Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Must see video clip!!

And now for something different, check out this bit of You Tube vision we put together from our indoor midweek racing here in Oz. Have a Look!!

Cheers

John

Last edited by Mr_Gleeman; 10-09-2009 at 06:38 AM. Reason: forgot title
Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default mo5

just found this morning mo5 hop up pictures from tamiya.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=440
Old 10-09-2009, 06:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I can't believe they've split the steering gear into 3 separate hop ups! Expensive, too.

I do want to try the new ball diff though.

Jim
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Questions??

Any difference with the M-05 ball diff versus the TA03 ball diff?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think all you'd really need is the steering arms to lessen the slop.. the posts are stationery, it's more convenience than function, and the link is just a solid bar, it'll be clamped down on the small bearings of the arms, so the aluminum one won't have much effect either.

As for the diff, it's basically a Touring car diff, all nice and smooth when brand new.. without wrenching the hell out the thin screw and risk breaking it, how would we tighten it to reduce the diff action? At least with the TA03 diff we could just add another washer/shim or two, screw it down tight, and voila! No worries..

It'd be great for the M04, only if it fit...

I wonder if they'll be selling spare diff gears sometime..
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default diff

how do u know that ur mo3 diff is about to give out?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Even if tightened it should still feel pretty smooth when rotating the diff, not like it's full of sand.. there are a couple things that could give..

If it doesn't rotate smoothly, dismantle and clean everything really well, and test the diff balls (assemble the diff without the middle screw, and rotate while pressing the halves together) and the thrust bearing (rotate it while pressing between your thumbs). They should be very smooth when rotating.

If not, replace the diff balls, flip the plates, or just sand the existing grooves out with fine sandpaper laid on a flat surface. In the case of the thrust bearing, they sell them separately.

Then, pack the thrust bearing good with AW grease, just barely touch the diff balls with some diff lube, assemble, and rotate the diff for a minute on a drill at med-low speed. I use a hex driver bit to turn the screw while holding the gear. Test the diff movement, and tighten/adjust the screw accordingly. Things should be much smoother.

As for a gear diff, well, look at the gears for significant wear, but I've found they last pretty well with some lube in it. It's often the inner teeth that grip the driveshaft that go, but there isn't much warning for that..
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Even if tightened it should still feel pretty smooth when rotating the diff, not like it's full of sand.. there are a couple things that could give..

If it doesn't rotate smoothly, dismantle and clean everything really well, and test the diff balls (assemble the diff without the middle screw, and rotate while pressing the halves together) and the thrust bearing (rotate it while pressing between your thumbs). They should be very smooth when rotating.

If not, replace the diff balls, flip the plates, or just sand the existing grooves out with fine sandpaper laid on a flat surface. In the case of the thrust bearing, they sell them separately.

Then, pack the thrust bearing good with AW grease, just barely touch the diff balls with some diff lube, assemble, and rotate the diff for a minute on a drill at med-low speed. I use a hex driver bit to turn the screw while holding the gear. Test the diff movement, and tighten/adjust the screw accordingly. Things should be much smoother.

As for a gear diff, well, look at the gears for significant wear, but I've found they last pretty well with some lube in it. It's often the inner teeth that grip the driveshaft that go, but there isn't much warning for that..
its a gear diff
if u spin both wheels by hand it is smooth but as soon as u drive one it is horrible and graunchy
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Due for release 22nd October...

wow that's ugly! They should have came out with the original!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dannyboy15
its a gear diff
if u spin both wheels by hand it is smooth but as soon as u drive one it is horrible and graunchy
Heh.. we don't call the Mini class the "Coffee Grinder class" for nothing..

Yeah, spun with no tension it's fine, but the pressure of the drivetrain will always make them loud as hell.. sure, try AW grease or something really thick, but the noise often can't be helped..
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Has anybody seen the new ball diff for the M05? I'm interested in knowing if the cups that secure into the diff are slots like the new gear diff, or if they have the same spindles?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Hyde
wow that's ugly! They should have came out with the original!
Me likes it....
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scribbler
Has anybody seen the new ball diff for the M05? I'm interested in knowing if the cups that secure into the diff are slots like the new gear diff, or if they have the same spindles?

Thanks
here is the link to the diff, maybe you can answer the question yourself, cause I don't understand what your asking.

M05 Diff
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54194
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-header_54194_0001.jpg  
Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Andrew,

Do you know if the diff rings/plates are from the 501X?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.