Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 05-18-2009, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I think it's just the bodyshells that are the talking point. They are very nice. I wouldn't run one myself, though. Our racing is fair too brutal to subject something that nice to.

There seems to be a battle brewing between HPI and Tamiya right now. HPI just beat Tamiya to the punch. They've introduced their new mini, cup and F1 racers to the market before Tamiya could, and now the big T is playing catchup.

I think Tamiya will probably come out on top in the long run. They've got deeper roots in the market than anyone else.

Jim
But HPI stuffed up bad with the switch trying to beat Tamiya that it isn't much competition
Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
I must admit, I'm bewildered as to the huge fuss that people are making over the Cup Racer anyway. It's just another 4WD Mini chassis. Sure the bodyshells are cool, but the chassis itself isn't all that exciting.
I couldn't agree more. HPI and ABC 1:12scale cars are basic rc designs made smaller with very detail bodys.

Tamiya makes them scale looking, scale function(scale drive train) and tough as steel!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is the actual production version of the Team Atlas Beat ISW.

Quite why anyone would buy a Cup Racer when you can get something like this is beyond me. Simple design, clean, and just flat-out awesome.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Quite why anyone would buy a Cup Racer when you can get something like this is beyond me. Simple design, clean, and just flat-out awesome.
Probably because the Beat is nowhere to be found in the US and its belt versus shaft, shaft being more dirty parking lot friendly.

Frankly the design is the same for all the cars. Just shrunken 10th scale TCs.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tiko
Well Granpa, first and foremost thanks for replying to my post. Let’s start with the track surface, carpet and asphalt. These are the two surfaces that I’m planning to race on as soon as I can get all my things together.

As for the inserts I have the Muchmore pinks and the Tamiya mini gray foams. Also when you say Muchmore on the outside and the Tamiya inside as a starting point do you mean doubling both of these inserts together?

Thanks Tiko
That's right. Put the cut insert in the tire and and then lay the foam in. After inserting the wheel, you'll be able to judge whether that's the firmness you want. Generally, the longer the insert, the firmer the tire will be.

I'm strictly an asphalt racer. Know diddly-squat about carpet. However, there will be a carpet track opening here so I'm looking forward to that. I suspect that the 55mm tires stuffed hard might be an answer, but will have to bow to experienced carpet racers like Jim,aka Monkeyracing.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's sweet! Looks like a shrukin down TA05IFS lol but the shocks are more like the CupRacer.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by iti20090
Hi Tony

It would be useful to update the list for the outside diameters as well. The nature of our local tracks makes the extra legs of the 60D tyres a must and I have long trolled the net for a 60D alternative to the Tamiya 60D, without success, maybe because that specification is not always mentioned.

Kind regards
Dave
I may be wrong, but the HPI cup racer comes wth 60mm tires. You have to use their rims tho
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
That's right. Put the cut insert in the tire and and then lay the foam in. After inserting the wheel, you'll be able to judge whether that's the firmness you want. Generally, the longer the insert, the firmer the tire will be.

I'm strictly an asphalt racer. Know diddly-squat about carpet. However, there will be a carpet track opening here so I'm looking forward to that. I suspect that the 55mm tires stuffed hard might be an answer, but will have to bow to experienced carpet racers like Jim,aka Monkeyracing.
Thanks I’ll try that.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think the Cup Racer has been selling like hot cakes because of the
1. adjustable wheelbase
2. neat variable battery holder gimmick
3. those datsun shells!
4. Hara going round beating people with his Cup Racer
but ya, mostly, it was because of the Datsun shells.

I almost got one myself but it was a lot of money for a mid-range car, so I got an ABC Genetic instead. If I had more sense, I would have just gotten back into 2WD and kept my M03. Haha.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa

may I ask what the benefits are of a harder tire?
I will be racing on an asfalt track soon, in stead of the carpet races we usually drive with our Mini's, so I'm most interested.
Also, as we can only use Tamiya-tyres, I guess I should go for the A-type mini-tires?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=sim600;5830655]I think the Cup Racer has been selling like hot cakes because of the
1. adjustable wheelbase
3. those datsun shells!
QUOTE]

My guess would be availability, because HPI has a readily established dealernetwork all around the world.
All the other manufacturers of mini 4wd's don't!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by sim600
1. adjustable wheelbase
3. those datsun shells!

I almost got one myself but it was a lot of money for a mid-range car, so I got an ABC Genetic instead. If I had more sense, I would have just gotten back into 2WD and kept my M03. Haha.
well your old M03 its up for grabs again....
Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Low_E
I will be racing on an asfalt track soon, in stead of the carpet races we usually drive with our Mini's, so I'm most interested.
Also, as we can only use Tamiya-tyres, I guess I should go for the A-type mini-tires?

Type A's are ok...but they are compromised on turn-in. I'd be inclined to lean toward S grips myself...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sim600
1. adjustable wheelbase
3. those datsun shells!

After reading this thread...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...cup-racer.html

...and judging by the numerous posts in that thread of people having to...

shim this, cut that, droop this, change that screw out, smooth out that bearing seat, use F201 springs, degrease the kit's bearings, swap out the thrust assembly with a spare Tamiya one and shaving off suspension arms, among other fixes too numerous to mention...

...the Cup Racer sounds like too much trouble.

It convinced me to buy the new Tamiya M05 chassis when it comes out.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Low_E
You adjust the handling of the car with the tire and insert combinations. Works the same as springs and shock oil. Where you'd go with a stiffer spring or heavier shock oil, you use a harder tire. Tires give larger changes than any spring or shock oil change in most cases.

Most of us around here have given up on the new generation 60d slicks or the A type for rear tires and only use them in the front under certain track conditions. S-grips seem to be the tire of choice except for the few who have the old cpd 60d slicks. Even those guys use them on the rear and use a soft S-grip in front.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.