Stretching out with a 10.5 can be a lot of fun if there's room, and that kind of speed can better prepare you for mod, if that's the ultimate goal. The gap between 17.5 and 13.5 (in terms of speed) is too small to make it an interesting jump.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #112
Tech Master

Quote:

Looking at thetTurnouts both local and Nationally, This rule will effect possible 20-30 people since that seems to be all that run the Modified class anyway. Those people blessed with a huge home track that do run modified...your encouraged to bend the rules and run the 10.5 as an intermediate step at the local level. Those running 19t will probably find the 13.5 after being tuned to run just about as well if not better by 2009.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
Old 01-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:

that would be a good point if racers had the mindset of running 3.5 mod, that doesnt seem to be the case, it seems the real need is to slow mod some, not speed up the lower classes, then you might see a big interest, and even an incentive to move up to mod.....
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
I agree with you. I think this class should be determined on a track-by-track basis. 13.5 could be kind of boring if the track is fairly big. Stretching out with a 10.5 can be a lot of fun if there's room, and that kind of speed can better prepare you for mod, if that's the ultimate goal. The gap between 17.5 and 13.5 (in terms of speed) is too small to make it an interesting jump.
but if 10.5 or even 8.5 was the accepted mod, that would be the incentive for drivers to run mod....
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #115
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoc View Post
but if 10.5 or even 8.5 was the accepted mod, that would be the incentive for drivers to run mod....
True. If mod was capped at something reasonable, no doubt more people would aspire to race it. The 19T class at races like Snowbirds where both stock and mod pros enter the same class is by far the most interesting of all. Since we seem to be sticking with 6cell/LiPo, maybe a mod motor limit is what it will take to revive interest in the class.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Quote:
True. If mod was capped at something reasonable, no doubt more people would aspire to race it. The 19T class at races like Snowbirds where both stock and mod pros enter the same class is by far the most interesting of all. Since we seem to be sticking with 6cell/LiPo, maybe a mod motor limit is what it will take to revive interest in the class.
The good thing about modified is that you can run any speed. There is nothing that says you can't run a 10.5 in modified on a small track.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #117
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

yeah there is... when there are other guys running 3.5's and 4.5's and they are going 5-10mph faster than you are down the straight unless we are installing passing or HOV lanes LOL
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #118
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post
passing or HOV lanes LOL
Would that be the same as 8 wheeling the sweeper

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
Old 01-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Rick,

I can't answer that persay. But my personal feel for offroad mod, is that its easier than onroad mod. Maybe that is because I started in offroad? Don't know, but onroad stock isn't even that much fun. Set the car up , and you lift a bit or brake for tight corners.. Mod, hold on to your @$$. cause its going to be a wild ride lol.. The pace of mod is also insane, Mod foam TC or 1/12 mod can be a hand full. Even on a technical offroad track your not as busy as say a indoor carpet track. Since you have done it all what do you think?

-Patrick

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post
yeah there is... when there are other guys running 3.5's and 4.5's and they are going 5-10mph faster than you are down the straight unless we are installing passing or HOV lanes LOL
Before I got my second asphalt Xray(last season), I would run three classes. 10.5/19 turn, EP Mod, and Expert nitro sedan. Sometimes if I was scrambling on a technical track I would just run the 10.5 and end up running times that were maybe a tenth or two slower than my mod times. But the consistent lap times would always net a good result....Hov Lane or not, if you blow one or two corners every other lap.. I will still get you with my 10.5

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote