Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #481
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)

... removed
Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #482
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
I think 5 of the last 6 or 4 of the last 5 on-road carpet nationals have been sale outs.
'07 CFX Raceway, MI: Approx. 265
'06 Stockton RC Raceway: approx. 285
'05 Hobby Chamber, Connecticuit: less than 240
'04 The Gate, Cleavland: approx 270
'03 Minesota: approx 250

On-Road Paved
'07 SIR (Seattle Indoor Raceway): approx 140 this was a relocated race.
'06 Speedworld, CA: approx 235
'05 Speedline , FL: Approx 215

I don't recall more than this. On-Road electric is limited by the rules to 250 entries or 25 heats. Anything over that has to be an approved deviation by the Excomm. So you can see that Carpet has been a well attended race. This years race will be the largest this decade/century and possibly the biggest in ROAR history. Thank you to the membership for supporting this as well as any and all of our ROAR National Championships
Answer your PM. Thanks Juan
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #483
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett View Post
this gets me thinking to a couple monthes ago when carpet tracks were bidding on the race, and everyone was bitching about how the west coast wasnt carpet and that its all about the east coast carpet...lol

just an observation
Keep in mind when we had the carpet nats at The Gate there was only TC stock, 1/12 stock, Tc Mod, 1/12 mod, and Masters 1/12 that only had 20 entries. Stock had 110 entries for tc. Now we have 7 classes with way less total people. I am glad that there will be a lot of entries at this years nats but the amount of racers is at an all time low every where.

Paul
Old 02-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #484
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Will people be allowed to set their pit areas up on Monday or will this be restricted until Tuesday? No biggie either way, Im just curious...
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #485
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
Keep in mind when we had the carpet nats at The Gate there was only TC stock, 1/12 stock, Tc Mod, 1/12 mod, and Masters 1/12 that only had 20 entries. Stock had 110 entries for tc. Now we have 7 classes with way less total people. I am glad that there will be a lot of entries at this years nats but the amount of racers is at an all time low every where.

Paul
Not to start a crazy debate, just my observations. I don't know that it's at an all time low. I think people tend to know where they stand, and aren't as willing to spend $5000 to get it handed to them at the major events. After you see what actual talent is, and get it through your head that most of the top pro's would put 3 laps on your best time, USING YOUR CAR, you don't need to do it every month to get the idea. Add to that, the silly schedule that requires people to take a week off of work, so you feel obligated to show up Monday or Tuesday for a weekend event. Compound that with guys that are now feeling that they can't compete because they could only be there on Friday, giving 1/2 the racers 2-3 days more practice. Nothing that bums me out worse than knowing there have been guys there for 2-3 days before I get there. It's not that racers aren't interested, it's just a tough sell if a person is honest about it.

I already have a pretty rough idea where I'm going to end up in 1/12th, and it isn't the "A", and because there's no masters for my "Geezery" old self, the "B" and "C" ain't looking to hot either... ...lol... BUT, that said, I'm going to go and have a great time. Which is what I was trying to point out. Most people know roughly where they fall into the grand scheme of things. and spending a few grand to go is hard to justify when you think you could get yourself all new stuff instead and stay home.

How to get the racers out? How to put any kind of meaning to the event for Joe racer. That's the million dollar question.

I feel most folks race regionally, and try to take in one large event a year. It's fun to see people you haven't seen for a while, watch the big show and be a part of it. But certainly not something the Average Joe can justify doing 5-6 times a year.

I feel the curiosity factor is what's bringing people to the nats this year. 17.5's and brushed in the same class, superstock, lipo. It's an interesting time. That's the only reason our crew is going. I'm curious to see how it unfolds.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-26-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #486
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think its the Plex thats brought them in too...but I'm biased.
FroBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #487
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Couldn't agree more with you, Bob.

Conner and I are starting our second year competing. We've both hit the A main locally a time or two. But, at Omaha, we plan on being in the bottom 20% of the field, happily. We are lucky enough to live only 6 hours drive time from The Plex. I was there in November '07 and loved it. Since then, we've both migrated from old TC4s to S400s. I think the switch shows in our racing, just a little!!

I anticipate the Nats will be outside of driving distance for us in the future. And I want Conner (11 yrs old) to experience the 'Shock and Awe' of the 'Good' drivers.

This will be one for both of us to remember for a long time.

Allan
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #488
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i think people are going because BOB STORMERS going to be there!

i know for me its the fact that it is in a place i can drive to this year and donr have to fly to one of the coasts to race! plus i make the 2 big races the plex hold every year. Tim and Alex put on a awsome show. i dont think any one could go home saying the weekend was no good. on that note see you guys in 2 weeks!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #489
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onroad dude View Post
i think people are going because BOB STORMERS going to be there!
I was going for the same reason.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #490
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Nice post Bob. I agree with everything you said.

I think that is why our Halloween race and Grand Finale race at the Gate has been so sucessful. Only a Friday - Sunday race. Last year we had 260 entries for the Halloween race. I'd love for you to come to our Grand Finale race April 5,6. Spread the word!!!

Paul
Old 02-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #491
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

I see this event so huge because of what is known and seen in pictures of the facility... and yes, the new rules are about to collide at once at one event.... and its going to be a great time seeing how this works out and what we'll need to adjust for the next one.

That's what this is all about.. what does the member want? We at ROAR hope its known, we are listening and in this transition year, we know we are doing right by the member and 2009 and beyond will develop right before our eyes.

Oh, and yea.. cuz Bob Stormer is going to a ROAR national... wish I could go too.....
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #492
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There's still room... get signed up if you haven't already!!

There are 173 racers signed up for a total of 293 entries. Here's the class breakdowns:

1/12th stock - 78
Touring 13.5 Rubber - 54
Touring Stock - 51
1/12th Super Stock - 39
Touring Super Stock - 32
Touring Modified - 20
1/12 Modified - 19

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #493
Tech Adept

Gee I would like to go to as many Nats as well but Roar’s position over the years has always try to make a week race out of these events. Heck I only get three weeks vacation and don’t make over $?0,000 a year.

Then to compound the whole event Roar tries to stroke the last day out as long as possible by running triple A-mains. Just madness especially when you’re trying to get home for Monday morning work. I think one main event will be just fine. Try to get us out of the place before 6 pm….please.
cookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #494
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anybody know if there will be magazine coverage??

Last edited by tbeardmore; 02-26-2008 at 09:14 PM.
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #495
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Just sent to the local TV Stations

Just sent to the local TV Stations to get some coverage.... we'll see?

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:09:24 -0800 (PST)
Subject: 2008 R.O.A.R. Nationals will be in Omaha March 12th - 16th at the HobbyTown HobbyPlex.
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Here's a Great News Story for you to cover.

The 2008 R.O.A.R. Nationals will be in Omaha March 12th - 16th at the HobbyTown HobbyPlex.

This will be one of the Largest Indoor R/C racing events in the country and the HobbyPlex Raceway right here in Omaha has been selected as the host racing facility. With nearly 300 entries this will be "the" largest R.O.A.R sanctioned race in it's history.

Come and see the action and racers who are flocking to "The Plex" from all over the country!

Sponsored and Professional racers will be attending this event from all of the major manufacturers.

More Details can be found at www.2008roarnats.com and http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=1#post4209148

What is ROAR?

ROAR is the official U.S./Canadian sanctioning body for racing R/C cars. ROAR is responsible for producing and maintaining rules that are fair for all parties involved members and manufacturers alike. As an official IFMAR bloc, ROAR is also responsible for organizing race teams that represent the U.S. and Canada to compete at IFMAR World Championships for all scales of R/C cars.
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote