HELP NEEDED! Gearing and Setup for Tamiya XV-01 >

HELP NEEDED! Gearing and Setup for Tamiya XV-01

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DirkW

HELP NEEDED! Gearing and Setup for Tamiya XV-01

Old 01-25-2023, 02:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HELP NEEDED! Gearing and Setup for Tamiya XV-01

Hey yall, recently got myself a XV-01 kit and right now I got a HobbyWing Xerun 120A V2.1 ESC and an ARES Pro V2 10.5t Brushless Sensored Motor.
Planning to get a Power HD R12s Servo, RadioLink RC4GS V3 Transmitter + Radiolink Gyro Receiver.
Want to run it on 3s and 2s lipo. Does this setup sound good? or are there better options?
Also what tires should I get? slick/foam/tread? soft/hard? Want to run it on road, kinda rough asphalt but quite flat and not that bumpy.
Also still dont quite understand gearing ratio and all. So what pinion and spur gear should i get? just want to be as fast as possible but still want some acceleration. and where do i place the motor on the tamiya numbered motor mount?
Should I upgrade anything else?
THANKS A LOT
Old 01-25-2023, 03:14 AM
Tech Champion

It only fits 2s lipo. 3s is too thick. You can go faster with the motor if you want. As for tyres, something with tread would be good or if you want scale looks and not that much grip, Tamiya's Rally Block tyre. Get something hard compound.

If you are running the stock 06 module spur gear (68T), run the gears in the low 20s. Experiment from there.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:59 AM
Tech Rookie

do you know the measurements of the battery compartment? Also, for the tyres, do treads have the most grip on asphalt? cuz i heard slicks were better or something. dont rly care about realism, just want to go as fast as possible with the most grip.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, on smooth and clean surfaces, slicks have the most grip (on really clean surfaces, foams are even better - when prepared correctly - but can be very tricky elsewhere, so you probably shouldn't bother with them for your intended use). Once dust (including pollen), dirt or rougher/looser surfaces come into play, some sort of tread may become better suited. Rally block tires are usually a compromise between true off-road treads (which would die almost instantly on asphalt, while driving like crap) and slicks (which suck on loose surfaces), so they should be at least halfway decent on both surfaces, but asphalt will still wear them down (no idea how quickly though).

Since you are (apparently) just bashing around, you can choose whatever you prefer, what you can get easiest or cheapest, as there are no lap times to beat or other racers to overtake or keep behind you or anything like that.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:41 PM
Tech Rookie

This setup sounds good and should provide you with good performance.
For tires, you may want to consider slick tires for smoother road conditions. Soft compound tires would provide more grip but might wear out faster.
Gearing ratios depend on various factors such as the type of track, weight of the car, and power of the motor. As a general rule of thumb, a higher ratio will give you more speed but less acceleration and vice versa. You can experiment with different ratios to find what works best for you.
For the motor placement, it is generally recommended to place it as low as possible for better handling.
You may consider upgrading the battery to a higher capacity for longer run time and improved performance.