R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #91
Tech Legend

yyhayyim,
I sure hope you know ...

Cause , we have already been warned by battery explosion`s at other events.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

BRAVO Dawn and the rest of the ROAR committee. Those are some of the best thought out rules and recommended guidelines I've seen in a while. You all put safety as a high priority. Many thanks.
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #93
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

sweet!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
yyhayyim,
I sure hope you know ...

Cause , we have already been warned by battery explosion`s at other events.
Thank G-d Dawn Sanchez and Tim Potter and others like them are involved- trust me...they have the right attitude and open mindedness and foresight and will defenitely get something done. Dawn will not be so careless to allow nimh being run at their events and have them blow up and cause injury to racers, spectators, facilities or equipment. Can you imagine the millions of dollars in lawsuits that Dawn and ROAR would face if they be so irresponsible as to allow nimh packs to continue being used without at least implementing just as strict rules and guidelines as they have for the much less dangereous LIpo packs? Such a reckless act will cause ROAR to disappear...they wont risk that.

They'll come thru...its a matter of time...a bit more patience...in the mean time...just run Lipo
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #95
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
The same arguement could be made for the requirement of the lipo to be in a hard case. If it gets Lipo legal, I'll charge the batteries with the lipo sack and be quite happy.
I'm with you. Using a Lipo sack is no problem and a cheap to buy for the safety it brings. Are shop has them in stock and I will be picking one up tonight.

If this is what I must do to run lipos over NIMH and all the fancy dischargers I need and new cells every few months hell I will take the 30 buck inconvience and be more than happy.

I normally don't car for ROAR at all but I give Dawn and the staff credit for getting the new products approved. Never seen so much effort from ROAR as I see with Dawn around. Great work.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

This is great news... ROAR is making the steps in the correct direction, now give them credit for this and let them continue making steps in the correct direction... I being to think that some of you are not happy about anything...

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #97
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvdub View Post
Hey Gary, Speaking of bringing back racers, when are you coming out to our track (360) in NY??............ Big Race this weekend, come on down.
I'm coming by this weekend!! But only as a spectator.. Don't think my old FK'05 and my rusting driving would do me any good!!
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #98
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
No weight changes will be reflected in the rule book..... you'll have to add weight in most cases to your vehicles.
Darn!!! I wanted my cake and eat it too
Hats off to Dawn and ROAR for at least making it legal.
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #99
Tech Elite

I propose ROAR apply the same physical battery tests it is requiring for LiPolymer batteries to NiMH/NiCd.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #100
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ?

I'm normally pretty neutral about stuff and try and see all sides! I just want to race!!!

But I have to say that... lipos get approved and some rules are brought in to making lipos safer to use and now everyone is saying well what about nimh then!!! ...What????
"Well if nimh doesn’t have to use a lipo sack why should I...there more dangerous...no their more dangerous" I know this is basic, but think about it!!! lipos are approved smile and be happy!!!

Until this lipo approval I have not heard of any one lobbying ROAR to get safer measure put in place for nimh cells (maybe they have)! But when they announced lipos were approved, but you had to use safety measure, people are now up in arms! I can't believe there are even complaints about this...Lipos have been approved and there are complaints?????

The only issue I see is how many battery matcher's will be out of a job? Do we think about these guys?

Smile, be happy and chill!!! And enjoy racing with lipos!

Last edited by darchard123; 01-16-2008 at 12:24 PM.
darchard123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #101
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by darchard123 View Post
I'm normally pretty neutral about stuff and try and see all sides! I just want to race!!!

But I have to say that... lipos get approved and some rules are brought in to making lipos safer to use and now everyone is saying well what about nimh then!!! ...What????
"Well if nimh doesn’t have to use a lipo sack why should I...there more dangerous...no their more dangerous" I know this is basic, but think about it!!! lipos are approved smile and be happy!!!

Until this lipo approval I have not heard of any one lobbying ROAR to get safer measure put in place for nimh cells (maybe they have)! But when they announced lipos were approved, but you had to use safety measure, people are now up in arms! I can't believe there are even complaints about this...Lipos have been approved and there are complaints?????

The only issue I see is how many battery matcher's will be out of a job? Do we think about these guys?

Smile, be happy and chill!!! And enjoy racing with lipos!
Do we think of the matchers. I can only say I don't see anyone looking out for my fulltime job or anyone elses for that matter. I do sales for a living so you either adapt or close down. That is what I have to do when I'm out selling to keep. I have to adapt what we have in are product line to keep up with the times.

Ever since people been blowing up IB's the safetly has been mentioned constantly.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #102
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about battery matchers. Right now, Ni-Mh cells still produce better performance, so at least for a while until Li-po catches up, they will be the choice for many racers. Li-pos are expensive, and require special charging equipment as well.

In time, matchers may find a way to match lipo cells as well. I know certain companies are already looking into that.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #103
Tech Adept

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Do we think of the matchers. I can only say I don't see anyone looking out for my fulltime job or anyone elses for that matter. I do sales for a living so you either adapt or close down. That is what I have to do when I'm out selling to keep. I have to adapt what we have in are product line to keep up with the times.

Ever since people been blowing up IB's the safetly has been mentioned constantly.
I see your point about matchers! see were your coming from! I just feel for some of these small guys! we shouldn't be heartless! we not talking about big companies here! as for looking out for each others jobs your right it's a cruel world!

As for the safty I know people have been taking about it but I was simply trying to make the point that, people don't have anything to complain about when it comes to using a lipo sack! don't you think?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #104
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Until this lipo approval I have not heard of any one lobbying ROAR to get safer measure put in place for nimh cells
Its been mentioned a lot. You must have just missed it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #105
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuber View Post
In time, matchers may find a way to match lipo cells as well. I know certain companies are already looking into that.
you know i heard that!!!

To settle some confusion about my post...i know it's been talked about...I was simply trying to make the point that no need to complain about the lipo sack issue! which i stand behind!

my bad...sorry for the confusion!!! I'm just can't undstand why people are complaining!!! makes no sence!