Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

want to ask guys which one you would recommend, ta03 ball diff or Mo5 ball diff? we are using carpet tracks...thanks...
Old 08-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
do they ???

i have had no problems with mine ??

they are great and a lot cheaper then the Tamiya ones
The trouble with 3racing diff is the thrustbearing, mine did not even last a battery. I even took the diff apart and regreased it before use. Changed it to Tamiya TRF415 thrustbearing and holds up well. Bought a new diff and tested it with carbide diff balls and Tamiya thrustbearing, It's one of the smoothest diffs i have ever felt. Runs great and excellent traction. The diff is good, but not right out of the box!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gashuffer
For those who run Sweep tires. What size are they 55 or 60 and which shure is the best for asphalt? 33's? Also which inserts do you recommend? Thanks. I'm asking because I'm limited to 55's with the Berlina body

I have the Sweeps 33 tires with medium inserts but have not run them so I can't comment on how well they do on asphalt. I can tell you the tires on Sweeps wheels come out about 53mm outside diameter.

You're going to race that nice Abarth body?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mitsubishi
want to ask guys which one you would recommend, ta03 ball diff or Mo5 ball diff? we are using carpet tracks...thanks...
If you're going to crank the diff down to avoid wheelspin out of corner then m05 diff isn't the one you want. The screw and lock nut are too small and you'll most likely break the screw. It is nice that it has plastic blades to avoid outdrive wear but the diff rings are pretty low quality plus they're not notched to fit the cut in the diff halves.
TA03 diff have been a reliable diff for a long time. Just make sure the drive cups don't slide out (use orings or fuel tubing to hold them in) and strip the splines.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Regular

For the sake of argument and because it just seems counterintuitive to me, what's the point of using a ball diff if you are going to crank it down to the point that it acts like a limited slip diff? A ball diff is designed to do just the opposite of what you are trying to get it to do. The thrust bearing is failing because you are overloading it. Same can be said about the bolt/nut.

I read on other threads where touring car guys are using the new Spec R gear diff on the front to get the same effect that you guys are trying to get. They are replacing a ball diff with a gear diff and you guys are replacing a gear diff with a ball diff. I think we all agree that a limited slip effect is better for getting the power to the ground getting out of the turns. It just seems to me that a gear diff is more suitable for this than a ball diff.

My OEM gear diff with two shims and a little AW grease is very smooth and yet has a very good limited slip action. Turning one wheel will spin the motor rather than the other wheel. It's also as reliable as a hammer.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder

You're going to race that nice Abarth body?
I just run at the track, nobody else has a mini. I would race it if they're was a class
Old 08-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
For the sake of argument and because it just seems counterintuitive to me, what's the point of using a ball diff if you are going to crank it down to the point that it acts like a limited slip diff? A ball diff is designed to do just the opposite of what you are trying to get it to do. The thrust bearing is failing because you are overloading it. Same can be said about the bolt/nut.

I read on other threads where touring car guys are using the new Spec R gear diff on the front to get the same effect that you guys are trying to get. They are replacing a ball diff with a gear diff and you guys are replacing a gear diff with a ball diff. I think we all agree that a limited slip effect is better for getting the power to the ground getting out of the turns. It just seems to me that a gear diff is more suitable for this than a ball diff.

My OEM gear diff with two shims and a little AW grease is very smooth and yet has a very good limited slip action. Turning one wheel will spin the motor rather than the other wheel. It's also as reliable as a hammer.
These are good points, but gear diffs are just to loose(even with AW grease) compared to ball. You can adjust them without taking the diff out. If I drive in a circle with moderate power you can see, hear and feel the difference. For me at least.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gashuffer
These are good points, but gear diffs are just to loose(even with AW grease) compared to ball. You can adjust them without taking the diff out. If I drive in a circle with moderate power you can see, hear and feel the difference. For me at least.
You can fill the diff with thick silicone oil. I use 80k oil. Needs a bit of work now and then as it leaks a bit at the outdrives but yu have the advantage of the loose diff off throttle with the locking properties of the thick oil on throttle.

I just need a bit of more work at the outdrives to seal it a bit better
Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by woodys3b

I agree with you,
I have run touring cars for years when I started racing minis ran with a ball diff but didn’t like the feel,
had to tighten the screw right down to stop the wheel that lifted in the corners spinning out and losing some drive.
Everyone is different but the only thing wrong with kit gear diff was one wheel would spin when not in contact with the track,
and if the gears spins too much would wear it out.
I have run kit gear diff for months now and it is still like new.
All I use is FG sticky grease (FG 6512) fill it up.
I think it’s smoother than ball diff that’s tightened right up but will rotate in corners when both wheels on the track,
helps the wheel that lifts from spinning. Might be a bit heavier,
The best bit for me, build it and forget it. Like you said (It's also as reliable as a hammer)
I’m still new to Tam mini racing and might be wrong,
But it works for me .

Last edited by bodymot; 08-28-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

I think you need to find what is best for you personally

I like my ball diff feel and it isn't as tight as it can go

I use a lot of thicker grease for the balls and the diff rings then the thrust bearing gets AW grease on it then i tighten it till it wont slip

stick it in and bobs ya uncle , worked loverly for over 6 months indoors and outdoors

I found with the gear diff if i added spacers it wore the teath off the innergears and no matter what oil / grease i added it just poured out after one race , i even tried the really thick grease for the 5th wheel on a Articulated lorry but that made a real mess . . . . . . . .
Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I run the mini sweeps, 40 front and 33 rear. I buy the 4 pack, that comes with tire insert and rim. I have to buy two packs (33 and 40). I just glue them and go! The sweeps last forever compared to tamiya. They are smaller in diameter, so on an open track you lose a little top end.

I feel that the sweeps are a great handling tire and for the price you cant beat them!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bodymot
I agree with you,
I have run touring cars for years when I started racing minis ran with a ball diff but didn’t like the feel,
had to tighten the screw right down to stop the wheel that lifted in the corners spinning out and losing some drive.
Everyone is different but the only thing wrong with kit gear diff was one wheel would spin when not in contact with the track,
and if the gears spins too much would wear it out.
I have run kit gear diff for months now and it is still like new.
All I use is FG sticky grease (FG 6512) fill it up.
I think it’s smoother than ball diff that’s tightened right up but will rotate in corners when both wheels on the track,
helps the wheel that lifts from spinning. Might be a bit heavier,
The best bit for me, build it and forget it. Like you said (It's also as reliable as a hammer)
I’m still new to Tam mini racing and might be wrong,
But it works for me .

For to put grease FG 6512.... is it necessary that the differential is watertight?
Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

I know what you mean.

I've tired antiware grease before and what as mess that made. Never the less FG grease has just arrived and I must say it's very, very thick.

I'm just going to wait a while now before putting it in
Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

I`ve tested the Spice slicks on carpet and they work really really good. The problem is that they`re twice as much as most others.

Does anyone know something else on RCmart that works just as good?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default I tried other thick grease types

I tried other thick grease types but with this one is really sticky and doesn’t go too thin when it warms up,
used to run it in 1/5 marder rear diff years ago.
Had none leak out of the out drives.
Been running it for a few months now had a little leak inside of chassis but only a small amount.
Just like how it feels coming out of corners and the best bit, build it and forget.
But everyone is different.
I’m still new to mini racing but just liked it better than ball diff’s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.