Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robus
Its been a while since I posted here.
I've run m03s with Cooper body since the beginning.
I finally went to mid length, thanks to Fiat body.
It looks much better than Swift in my opinion.
Here it is. I based it on Ferrari's edition 6g5.
Rob
where did you get the body? or did you just get the M03M kit??

I'm kinda torn between the Fiat or the Abarth body
Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

For those interested the new Tamiya alloy motor mount fits like a glove and adds an additional 16 gms weight to the MO5 without the additional DF 03 heatsinks. I believe these will add an additional 5gms in total, so all up 21 gms. For those using the 3Racing alloy motor mount it weighs in at 10gms.

I hope to post pictures tomorrow night.

Regards,

Calvin

Last edited by caltek1; 09-23-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by caltek1
For those interested the new Tamiya alloy motor mount fits like a glove and adds an additional 16 gms weight to the MO5 without the additional DF3 heatsinks. I believe these will add an additional 5gms in total, so all up 20 gms. For those using the 3Racing alloy motor mount it weighs in at 10gms.

I hope to post pictures tomorrow night.

Regards,

Calvin
the extra front weight should help a little

have you tried the DF3 heatsinks on it yet? how do the mount to the plate? i'm waiting for my plate to get here, but can't visualize how they will fit on the chassis
Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

They screw onto the arm coming off the back of the motor plate at 90 degrees. They sit over the chassis behind the steering rack and below the steering rod from the servo.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hello,
I skipped through the last 10 pages and couldnt really find out about the difference between m05 and m05pro.
I would appriciate any help.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Super Steve
Hello,
I skipped through the last 10 pages and couldnt really find out about the difference between m05 and m05pro.
I would appriciate any help.
Look at Tamiyas website to see the differences
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Super Steve,

The MO5 Pro has some added bling parts which can be replaced on a MO5 kit by changing the rear hubs and adding a high torque servo saver. Do the bling bits make up for the body and extras you get with the standard kit, I suppose that is your choice. A pair of 1.5 degree rear hubs and alloy servo saver can be purchased seperately, so the car looks the same. Other bling bits are blue ball studs.

I think the MO5 is better value for money.

MO5 Ball Diff(New Style)

I received this E-mail response from Champ this morning regarding the new Tamiya MO5 Ball diff PNo 54194.

" Unfortunately Tamiya Japan has not announced 54194 yet,so I'm not sure when it will become available and its pricing ".

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Super Steve,

The MO5 Pro has some added bling parts which can be replaced on a MO5 kit by changing the rear hubs and adding a high torque servo saver. Do the bling bits make up for the body and extras you get with the standard kit, I suppose that is your choice. A pair of 1.5 degree rear hubs and alloy servo saver can be purchased seperately, so the car looks the same. Other bling bits are blue ball studs.

I think the MO5 is better value for money.

MO5 Ball Diff(New Style)

I received this E-mail response from Champ this morning regarding the new Tamiya MO5 Ball diff PNo 54194.

" Unfortunately Tamiya Japan has not announced 54194 yet,so I'm not sure when it will become available and its pricing ".

Regards,

Calvin.
I was under the impression these items are unique to the M05 Pro as well...

CVA Oil Damper Super Mini
Short Springs for TRF Dampers (Soft/Medium/Hard)
1150 Ball Bearings
850 Ball Bearings
Different wheels
Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
I was under the impression these items are unique to the M05 Pro as well...

CVA Oil Damper Super Mini
Short Springs for TRF Dampers (Soft/Medium/Hard)
1150 Ball Bearings
850 Ball Bearings
Different wheels
The ball bearings are a must too but thats about it. The rear aluminum hub carrier is not critical. The CVA oil dampers will help a lot, but since they are molded of the clear plastic type, they are fragile. Mostly everyone upgrades to the M-chassis black oil shocks or aluminum threaded dampers.

The original M05 is still a better deal if you don't need all the bling.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Tristar Racing,

You are correct, however I do support Dan's statements. The clear super cva shocks do not come out of the box, I would rather not have them as they are brittle. I run TRF shocks on my mini's. The bearings easily replaced with better bearings and the rims well I use Tamiya rims rarely due to being easily cracked. I am not saying that about the Swift rims as they are easily Tamiya's best.

I have included some pictures of two of my mIni's. These are both MO5's. I have also included a shot of the whalan track where we have a lead up event to our Nationals this weekend and some shots of the new Tamiya motor mount with heat sinks fitted.

Regards,

Calvin.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-dsc01907.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-dsc01912.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-dsc01915.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-dsc01917.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-dsc01919.jpg  

Old 09-24-2009, 03:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
where did you get the body? or did you just get the M03M kit??

I'm kinda torn between the Fiat or the Abarth body
Body is for m05 but is available separately. Part# 51363. I don't think Abarth is available yet. Car is m03s and stayed that way for last 2 years.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-abarth-58444.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-fiat-51363.jpg  
Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

I have included some pictures of two of my mIni's. These are both MO5's. I have also included a shot of the whalan track where we have a lead up event to our Nationals this weekend and some shots of the new Tamiya motor mount with heat sinks fitted.

Regards,

Calvin.
Hey Calvin - what's the advantages of using a ball cup over the stock end on the steering?? For the one you have, did you have to modify the ball cup in any way or is it the stock length for the grey tamiya ones?

have you run the car with the heatsink setup? if so, does it make a difference?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Rookie

hi im looking at starting racing soon would mini be good or am i better off running a tourer? i like the look of the minis and i guess they are cheaper?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by unlucky7
hi im looking at starting racing soon would mini be good or am i better off running a tourer? i like the look of the minis and i guess they are cheaper?
the best way to answer that is to look at what the local track has for a following.

if they have a good and solid following of mini drivers, then by all means get the mini - especially since you're digging the looks of it

if the track has no mini class, then you're better off getting a TC - the mini's are cool and people have tried to run them with the 'bigger' TCs, but they just can't honestly compete against a 4wd TC

see what the local track has and go from there nothing is worse then buying a chassis because you like it and then find out you have nowhere to race it (since you said you wanna get into racing)

-kaybo
Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi everyone,

I just finished building my first mini (M05 Pro).

I've just got a few questions so here goes.

The slop in on the back wheels. How do I get rid of that? It's so bad that the bearings are even sliding out of their sockets.

I also got the TA03 ball diff but when I give it full power and lock full left, the wheels will slow down and eventually stop spinning and when I release the steering it will start spinning again.

I've managed to strip one of the screw holes, what's the best way you guys found to fix this? I just pulled it apart again and put some CA in there. Havent put it back together yet but do you guys think this would suffice?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.