R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #76
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 396
Default

Forcing people out of Stock into Super Stock is a good idea, but forcing people out of Super Stock into Mod is not.

Right now with the speeds of Mod being so ridiculously high no normal every day guy can expect to keep up. Look at Mod now, the same guys have been making the "A" Main in Mod for years.....all have full factory support for cars, tires, bodies, batteries, and many have deals for radios, chargers, paint, etc. I can show you pictures from 5 and even 10 years ago with the same guys, Josh, Barry, Mike B, Ralph, Paul, etc. Sure a lot of new guys are coming up but it is hard, real hard. Why would anyone ever try to run against these guys unless he had an equal chance with all the sponsors but with a very small chance of winning, and how do you get the sponsors when you can't make the "A".

I can't imagine club races ever having full fields in Mod due to the speeds and cost associated with Mod.

I am not complaining about the new rules, I think it is great that ROAR is really stepping up, doing what it takes to be a strong governing body and I applaud Dawn and the rest of the people involved, but I am worried about booting people out of classes that may be what they enjoy racing, for whatever reason.
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #77
Tech Fanatic
 
Frank McKinney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: A Yank in England
Posts: 755
Default

Good points Ted, but the sponsors might have to step up a little to encourage perennial stock class racers to move into mod. I think that would be a hard ask though, because if their top stock racer moves into mod and is 'slow' (i.e., B Main) then they lose exposure. I think it will be easier for sponsors who do BL and stock motors, but motor tuners who specialize in stock and 19T will have a tough time with the new rules. But that's progress for ya...they'll have to find something new to sell or market I guess.
__________________
Minimal signature to save screen space! Big sigs suX0r
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #78
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Forcing people out of Stock into Super Stock is a good idea, but forcing people out of Super Stock into Mod is not.

Right now with the speeds of Mod being so ridiculously high no normal every day guy can expect to keep up. Look at Mod now, the same guys have been making the "A" Main in Mod for years.....all have full factory support for cars, tires, bodies, batteries, and many have deals for radios, chargers, paint, etc. I can show you pictures from 5 and even 10 years ago with the same guys, Josh, Barry, Mike B, Ralph, Paul, etc. Sure a lot of new guys are coming up but it is hard, real hard. Why would anyone ever try to run against these guys unless he had an equal chance with all the sponsors but with a very small chance of winning, and how do you get the sponsors when you can't make the "A".

I can't imagine club races ever having full fields in Mod due to the speeds and cost associated with Mod.

I am not complaining about the new rules, I think it is great that ROAR is really stepping up, doing what it takes to be a strong governing body and I applaud Dawn and the rest of the people involved, but I am worried about booting people out of classes that may be what they enjoy racing, for whatever reason.
hmm... maybe I'm not reading this right.. but how are the rules forcing anybody out of SS into Mod? I think the 2009 rule insures this isn't happening..
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #79
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Yes, sounds like some misunderstanding. The way I understand it is there is only encouragement of stock drivers moving to super stock. Not super stock to mod. Now if the guy that usually ran stock and 19T now wants to run two classes they now might have to run mod. But they arent being forced to.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #80
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
hmm... maybe I'm not reading this right.. but how are the rules forcing anybody out of SS into Mod? I think the 2009 rule insures this isn't happening..

Sorry, I am responding to several people that say "Move these guys out of stock (or SS now) into Mod". I understand the ROAR rules only move the winner out of Stock, I should have made my point clearer.

I still say Mod is too fast and that will limit the people that would like to move to Mod type racing.
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic
 
b-man777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MA.
Posts: 938
Default

hey bigtrucks:I agree with you that coast of car and parts is one BIG reason that this sport/hobby isn't growing at a faster rate,but at the same time the stock class should be an unsponsored driver class only?Thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #82
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Edit: wrong thread

Last edited by syndr0me; 01-17-2008 at 11:32 AM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #83
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,587
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

There is no reason for anybody who has a tire, chassis, battery, motor and sometimes electronics deal to be running stock, the slowest class. I think it is perfectly fine for them to run the new superstock (19t, 10.5 etc.). That is what it is there for. And Mod guys should not be running superstock, just for "track time", as I heard so often.


Also, all the blowhards who love to tell everybody to man up and just take a beating: you must be stupid. If you follow your own logic, these same top stock drivers should also man up and MOVE UP, especially if they have been at the top of the class for 4 or 5 years.

Anybody who is fast with 27t or 17.5 will be fast with a 19t or 10.5/13.5
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #84
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

re:track time. Ive heard the same thing. And been guilty of it myself. But I wonder if on these very big races if people didnt do that if they could get an extra round or 2 in.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #85
Tech Elite
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 4,909
Default

let me try this analogy for the sports guys

Mod (MLB) getting paid
SuperStock ( Triple A ) just surviving
Stock ( local co-ed softball league ) paying for it and mowing the lawn.

__________________
Mason McCombs
NewRed Hobbies & Indoor Facility
Off-Road, Dirt Oval, Crawlers & Pullers
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #86
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
There is no reason for anybody who has a tire, chassis, battery, motor and sometimes electronics deal to be running stock, the slowest class. I think it is perfectly fine for them to run the new superstock (19t, 10.5 etc.). That is what it is there for. And Mod guys should not be running superstock, just for "track time", as I heard so often.


Also, all the blowhards who love to tell everybody to man up and just take a beating: you must be stupid. If you follow your own logic, these same top stock drivers should also man up and MOVE UP, especially if they have been at the top of the class for 4 or 5 years.

Anybody who is fast with 27t or 17.5 will be fast with a 19t or 10.5/13.5


AMEN !!!
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #87
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 143
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I fail to see how this rule gets sponsored drivers out of the class. First of all, once a so-called sponsored drivers wins and gets banned from the class, the company(s) sponsoring him will rpobably just mov eon to the next best stock driver until he then gets banned. It will be a never-ending cycle and thus you'll never get rid of sponsored drivers. Hopefully the Super Stock and Stock class split will help this, if so, it would have solved this without this new rule... more than likely.

Another scenario... eventually all the really fast/sponsored guys get moved out of stock. Now its the average club racer's turn since all the faster guys are finally gone and you're finally in the A. Oops... now you're back where you started, racing in Super Stock with the sponsored guys again.

For as long as the "win on Sunday sell on Monday" slogan still works (which it always will in racing), you will never stop sponsorship in the most popular class, which happens to be STOCK.

IMO... the best move ROAR made about this whole issue was creating a Stock and Super Stock. This will really shine when the 13.5 takes over in 2009.
CShearburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #88
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett View Post
he is running mod.....

he made a deal with the powers that be

ban the whole a main LOL so in 3 years i will be able to make the show...thats sad
sweet.. that means ill go from the G-main to the F-main. i always COD4 on xbox360. at least im somewhat good at that.
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #89
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Maybe the top 10 guys should be out, but only for the following year.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #90
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Would it work if you said, the top 10 guys in stock and super stock can't enter stock the following year. That is, if you make the show in either, you're out the next year. 5 years seems kind of ridiculously long, and taking out one guy at a time would take like 10+ years to really make an impact.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Class Gearing FX Racing Electric On-Road 1 03-12-2008 09:03 PM
Trinity Stock Handout Motors {TQ and Winner of the 19th Annual CRCRC Midwinter’s} DustinR R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 01-17-2006 10:19 AM
12 used fantom monster & fantom binary balanced stock motors 2 epic roar stock brand jason cheng R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 06-06-2005 08:23 AM
BRUSHLESS STOCK in STOCK CLASS. charlie_b Electric On-Road 208 01-22-2004 12:30 AM
23 turn stock class ? hardadz Electric On-Road 7 06-21-2003 09:03 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:25 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net