Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Approves LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd love Lipo to be legalized in Europe aswell for their capacity, but the voltage will regenerate the ballistic cars we had about a year ago. Not good.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
No, it's not what I wanted. And no, I am happy. Don't generalize or assume anything.

This just seems to lend credence to may of those people who fear everything for no reason, yet does not address problems with NiMh cells. It's still the same old thing with LiPos and paranoia, only now they are ROAR legal. It seems as though most tracks I have been to in the last year had been allowing them already, so this has just been a formality for those tracks remaining that use ROAR insurance.

I don't mind safety precautions in rules. I don't mind mandating quality standards and approved products. But until someone shows me a LiPo bunker that vents charging gasses, allows monitoring of the pack as it charges and keeps NiMh from blowing up next to me, too, I won't be dropping $30 for a placebo.

That's just me, I could be wrong.

+5
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Dawn,

Where does this leave 12th scale and oval racers???

obviously there is an inherent problem being how lipo's are 3.7 volts.

Have roar or excomm looked into this yet???

easiest fix would be to mandate 2 cells but parallel (I think that's right??) so it would be 3.7 volts but 12th needs more mah than touring so running it 2p would give us the run time and help to balance out the car as well.

12th is fast as is and brushless 12th even 13.5 is a LOT faster than stock so the 3.7 might slow things back down.

just wondering if you/roar etc. have been looking into the future of 12th and oval...

thanks

Michael
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
So now instead of being able to monitor your battery for any odd happenings, you basically don't know if something is going wrong until all hell breaks loose.
The same arguement could be made for the requirement of the lipo to be in a hard case. If it gets Lipo legal, I'll charge the batteries with the lipo sack and be quite happy.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by killingtime
The same arguement could be made for the requirement of the lipo to be in a hard case. If it gets Lipo legal, I'll charge the batteries with the lipo sack and be quite happy.
Exactly. Small inconvenience with a great payoff. I'll take that $10-$30 liposack over having to spend $200+ a year on NiMh ANYDAY.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Initiate

I agree with the safety rules ROAR has for Lipos. Also NiMH are definately a concern as we just had two blow up saturday at my raceway. If anyone has any suggestions about what I can do as far as safety for charging these batteries it would be appreciated. When these things blow someone can seriously get hurt.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

thats another reason why i dont like hardcase lipos.. you cant really see anything going on until its preety much too late. aka case splitting..

this past weekend at crcrc. i was walking by a freinds pit area.. he had a 4s neu pack sitting on his pit area. and the top cell was a puffy. from overcharging due to not being balanced.. he was no where in site.. and i promptly placed it in a lipo sack and set it under the table. just to be careful. when he returned i showed it to him and he put it on discharge/balanc and it came back down if that was a hardcase i probably wouldnt have seen it and it probably would have continued to get worse until the breaking point.

but whatever im happy to have lipos approved.. i have all maxamps packs. and i love them..
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Though I'm going to loose some money in the short-term, I think its a great move by ROAR. Now that ground rules have been laid for Lipo approval, we ensure some of our upcoming products will meet ROAR requirements and easily pass through the approval process.

If its good for the hobby, which I think it will be, great!! Bring back the racers now!!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghuber

If its good for the hobby, which I think it will be, great!! Bring back the racers now!!

Hey Gary, Speaking of bringing back racers, when are you coming out to our track (360) in NY??............ Big Race this weekend, come on down.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Lipo

Lipo's!!!

Well I must say i have always enjoyed using my Nimh packs, i like having to maintain your packs and insure that you get max power! I belive it's a skill worth being rewarded for! but we are a lazy generation I guess!

Anyway as for the lipo sack issue, I think it's a great rule and i hope it's followed by all! Lipos have been approved and some people have mixed feelings about this sack issue! stating "Nimh battery's should be put in a sack then!" come on guys no need for mixed feelings! be happy no?

I know Nimh blow up, but thats it they blow up, no fire envolved in the process! lipos don't blow up they catch fire! if a lipo catch's fire while on the pit table then the whole track could burn down etc! lipo sacks are simply fire proof! i think someone said well we can't see the pack! even if you could by time you realize it's about to catch on fire (being in a hard case) it's to late, if it's in the sack then the fire will be contained, no?

I think it's a good rule and hey lipos have been approved so smile!!!

a few questions... will this mean that in a class you will be able to run ether lipo or Nimh? if so are lipos really faster, does anyone have any proven facts (take weight out of the math, as your total car has to weight the same as before)? and if they are faster then does this mean the end of nimh? will this loss in sales effect the industry or make it grow with the cheapness of lipo? will this remove the edge one racer has over another due to better battery management? anyone know about euope and asia; lipos have more voltage than 5 cell?

If Lipos are faster then hell there goes the hundreds of dollars i spent on chargers etc!!! well maybe not until next year!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I appreciate that Ms Sanchez is moving ROAR in the right direction and into the 21st century with the rules. However, I do see one possible problem with the new LiPo rule. How does this apply to LiPo saddlepacks that Maxx Amps makes for the Losi XX4 and BJ 4 and AE B44? Those packs are not hardcased and technically violate the new rule. Comments, suggestions?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

the packs will come with a skin installed that makes them hardcase ... for an additional fee. and for those that already have unskinned packs the skin can be purchases and installed over the lipo.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thank you ROAR, thank you Dawn, thanks you Linger, thank you ExCom, thank you Industry Input people.

The clarity of the ruling is impressive and clear to all, it just needs READING slowly.

Jacko
Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4
the packs will come with a skin installed that makes them hardcase ... for an additional fee. and for those that already have unskinned packs the skin can be purchases and installed over the lipo.
Cool deal. Will this "skin" be submitted to ROAR for review if it will be acceptable as being a "hardcase". Many in my area are running 4wd buggies and many have the pre-"skinned" LiPo packs and I was wondering how they would be affected by the new LiPo ruling. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
We saw a Nk-Ml blow up at last week`s ECT race, right in someones face !

So if Roar really cares about safety, they slipped on this one....(pun)
I'm confident ROAR will do something about Nimh packs and take serious safety measures and implement stricter and safer rules for those who will still use the old nimh packs...It would be completely irresponsible and hypocritical of them not to do something, since their main concern is our safety and the hobby's continueing growth and success. I'm sure they're working on these issues and will soon issue new rules against the dangerous and extremely volatile nimh batteries being used today.

If they were so careful about implementeing safety rules for much safer Lipo packs, what makes you think they arent working on tougher and safer laws for the much more volatile and dangerous nimh packs?

Give them a few weeks, something will be announced

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.