R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
nice... lol... long time no see, hows the northwest treating you?
who are you, sorry....

The Nothwest is cool....cold, icy and snowy actually...this is global warming? Life is great lately thank you! miss so cal alot though...

how are you?

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #182
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think the 5 year rule is starting to sound bad, it may be to long unless it were to bump more than 1. I would like to hear the reasoning from roar. Or even if its a final ruling.? I can see how a privateer should not be forced to bump. But I can see how a factory driver should.
I would like to hear from roar the reasoning on that rule. The people against this rule are making a strong case.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #183
Tech Adept

I like the goal that this rule is trying to achieve, but I'm not sure that this is the way to get there. But, let's see how it works and give ROAR a chance to work on it. Since it won't affect anybody until the 2009 racing season, there is plenty of time for changes.

But, like others here have said, I think the right way to solve this problem, and many others along with it, is to slow the Stock class down dramatically. On carpet with foam tires, Stock is WAY too fast for about 80% of the drivers. Speed is relative. We don't need to be going Warp 9 to have fun. With the speeds we carry today, it is absolutely critical to have a nearly perfect setup on the car just to get around the track. With slower cars, the average driver will be able to get around the track even if the car is very poorly setup.

How we accomplish the task of slowing the cars down is open for a lot of debate. Reducing voltage and switching to slower motors are the two most obvious choices. I think we have quite a few people out there experimenting on these right now. Let's give them some time and once we have some results, we can see about making more changes.

Thank you Dawn and the rest of the ROAR EXComm. It's nice to see ROAR getting actively involved in our hobby once again.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

where do you run stock foam tc? region 12 its hard enough to get a full heat of mod foam lol all the nancy's want to run rubber tires

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #185
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What if ROAR went old school and reinforced that stock is rubber and mod is foam. I know that still doesn't solve the issue at hand of slowing down the stock class as we know it today.

A spec class might be something to think about too while we are discussing the matter at hand. You go to a ROAR Regional or National - you pay $$ and get a motor and tires. The motor is handed back in after each round and is reissued. You are given enough time to work on the motor, so you can change brushes and true the comm. If you want to good really fast do other things to it but keep in mind that you will not get that motor again for the remained of the event. At the end of the meet, you get to go pick up a motor from a box of motor that were ran throughout the weekend.

One set of tires - period! At a club level is there anybody that changes their tires out each round? If so please pm me and I'll pay the shipping for one month of your tires.

Batteries: well preassembled stick packs! Cheap for the hobbist and undesirable by the "pros." Just one more thing to get Joe pro to step it up.

As for the ruling by ROAR to do this - well I have asked on here and now I see others too - ask how did ROAR make their decision? Why five years? Why only one driver? Anyway - I like the idea that ROAR is stepping up, how long has it really been since we have seen issues address. I'm sure many hours were spent around a table, on emails, or doing whatever with the changes being talked over and why this and that. So, thanks Dawn and crew for doing something.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post
What if ROAR went old school and reinforced that stock is rubber and mod is foam. I know that still doesn't solve the issue at hand of slowing down the stock class as we know it today.

A spec class might be something to think about too while we are discussing the matter at hand. You go to a ROAR Regional or National - you pay $$ and get a motor and tires. The motor is handed back in after each round and is reissued. You are given enough time to work on the motor, so you can change brushes and true the comm. If you want to good really fast do other things to it but keep in mind that you will not get that motor again for the remained of the event. At the end of the meet, you get to go pick up a motor from a box of motor that were ran throughout the weekend.

One set of tires - period! At a club level is there anybody that changes their tires out each round? If so please pm me and I'll pay the shipping for one month of your tires.

Batteries: well preassembled stick packs! Cheap for the hobbist and undesirable by the "pros." Just one more thing to get Joe pro to step it up.

As for the ruling by ROAR to do this - well I have asked on here and now I see others too - ask how did ROAR make their decision? Why five years? Why only one driver? Anyway - I like the idea that ROAR is stepping up, how long has it really been since we have seen issues address. I'm sure many hours were spent around a table, on emails, or doing whatever with the changes being talked over and why this and that. So, thanks Dawn and crew for doing something.
Stock = rubber
Mod = foam
I like it........
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #187
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No offense guys... but I don't get that. To me that does little more than bring one more previously unrelated variable into the debate... as if foam vs rubber isn't debated anough already.

I'd imagine roar is trying this with just 1 man to see if it encourages more people to voluntarily progress to the next levels of racing without implementing criteria that forces more people to do so. Progression is needed otherwise things become stagnant.

And let be serious... I'd imagine there are only a handfull or so stock racers that have been on here that this rule might affect.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #188
JKA
Tech Master

Last edited by JKA; 01-23-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: triple post lol
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #189
JKA
Tech Master

Last edited by JKA; 01-23-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: double post