Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im planning to buy a brushless kit! Question is wich one? There are hundreds!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
The old design balldiff found in TA03 and the rest of them is a very clunky construction meant to fit inside older Tamiya cars across the entire range of hobbyist grade chassies they had at the time. It has various problems relating to reliability and even though it does the job, it is far from ideal. As explained above it can only be adjusted by taking the chassis apart which for a mini is not a two (or ten) second operation. Taking the chassis halves apart means taking out and puting back in the screws that go in plastic and eventually the plastic threads are stripped and you need a new chassis. Why bother? Apart from this, the TC style balldiff offers virtually infinite adjustability (as you probably know already) and doesn't need you take anything apart.

I did not check if any other TC balldiff fits, and I would guess no (or not without some creative engineering) but the Tamiya's offering is on par with the TRF balldiffs and that's a pretty high standard.
thnx for the input guys! I might be taking the M05 Pro as it has 54914 which is the ball diff. But then again that M03R is somehow growing in my heart lol.
I don't reckon there is much of a difference between the two chassis? I saw a review on the M05 on Rc-Mini and they say it needs some time for it to break in whereas the M03 is straight of the box off you go!
Being new to Mini and stuff,seems like a hard option for me
Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Project D
M05 Pro as it has 54914 which is the ball diff
Comes with a gear diff, not a ball diff, ball diff is an optional hop up.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Project D,

I have on the way a M05 kit, with the ball diff and bearings. However it looks like it will arrive after this weeks racing, so I wont be able to tell you what my thoughts are as a total noob.

My theory was that the M03 is at the end of its life cycle and the M05 is just starting. And I like a challenge. We have a mixture of the M03 and 05 at our club and to be honest I can't see the difference as a spectator.

I'll be documenting the build and how things go from my point of view once I get started so you might like to look at my views and compare them to that of a seasoned M03 driver.

But at the end of the day I don't think the M05 will suddenly make you a brilliant driver if you lack skill (But I'm hoping im wrong )
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lupin_au
Project D,

I have on the way a M05 kit, with the ball diff and bearings. However it looks like it will arrive after this weeks racing, so I wont be able to tell you what my thoughts are as a total noob.

My theory was that the M03 is at the end of its life cycle and the M05 is just starting. And I like a challenge. We have a mixture of the M03 and 05 at our club and to be honest I can't see the difference as a spectator.

I'll be documenting the build and how things go from my point of view once I get started so you might like to look at my views and compare them to that of a seasoned M03 driver.

But at the end of the day I don't think the M05 will suddenly make you a brilliant driver if you lack skill (But I'm hoping im wrong )
To avoid a lot of frustration, start with the aluminum steering and the aluminum front steering uprights. While the kit parts don't break, they do bend very easily. It will drive you crazy and if you are a newbie you won't figure out why your car doesn't work right.

The 3Racing steering bits work okay and are much less than the Tamiya parts. I've never used the 3 racing Steering uprights so can't tell you if those are any good or not.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Project D
thnx for the input guys! I might be taking the M05 Pro as it has 54914 which is the ball diff. But then again that M03R is somehow growing in my heart lol.
I don't reckon there is much of a difference between the two chassis? I saw a review on the M05 on Rc-Mini and they say it needs some time for it to break in whereas the M03 is straight of the box off you go!
Being new to Mini and stuff,seems like a hard option for me
Dont take anything into the breaking in period it is not true, more a setup issue ask some of the Sydney guys what they run however most are at the TITC at the moment.

MO5 is the better car it just doesn't have the setup history of the MO3 yet.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The M05 is a DIFFERENT car....it's not necessarily better....
Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi Project D,

The top 3 cars in the 2009 Tamiya World Cup were M05 (in L or M length). Just something to consider if comparing to an M03.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

wow I must say now I'm more convinced on buying the M05 Pro. thnx guys again for the help
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Mini REAR wheel drive?

Are the M04 kits---rear wheel drive competitive with the M03 and m05??
T
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
hi Project D,

The top 3 cars in the 2009 Tamiya World Cup were M05 (in L or M length). Just something to consider if comparing to an M03.

Would these same drivers have finished any different....if they had M03's to tear it up with??? The car.....the driver....the driver.....the car!!!!

R
Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
To avoid a lot of frustration, start with the aluminum steering and the aluminum front steering uprights. While the kit parts don't break, they do bend very easily. It will drive you crazy and if you are a newbie you won't figure out why your car doesn't work right.

The 3Racing steering bits work okay and are much less than the Tamiya parts. I've never used the 3 racing Steering uprights so can't tell you if those are any good or not.
That's indeed my opinion too. Trying to trace down what is wrong with a car that flops around is annoying to say the least.

The problem I found with third party after market parts for these cars (and others) is that they're not consistent. You can buy for istance a pair of rear uprights and discover they have different toe in.

Originally Posted by timmig
Are the M04 kits---rear wheel drive competitive with the M03 and m05??
T
While I don't have a M04, I can tell you my M02 (RWD M01) feels faster than the M01. In fact top speed should be the same as the gearing is identical, but acceleration is definitely much more responsive. The problem is to set it up so it doesn't go doing donuts on you every time you give it a squeeze. Tires are the key.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use the 3Racing steering system and for once the quality is great

no more slop in the steering and the screws are longer then original , so my girlfriend can hit as many barriers as she likes now and not pull the screw out of the chassis AGAIN !!!!!!!!

the 3Racing ball diff is great now i used the TRF screw and thrust washer , the speed tuned gear set is good now (figured out the instructions were wrong for the motor positions with thedifferant sized pinions )

i think the 3Racing stuff is getting better (not Tamiya quality) but not the Tamiya price
although i do use the tamiya uprights and steering blocks
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sounds like I should go with the new M05 pro kit and be done with it if I want to go Mini racing!!! Variable chassis lengths--and I can run the Mini Monster body?? Okay---here comes the Mini!!!
T
Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmig
Sounds like I should go with the new M05 pro kit and be done with it if I want to go Mini racing!!! Variable chassis lengths--and I can run the Mini Monster body?? Okay---here comes the Mini!!!
T
Tiimmmmaaayyyy!!!!

Tim, you GOTTA come out and join us at WCRC on Tuesday nights! We have a blast out there. This past Tuesday was a little light, but we've had up to 9 M chassied cars out on a given night.

The M04 will get you a little more top end then an M03...I think you can run a bigger pinion in them. I've heard they're a little touchier to drive too being RWD and all. they don't seem to corner as well as the M03 or M05. I have the M03 right now and it's working well for me. I'd get the M05 if I were to buy another car right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.