R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #181
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Yep, IF you need weights to get to minimum but have very little chassis space to work with look for Tungsten weights like the pinewood derby guys use. They are much smaller for a given amount of weight than lead.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #182
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Ya know, maybe I missed it, but what defines a hard case specifically? Thick lexan? ABS Plastic? What?

Did Apogee get to chime in as well, I know for a fact he tried to contact ROAR last year. I ask because AFAIK, he currently does not have any type of hard case shell. That also rules out Thunder Power (not that they have a big interest in the small RC Car market [even though their cells rule]).

Still, the certification needed will help cut down on those un-safe chinese knock offs all over Ebay.

Important Point Dawn: On Liposacks. You failed to mention in the rules as an alternative: Battery Bunkers:
http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?prod=1_BB

Bishop is in Phoenix, so it should be easier to contact them to get you guys one to look over at SRS.
Attached Thumbnails
ROAR Approves LIPO-bb2_big.jpg  
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #183
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Doesn't Thunder Power market its R/C car line under the TrakPower name?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #184
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Flightpower makes trakpower

http://www.flightpower.co.uk/LogoBar.html
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #185
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ah, thanks.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

I have tested Lipos for 2 years. I have seen test data on many manufacturers LiPos on overcharge. I don't think a single one will pass the overcharge test without rapid dissasembly (explosion, fire). The new Roar rules are good safe rules, but I don't think anybody can meet them especially the overcharge test. The battery could contain an electronic device to stop the charge, but I don't think this is the intent. A safe chemistry is the intent.
I think a few rules on chargers may be in order instead. I have chargers that have never overcharged a two cell LiPo (2s1p) (Scorpion) and have had a different brand of charger (astroflight) that did it every once in a while with the resulting rapid dissasembly. The first type was designed to only do two cell (2S1p) cells. The bad type auto sensed the number of cells in series and occasionally auto sensed 3 cells with a resulting catostrophic overcharge.
John Stranahan
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #187
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool Lipo

They can get around the overcharge very easy Rebandage there lipos 500 less mah so a 3200 would read 2700 mah and then they will pass the over charge test
dfilo456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #188
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
I have tested Lipos for 2 years. I have seen test data on many manufacturers LiPos on overcharge. I don't think a single one will pass the overcharge test without rapid dissasembly (explosion, fire). The new Roar rules are good safe rules, but I don't think anybody can meet them especially the overcharge test. The battery could contain an electronic device to stop the charge, but I don't think this is the intent. A safe chemistry is the intent.
John Stranahan
Hi John,

There was a ton of debate over the overcharge test while writing the rules. One one hand we wanted a safe cell, on the other hand we didn't want to make the test exclude too many cells.

The overcharge test per the UN regulations is a 2C overcharge at 16.8V for 24 hours!! The ROAR test is just 1C up to 12V for 30 minutes - a much less stringent bar to pass. There are some cells out in RC use that would pass United Nations T1-T8 international shipping regulations. Obviously, they would pass ROAR overcharge standards by a mile.

I've tested a lot of cells that would pass the UN standards. The cells used by AE are advertised to pass the UN standard and so are most all the cells by Kokam. The Trinity pack has build in electronics to prevent overcharge/overdischarge so that would probably pass as well.

I have experience testing the cells used in your FMA packs and they would pass the ROAR overcharge test easily. In addition to great performance, they rate high is safety too.

-ling
Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #189
Tech Master

Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #190
Tech Master

Old 01-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #191
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
5.2.6 Any material used to add weight to a vehicle in order to comply with the minimum weight
requirements for the class must be securely attached to the vehicle chassis. If such
ballast falls off the vehicle during a race for any reason, and the vehicle is under weight at
the post race technical inspection, the vehicle will be disqualified for that run. For all fuel
classes, chassis weights must be securely mounted with solid mechanical fasteners such
as bolts or screws.
Hey Dawn,
What's the rationale for that rule?
If we have the battery securely attached to the chassis and the weight securely attached to the battery...wouldn't that be good?
A lot of people have shoe-gooed or double side taped, weights to the battery with great results. Putting the weights to interlock within the chassis battery slots works great.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #192
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Has any one heard if theres an indoor outdoor rule? Like shrink wrap packs legal at out door events.? Or is this rule going strictly any and all events.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #193
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Has any one heard if theres an indoor outdoor rule? Like shrink wrap packs legal at out door events.? Or is this rule going strictly any and all events.
There is no INDOOR/OUTDOOR rules. All cells submited for approval will need to be in a hard encasment.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #194
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
Hey Dawn,
What's the rationale for that rule?
If we have the battery securely attached to the chassis and the weight securely attached to the battery...wouldn't that be good?
A lot of people have shoe-gooed or double side taped, weights to the battery with great results. Putting the weights to interlock within the chassis battery slots works great.
It seems to me that putting weights on the pack should be a legal option. The rule reads that if the post race inspection (tech) reveals that a car came in under wieght (due to a weight falling off) the car could be DQ. So why should it matter to tech were the weight is as lon as its secure?
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #195
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

That makes no sense to me,i see the weight being attached to the battery no different than double siding tape your speedo,receiver etc,to the chassis?I drive a schuie and there is no room to add that kind of weight to the chassis.