R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

IMHO - Long races are a BLAST at Local Club races, especially those with fairly small crowds... But, to go LONG on big events with large numbers of heats...not so fun.

I personally also like SHORT little 'sprint' races... Talk about exciting - try running a sprint length 2 minute heat sometime. Just about the time you feel like you get 'in the groove' it's over.

2 minute qualifying with 20 minute mains...NOW that would be racing...(As long as more than 2 cars could finish.) Oh - and ONE Pit Stop MANDATORY (Even if you don't change anything...Pull in and ALL 4 wheels have to come a minimum of 3 ft. off the track. LOL
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Tech Elite

1/12 should be 10min now
now that would be cool.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I race with a club that has one class and races two, 30 minute races per event. There is a mandatory pit stop for a battery change. Its a blast.
We've been doing this for the last 8 years.

We also hold a 4 hour (that's not a typo) endurance event with teams of 2-3 drivers.
MADHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

The local off-road track has one class that does standard heats of 5min but runs the main for 10min. I really like it but do have to agree with SWtour that its great at the club level but not really fesable at a big race event.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

I think the quals should be 5 mins, but the heats longer, just like nitro does it. I am tired of being at the track for 5 hours with only 15 minutes of racing (2 quals and the main) Its a MAIN for a reason, make it at least more a test of endurance.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
The local off-road track has one class that does standard heats of 5min but runs the main for 10min. I really like it but do have to agree with SWtour that its great at the club level but not really fesable at a big race event.
And why isn't it feasible at a big race event? Big nitro events have many more people show than most onroad electric events, yet the smallest main is usually 10min, increasing all the way to 30min, 45min or 1 hour mains.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to TommyGun43

Racing more than 5 minutes is boring and makes for a very long day.

Last edited by TommyGun43; 01-15-2008 at 12:09 AM.
TommyGun43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like the idea of longer races and electric needs to take a look at nitro and start cutting some classes to shorten the day.

For example, we have beginner mini, mini, beginner stock sedan, intermediate stock sedan, expert stock sedan, 19 turn, mod, and two other classes. The fact is some of these classes has less than 6 people. Thats what kills the day in electric races imo.

Nitro has two classes 1/10 and 1/8 with all qualifiers having 10 cars. The race director already has an idea on who is fast and who isn't so qaulifiers are matched up pretty well with maybe switching a few guys to different heats if someone is off pace.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If things were run a bit tighter and on time I would say sure make the races a bit longer but at our track it already is a long day away from the house on a saturday. When your race starts at 12, you should get there at least by 10 to get in one or two practice laps and set up...usually I get out around 6 or 7pm...not sure why but I do. So from 10am to 6pmon average? As much as I love running my car I cant spend much longer on a saturday.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #25
Tech Elite

5 minutes is long enough, in 1/8 hydroplane racing we are racing 6 rounds in.............1.5 minutes! Refuelling or a quick pitstop for my hydroplane is maybe a challenge we can do sometime
Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #26
Tech Adept

I like the idea of an extended race time; one has more chances to recover after a crash...
il-gufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've always liked the idea of sticking with 5minute qualifying rounds combined with 10 minutes finals.

The drawback will always be the "I want to go as fast as possible" brigade

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love longer races. Most clubs around here are now running 6 minute heats and finals.

I always found with nitro finals that I learnt more about the car the longer the race went on and I was able to further improve my driving ability and the setup.

As for those that cant concentrate for longer than 5 minutes you will get used to it.

I think the next step will be 6 minutes heats with 8 minutes finals. I would love to have 10 minute finals though.

As to longer race days most of the day is consumed inbetween races, longer races ends up with more efficient the race day.

I would rather loose a heat or final and run longer races. If possible and I know it is from racing nitro I rather race more all round.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #29
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This is something that I've discussed with a couple local racers.

The discussion came about because we already run 5 min qualifiers and a 10 minute main for our TCS Mini class. Now, with the higher capacity of the Lipo batteries and the lower power consumption of the BL motors, we are starting to notice that we are only using slightly more power per race with our TC than we are with the mini. (mini~989mah, TC~1128mah/per qualifier, depending on track layout)

So when the power consumption is so low, you start to feel like your leaving a lot of time out on the track. And I often come off the track during qualifying and in the TC class main feeling like "was that it...its over already".

I don't think every class has to go to 10 minute A-mains, especially if your at a facility that has huge turn outs every race day. But somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Something like:
TC...6 minute qualifiers + 7~8 minute mains(or A main only if the crowd is too big)
TCS mini...6 minute qualifiers + 10 minute mains
1/12...its been a while since I watched one, but I think their races are already pretty long aren't they?

Anyway...thats my thoughts.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

We have been racing bikes for 7 minutes from the start. Not sure who decided it but it works well. When it's really cold or loads of thunderbugs landing on your face you start to wish it was 5 .

It's cool that clubs are being flexible and trying new things. Racing in the uk has been getting stagnent with no imagination.

Some clubs around here have been running 3 qualies and 2 finals instead of 4+1. But always 5 min races.

We tried doing 1 lap qualifing in the past. 10 or 20 minutes session to set you fastest time and then 3 5 minute finals.

The only trouble with having qualifiers that are shorted or use a small amount of laps than the finals is that you end up with cars been setup specificaly for each situation.

Might mean changing motors, batteries or gearing for the finals.

My main grip with rc racing is the amount of qualifying done compared to full on grid start racing.

Good thread

Last edited by JevUK; 01-15-2008 at 07:36 AM.
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote