R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #61
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Drew is listed in stock on the Snowbirds website.
Thats a mistake...He's running Mod and 19 turn at the Birds.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
You're an A Main guy now Marker....off to Mod with you! :P
I think I'll hang out in Super Stock for a while - mod is too scary
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #63
Tech Adept

Bringing new people into the sport thats great. One thing, that needs to start on the local level not the Regional or National level. If Cuffs was to win the Nationals, banning him for 5 years is not going to get Bobby Icryalot to get his family or his buddies to come into the hobby. That person does not have a clue who Cuffs is.The real big problem with getting people into this hobby is the cost, 400$ touring Cars 60$ or more for matched packs, foam tires for 36 to 45 dollars, 100 dollar plus Lipos and 175$ to 250$ brushless and speedo combos, no wonder it's hard to get fresh meat.
Nobody needs to be banned for 5 years for winning,you are at a National and "You" should race the best the sport has to offer every year. Racing with all the fast guys makes you a better driver. Racing with David Getlucky and Sam Onelapper puts you next to nothing,and you dont get any faster, making the A Main with the fast guys with "Your" hard work and no help ( yes it can be done ) means more to me than the Title.
I think next year at the Nationals they should put all the names into a hat and pull them out and that is where you finish, that way you will not have to EARN it.

Team Epic , Team Catch Me
BigTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The problem is 90% of the drivers today probly don't have a clue what all of the tuning options are on an xray 007 & thus they aren't going to be any faster w/ it then a car from 5 years ago. People simply need to stop buying a product because of its name & purchase it for real world use. If you have never set up a tc b4 then go & pick up a $200 roller & not a $400 roller.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #65
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I like the new rules from what I've heard so far.
And the fast guys are running mod. They left stock in the rear view.
I just cant figure how slow is fast enough.
Stock racing is all about going faster not slower. 27t and 17.5 sound fair.
And any stock racer that has achieved a Natl. title should be ready for the next level? 5 years sound fair to me.
Let the average club racers battle it out in stock and excel into the 13.5 and faster class on there own achievements. I think factory racers should run in 19t and faster.
It helps beginners to set higher goals in racing to wittiness the fast guys running faster classes. Like Sponsors and achieving more skill.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrucks View Post
you are at a National and "You" should race the best the sport has to offer every year.
I'm not picking on you BigTrucks, many others have made a very similar statement. Just using ya

We need to understand what "Nationals" are about. Are the Nats about determining who the best of the best in our country is.. or is it another excuse to get together and race? If its to determine who the "MAN" or "WOMAN" (in Dawn's case) is.. then Stock or Super Stock should not even be raced. ... Which is what NATIONALS are. Qualifying for the WORLDS where only MODIFIED is run.

Why would we run any other classes at Nats.. to make it worth while for the host?? I don't know. Any other classes are just fillers and should be treated as such in pre/during race promotion and not spammed across an advertisement in post race promotions. The other thing would be to return to Juniors and Masters (or just everyone else) for nats. stock for juniors super stock for the other class (and only these 2 classes in addition to mod) But as you read in the minutes these classes were tossed out.

As for the current large non-roar races.. These are just an excuse to get together and hang out. Its a mini-convention/vacation for the majority of us. I get to catch a show, theme park or what not and then play pipe hockey with my toy car. Manufacturers have a chance to show off some stuff, make a future sale, answer questions, make the customer feel good about getting to see some faces and know they aren't talking to some outsourced guy they can't understand.
Some guys want to turn them into a "Series" to determine a champion, but then all the big boys need to race in the big boy class. Can't keep calling the slower classes "champions". There's only ONE TOP OF THE HILL.

The guys complaining about money.. the manufacturers have brought this upon themselves. They advertised Johnny Experienced won stock whatever.. now everyone is thinking they have to throw money at the situation. There's 2 ways to solve this. Stop throwing money at it, or race something less expensive. Guess what - sales go down, somebody has to figure out how to raise them back up so they can eat. They'll listen to their customers.

As far as these "winner bumps up" rule. This coincides with drop down in speeds we will experience with the new rules. much of this might happen with just the motor rules but it needs to be done across the board. Really... whats the difference between Mark Smyka (pulling names and classes outta the air) running in Stock Touring at a Regional, and Mark running Stock Touring at IIC. Not a damn thing other than his entry fee might be cheaper at the Regional and the buffet might not be as nice. Its sad either way when you know he's up there fishing the radio like its a sunday drive and he should be challenging himself at a higher level. You can use many names guys. Not picking on Mark
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Bobby Icryalot

Still chuckling.....
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #68
Tech Fanatic

Sounds like a rule the BRCA and major races should use as well
Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Drew is listed in stock on the Snowbirds website.
he is running mod.....

he made a deal with the powers that be

ban the whole a main LOL so in 3 years i will be able to make the show...thats sad
Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #70
Tech Champion

I wonder if you will start seeing guys backing off near 5 minutes and doing deals with other racers to win the race if they are not far behind?

Its going to be a bad day for racing if this starts happening... (Im not implying it will, but it could... surely?)

If car X is in front of Y, X knows he has it in the bag, then slows to let Y pass and win so X doesnt get a ban from stock ROAR racing... Heck, X could even do it without racer Y knowing, gave the win away and a ROAR stock ban... Then Y is out the stock series in the blink of an eye for years to come.

Just looking at what "could" happen here.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Let's just call the stock class the "exhibition" class for national events. Take away some of the prestige of winning it. Intermediate guys/girls that want to come run in the nationals and spend time watching / interacting with the big guns have a chance to do that but none of the big time sponsored guys are going to want to run in a class that is just exhibition. I think there are 2 points to a nationals race. First it is to find out who the man/woman is but secondly its an event to bring RC racers (and more importantly hobbyist) together for a national event for a weekend of fun. Lets not say just b/c its a National event that Joe Hobbyist shouldnt have a place to run.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with you assessment of the cost situation, even 250 as the average street price for a 1/12 is ridiculus, and the one BIG mistake ROAR made (or atleast that i did not read in the minutes) was a price cap on the 'stock' BL motor.

Quote:
Racing with David Getlucky and Sam Onelapper puts you next to nothing,and you dont get any faster, making the A Main with the fast guys with "Your" hard work and no help ( yes it can be done ) means more to me than the Title.
But this sounds like YOU don't think you should have to run with David Getlucky and Sam Onelapper, perhaps you would be happier running in the pro-stock class, just think how good your hard work will feel when you beat the fast guys in that class.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Iand the one BIG mistake ROAR made (or atleast that i did not read in the minutes) was a price cap on the 'stock' BL motor.

$129.00

Apologies for not listing that in the minutes - its part of the proposed stock/super stock BL rules and that was passed and already entered into the rule book.

The rule book should be avialable for download mid week next week. Just double checking EVERYTHING since so much changed this time around.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
I'm not picking on you BigTrucks, many others have made a very similar statement. Just using ya

We need to understand what "Nationals" are about. Are the Nats about determining who the best of the best in our country is.. or is it another excuse to get together and race? If its to determine who the "MAN" or "WOMAN" (in Dawn's case) is.. then Stock or Super Stock should not even be raced. ... Which is what NATIONALS are. Qualifying for the WORLDS where only MODIFIED is run.

Why would we run any other classes at Nats.. to make it worth while for the host?? I don't know. Any other classes are just fillers and should be treated as such in pre/during race promotion and not spammed across an advertisement in post race promotions. The other thing would be to return to Juniors and Masters (or just everyone else) for nats. stock for juniors super stock for the other class (and only these 2 classes in addition to mod) But as you read in the minutes these classes were tossed out.

As for the current large non-roar races.. These are just an excuse to get together and hang out. Its a mini-convention/vacation for the majority of us. I get to catch a show, theme park or what not and then play pipe hockey with my toy car. Manufacturers have a chance to show off some stuff, make a future sale, answer questions, make the customer feel good about getting to see some faces and know they aren't talking to some outsourced guy they can't understand.
Some guys want to turn them into a "Series" to determine a champion, but then all the big boys need to race in the big boy class. Can't keep calling the slower classes "champions". There's only ONE TOP OF THE HILL.

The guys complaining about money.. the manufacturers have brought this upon themselves. They advertised Johnny Experienced won stock whatever.. now everyone is thinking they have to throw money at the situation. There's 2 ways to solve this. Stop throwing money at it, or race something less expensive. Guess what - sales go down, somebody has to figure out how to raise them back up so they can eat. They'll listen to their customers.

As far as these "winner bumps up" rule. This coincides with drop down in speeds we will experience with the new rules. much of this might happen with just the motor rules but it needs to be done across the board. Really... whats the difference between Mark Smyka (pulling names and classes outta the air) running in Stock Touring at a Regional, and Mark running Stock Touring at IIC. Not a damn thing other than his entry fee might be cheaper at the Regional and the buffet might not be as nice. Its sad either way when you know he's up there fishing the radio like its a sunday drive and he should be challenging himself at a higher level. You can use many names guys. Not picking on Mark
This is what happens when State champ races and Regional level races don't have any meaning. If these races meant something toward the nats, people would have a much different perspective of stock racing at the nationals.

You are correct, the nationals seeds U.S. drivers to the worlds. That is the next level for them, it just happens to be the pinnacle for all of RC cars. Only the best of the best wheel the worlds and it should be that way. We need the same in this country for Nationals level racing for the slower classes.

I have no problems with having stock and super stock at the nationals, it does belong there.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
This is what happens when State champ races and Regional level races don't have any meaning.
OH, you can expect this to change as well.... Region Directors will be required to do their job and schedule sanctioned races in their regions... regional championships for all disciplines of racing... that's a must.

Basically, we had to take out of the rules the seeding process for nationals based on regional results and prior years nationals results.. as well, 1/2 of that doesn't happen and we can't get the data from the tracks and region directors, so it was unfair to do that to some events and not others. That sucks!

Andrew Mowery is the Sanctioning Director and his job and he is very committed to it, is working with region directors and posting sanctioned events on the site and getting the tracks to promote them. It will be done.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote