R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Tech Elite

austin, i have a couple of your packs.

Its a size dimension thing if there is an issue. According to your site, the 8000 height is too tall for the ROAR rules. 25.1 vs your's says 26. If the site is in error or my numbers are in error I blame whomever put the lipo rules document together :P

if you guys want to add weight, the majority of you will d/s tape the weights to the bottom of your battery, and slap them wherever else you need them. There is no need for a battery to have weight added to it. Every car out there is different. What you are asking for does not work across the industry. Keep it separate.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post

if you guys want to add weight, the majority of you will d/s tape the weights to the bottom of your battery, and slap them wherever else you need them. There is no need for a battery to have weight added to it. Every car out there is different. What you are asking for does not work across the industry. Keep it separate.
Cant attach them to the battery under the new ROAR rules. There is limited space in TC to add weight. Most cars are already underweight and balanced for a nimh.

If people dont want a heavy lipo Im sure there will be enough light lipo choices. I think there is a market though for such a product.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

how about instead of making things heavier, lower the minimum weight. less weight will mean a faster car with longer run times.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
Tech Adept

We are conservative on the site dimensions so it will be close. The first time I read it I was thinking it was +/- 3mm but now reading through it again I see that it is +0 so it will be really close. The 6000 will make it for sure but the 8000 is questionable.

-Austin
austinelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Cant attach them to the battery under the new ROAR rules.
I just read through the rules and must have missed that part. Which section says weights can't be attached to the battery? It's not a big deal to me, but it would be nice to know so I can plan accordingly.

Back on-topic: I waited (and waited) for a heavy LiPo, but one never came to fruition so I came up with my own solution. Now that I've spent a lot of money on tungsten, I almost don't want anyone to come out with a heavy Lipo because I'd be tempted to buy one (or two).
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
I just read through the rules and must have missed that part. Which section says weights can't be attached to the battery? It's not a big deal to me, but it would be nice to know so I can plan accordingly.

Back on-topic: I waited (and waited) for a heavy LiPo, but one never came to fruition so I came up with my own solution. Now that I've spent a lot of money on tungsten, I almost don't want anyone to come out with a heavy Lipo because I'd be tempted to buy one (or two).
See post #27 in this thread: http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=200757 Dawn posted it there.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #22
Tech Elite

the weights can be under the battery. they do not have to attach to the battery. also, define secure. D/S tape, glue, shoo-goo, screws, nuts and bolts?
and if you are wondering how to place them under the battery on a chassis with battery slots.. cut out a rectangle of lexan and attach to chassis. you have plenty of CoG to play with.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

One of my favorite quotes is from Henry Ford (Ford motors):
"If I asked my customers what they wanted they would've said a faster horse"

Why in the world would you want to add weight to your battery? Everyone will be changing their tune here when the factory guys start developing setups for lighter cars (read: at legal weight) with lipos that are way faster using milder motors and stickier tires. I think right now everyone adds weight because they don't want to change their "heavy" setups.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
One of my favorite quotes is from Henry Ford (Ford motors):
"If I asked my customers what they wanted they would've said a faster horse"

Why in the world would you want to add weight to your battery? Everyone will be changing their tune here when the factory guys start developing setups for lighter cars (read: at legal weight) with lipos that are way faster using milder motors and stickier tires. I think right now everyone adds weight because they don't want to change their "heavy" setups.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
the weights can be under the battery. they do not have to attach to the battery. also, define secure. D/S tape, glue, shoo-goo, screws, nuts and bolts?
and if you are wondering how to place them under the battery on a chassis with battery slots.. cut out a rectangle of lexan and attach to chassis. you have plenty of CoG to play with.
I would assume secure just means if it comes off during the race you will be DQed. The thing is, why do I want to go through all that trouble? Why not Orion just sell a bottom "heavy" half. Then I dont have to do anything.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinelse View Post
We are conservative on the site dimensions so it will be close. The first time I read it I was thinking it was +/- 3mm but now reading through it again I see that it is +0 so it will be really close. The 6000 will make it for sure but the 8000 is questionable.

-Austin
I posted this in the Maxamps hard case thread too...but I'm looking for some thoughts.

__________________________________________________ ____

Maxamps...

You guys have a HUGE oppertunity here! Since you provide your packs configs ala carte you need to add a "heavy" option too!!! If you put a 1.7mm thick peace of lead in the case you could get...lets say the 6000MAH pack to 420+ grams. The same as a 4200MAH pack. You would be the OLNY company offering this and your made to order style is perfect! Just an idea...but you'd be offering what other won't cant!

Take a look here...

http://www.teamfusionracing.blogspot.com/
Old 01-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Why can't standard chassis use the same mounting system as the Type-R? That is, in place of battery slots, cut a large rectangular slot into which a heavy steel tray can be mounted, and the battery will rest in. It would just be on the right side of the chassis instead of the middle like the R. Then it's secured to the chassis, and you get all that weight down low. Of course, you can't put weight that low on the other side, so who knows how that would affect the handling of the car.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hopefully MaxAmps can pass the drop and overcharge tests.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
how about instead of making things heavier, lower the minimum weight. less weight will mean a faster car with longer run times.
...and less tire wear and less parts breakage.............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

why come up to the weight of a 4200 when a 3300 or 3000 makes minium weight..
to space my batterys i use old 3300 cells that have gone bad.. thats usually enough. when i use my 6000 maxamps
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote