R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiefttc4 View Post
why come up to the weight of a 4200 when a 3300 or 3000 makes minium weight..
to space my batterys i use old 3300 cells that have gone bad.. thats usually enough. when i use my 6000 maxamps
Well it was an example. The idea is to have the option to add weight. Not all cars can make weight with a 3300. I add 190 grams to my TC5 with an Orion 4800. To have the option of adding wieght would be great.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Well it was an example. The idea is to have the option to add weight. Not all cars can make weight with a 3300. I add 170 grams to my TC5 with an Orion 4800. To have the option of adding wieght would be great.

I second that, with a Type R with a 3200 Orion, I added the same to make running weight
Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I brought the topic up of heavier lipo about a month or so ago and almost got stoned by people on here. I say just reduce the allowed weight of the cars
Old 01-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Even though I like lipos and own some, the whole idea of adding weight sucks! I am still in favor of picking a Cylindrical cell size and sticking with it. The cylindrical cell provides protection ,heat dissapation and is inspectable.

Granted there are voids in a cylindrical cell pack and the CG may not be the lowest or most compact it set the rules to be fair for everyone.

Many stock races hardly use 2000mah of power, Knowing that a car maker could design a car for a thinner smaller 2500~3000mah LiPo and use lead or tunston placed in key locations of the car/truck to have a most compact CG that anything every seen on the RC market. What they would lack in punch, would come back 10x in corner speed.

By choosing a standardized cell shape it places every chassis and battery importer on the same level playing field. No "1/2" packs, slim or shortie packs. Every chassis would have to accomendate the same size cells, the same volume, and roughly the same mass of batteries. It would be the same concept as the Sub-C battery. Eventhough the weight climbed and the size slighly fluctuated over the years, the sub-c is what it is, a standard size battery.

The bad news for racers is that Lithium cells do not come in sub-c size batteries. But there is a solution, when you combine four 26650 (26mm dia x 65mm L) together you roughly have the same volume and size as a 6-cell Sub-c pack.

The Pandora's box has been opened!
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What's the reasoning behind NOT ALLOWING us to add weight to OUR lipos to make ROAR legal weight requirements? I don't get it. My lipos already has weight added to them....I guess I'm SOL

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dump aLL YOUR cars like the 415, xray t2 TC5 that has the batteries laid on one side, and go get yourself an oldschool car, like The Pro2 , the Xray Fk04, no need to add any weights.
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote