Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scribbler
I was debate putting the Tekin B1 in my mini. currently at RCMart they're only $40. Does anybody have experience using this speed controller.

Tekin's customer service says this product will work in this application, but I'd like the opinion of someone who's attempted this. I question the long term durability of this ESC (Tekin B1) in this application as its primary use is for 380 brushed motors.

PLease let me know your opinion!

Thanks in advance
Go ahead and guinea pig it, Tekin says it will work it likely will, they stand behind their shit. I run the FX Pro in my M03 and love it.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jcr
Is it me or is the M05 a lot heavier than the M03? Like 50grams heavier.... might suck to race spec class with it now.... but then again both cars were fast last season
Ive found that these cars seriously LOVE weight, even in silvercan racing. Mine weighs 1315g, with quite alot of lead on it. Making it balanced helps too
Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I was debate putting the Tekin B1 in my mini. currently at RCMart they're only $40. Does anybody have experience using this speed controller.

Tekin's customer service says this product will work in this application, but I'd like the opinion of someone who's attempted this. I question the long term durability of this ESC (Tekin B1) in this application as its primary use is for 380 brushed motors.

Thanks in advance
scribb grab two and we can split the shipping
Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by axle182
Ive found that these cars seriously LOVE weight, even in silvercan racing. Mine weighs 1315g, with quite alot of lead on it. Making it balanced helps too
I guess how do you make it balance since it is heavier on the motor side.... add all the weight onto the other side?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
It's not a 'chassis' as such, it's pretty much a complete car... Ref HERE
Hey thanks for the info Tony
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
No cars do not like weight.

But if you have enough grip that you are traction rolling all the time then weight can help prevent the traction rolling.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Rookie

I did search this thread a little but maybe didn't hit the right terms.

Anyway, anyone ever seen the stock silvercan motor melt part of the front steering knuckle? Something is definitely wearing the plastic off the knuckle but there's nothing even remotely close that could be rubbing so the only theory we have (two different completely stock M05's) is that the motor is getting that hot. They aren't touching, and there's no black plastic on the motor. I can post pics tonight if I can get a clear enough shot. Just wondering if this is a known design flaw.

Stock M05, running on indoor carpet, ambient temp around 77F.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rsbennett00
I did search this thread a little but maybe didn't hit the right terms.

Anyway, anyone ever seen the stock silvercan motor melt part of the front steering knuckle? Something is definitely wearing the plastic off the knuckle but there's nothing even remotely close that could be rubbing so the only theory we have (two different completely stock M05's) is that the motor is getting that hot. They aren't touching, and there's no black plastic on the motor. I can post pics tonight if I can get a clear enough shot. Just wondering if this is a known design flaw.

Stock M05, running on indoor carpet, ambient temp around 77F.
No, the motor did not melt your steering knuckle. Think about it. If the motor was getting that hot, it would melt the chassis before it would melt the steering knuckle. You are just whacking stuff.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
No, the motor did not melt your steering knuckle. Think about it. If the motor was getting that hot, it would melt the chassis before it would melt the steering knuckle. You are just whacking stuff.
Ya, quit whacking your stuff
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Bling

For those of us that like work on and add "stuff" to our cars, useful or not, what is a good web site for quality add on's, Tamiya or other ?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default New M03 owner

Hi,

I am the new owner of my first serious RC. I got a M03 Mini Cooper Monte Carlo and can't wait for it to arrive.

Do you guys have any recommendations for hop-ups which I should install as a beginner, not so much for performance, but initially for reliability?

I am planning on getting the AC6 charger and two 7.2V Tenergy 3800mAh Flat NiMH batteries to start off. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks for any feedback.

Rob
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Thanks in advance
Yes you can use them but you need to run a power cap for the servo or else you will blow up the speedo. I would only use it for stock applications. I know of a few guys run these in Formula 1 the work great and save some weight.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motoko
Hi,

I am the new owner of my first serious RC. I got a M03 Mini Cooper Monte Carlo and can't wait for it to arrive.

Do you guys have any recommendations for hop-ups which I should install as a beginner, not so much for performance, but initially for reliability?

I am planning on getting the AC6 charger and two 7.2V Tenergy 3800mAh Flat NiMH batteries to start off. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks for any feedback.

Rob
As a beginner you need nothing just put it down and drive it.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Yes you can use them but you need to run a power cap for the servo or else you will blow up the speedo. I would only use it for stock applications. I know of a few guys run these in Formula 1 the work great and save some weight.
What do you mean by power cap? The capicitor that comes with most Tekin products, or another part? And, does tekin provide this part with the Speedo, or do I have to find somebody who does?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Start here:
http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....d=44&Itemid=60

It's very important to get the shock build right.

Tyres are also very important, check around the local track to see what others are using.

After that not really much, untill you break stuff.
If you break any of the knuckles you may want to upgrade to alloy, but only get the genuine tamiya or the new 3racing knuckles (the old 3racing knuckles are not very strong).

Shocks with adjustable collars are handy. 3racing have a new range out which are pretty affordable and i reckon pretty good. With the new shocks get some of the SHORT tamiya on-road springs.

Most people like to run universals, i prefer the tamiya ones but they are more expensive. Some of the other ranges are quite soft.

The rear axle stubs can be quite soft and bend. If you end up upgrading to universals take the axle stubs from the front and use them in the rear. They dont look the same but will fit and are a LOT stronger.

But most of that is a wish list, you should be able to at least get started with the car as is. And if its handling ok get used to running the mini as is then start upgrading as your budget and ego allows!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.