Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

k_bojar,

Hey Calvin - what's the advantages of using a ball cup over the stock end on the steering?? For the one you have, did you have to modify the ball cup in any way or is it the stock length for the grey tamiya ones?

have you run the car with the heatsink setup? if so, does it make a difference?
Provides less slop on the ball studs. No modification is required. I will be changing the ball ends on the steering turnbuckles next. These will need to be cut shorter.

No I have not run the car with the new heatsinks, I only recieved them today. Maiden run tomorrow afternoon. I will pass on results.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

rnd_tang,

The slop in on the back wheels. How do I get rid of that? It's so bad that the bearings are even sliding out of their sockets. Place shims onto the rear axle to take out the slop. You will need 5mm diameter shims in 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3mm sizes

I also got the TA03 ball diff but when I give it full power and lock full left, the wheels will slow down and eventually stop spinning and when I release the steering it will start spinning again. Is it chattering just prior to full lock. If so reduce your throw left and right. How many "o" rings in the drive cup? Sounds like something is binding. Are you using mini shocks? Require more information to help out.

I've managed to strip one of the screw holes, what's the best way you guys found to fix this? I just pulled it apart again and put some CA in there. Havent put it back together yet but do you guys think this would suffice. Depends which screw hole you have stripped out. If i t is a plastic one then use a bigger screw. Place a piece of fishing line into the hole and then screw in screw and cut off excess fishing line.

Hope some of that helps, or gives you a starting point.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
the rims well I use Tamiya rims rarely due to being easily cracked. I am not saying that about the Swift rims as they are easily Tamiya's best.
Which other rims are good?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Hey guys does anyone have a link to where I can buy a m-05 pro here in the states? I can't find them anywhere.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Hey guys does anyone have a link to where I can buy a m-05 pro here in the states? I can't find them anywhere.
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=120&id=8653

In stock at speedtech
Old 09-24-2009, 12:43 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, rcspeedzone, Hare's Hobby, Rider's, Advantage Hobby, RCSlot ($117), & Omni Models.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

stocker,

I like the HPI star rims, the spice dish rims and the Solaris dish rims. The cross rims are very good as well.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stocker
Which other rims are good?

I use these myself.
(Pack of 8 rims)
Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MD
Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, rcspeedzone, Hare's Hobby, Rider's, Advantage Hobby, RCSlot ($117), & Omni Models.
Make sure to call before you order. There are a number of US based sites that claim to have them in stock, but as soon as you order they claim it's backordered. I'm still waiting for mine...
Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Tristar - I think you said you ordered yours from a local hobby shop. I think you said you ordered the Pro version. The local hobby shops in our area get their orders from Horizon and Great Plains (Tower). They only showed the standard version on their sites, but Tower is suppose to have it in at the end of this month.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Make sure to call before you order. There are a number of US based sites that claim to have them in stock, but as soon as you order they claim it's backordered. I'm still waiting for mine...
I checked tower and a few places this morning but I guess they all got them in today because they are in stock, but I will call before I order. I hate when places say they have them but then your added to the backorder list.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MD
Originally Posted by MD
Tristar - I think you said you ordered yours from a local hobby shop. I think you said you ordered the Pro version. The local hobby shops in our area get their orders from Horizon and Great Plains (Tower). They only showed the standard version on their sites, but Tower is suppose to have it in at the end of this month.
Yup, but when I ordered it they said it would be here yesterday. Now they say a few weeks. Oh well, no rush I guess.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Tristar -Check Tower occasionally. When they have it the hobby shop should be able to get it.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How come people dont mention the M04?
They are not as popular as mo3 or mo5?
Could they be raced competitively by a beginner against other tamiya minis?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
rnd_tang,

The slop in on the back wheels. How do I get rid of that? It's so bad that the bearings are even sliding out of their sockets. Place shims onto the rear axle to take out the slop. You will need 5mm diameter shims in 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3mm sizes

I also got the TA03 ball diff but when I give it full power and lock full left, the wheels will slow down and eventually stop spinning and when I release the steering it will start spinning again. Is it chattering just prior to full lock. If so reduce your throw left and right. How many "o" rings in the drive cup? Sounds like something is binding. Are you using mini shocks? Require more information to help out.

I've managed to strip one of the screw holes, what's the best way you guys found to fix this? I just pulled it apart again and put some CA in there. Havent put it back together yet but do you guys think this would suffice. Depends which screw hole you have stripped out. If i t is a plastic one then use a bigger screw. Place a piece of fishing line into the hole and then screw in screw and cut off excess fishing line.

Hope some of that helps, or gives you a starting point.

Regards,

Calvin.

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the responses.

I will go and get myself some shims tonight.

I m using TA05 shocks as I had a spare set laying around. As far as I m aware the shocks you get with the M05Pro are exactly the same as the TA05 ones, except they need that extra part to go over the shock piston to shorten it. I’ve only got one O ring is the drive cup. I did put some in the drive cup on the diff side as well because te dogbones were loose like crazy! Are they meant to be like that? Could that be my problem? And yes, it only starts chattering and stops spinning at full lock.

With the stripped screw hole… I ll just go and buy a new part. Its only 8 dollars.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.