Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by fatboy
What we would like to see from lee is to pratice more and his hand instead of putting too much attention to the kit.

Hope it helps

you drive your mo3 with me, you don flip and win me....i do anything of you wan.....

maybe too much 4wd driving.....

i ordered hand compound for my new pairs of hands...to tune my 2wd driving.....

hi caltek..

thanks for your feedback, i will work my seting from there...

cheers buddy,,,

Last edited by edwintklee; 10-22-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

I also bought myself an Orion 3400mAh Lipo and build it into my M-03m Swift.
It is meant to stay into the car so I taped it secure.
But I did some research about the weight-change. I allready learned before that a M-03-chassis needs some weight to drive well.
It kind of surprises me to hear some guys driving the Mini, weighing only about 1200 grams and not having any difficulties.
(We only drive the Mini with Standard Mabushi, Sport Tuned or Tamiya 23T-motors overhere).

So, as the Lipo was here to stay, I did the Lipo-modification described on rc-mini.net
(direct link to the article)
It is about building in some lead weights into the chassis.

I have tested the car once since this mod and my car drove exactly or better as it did with the regular 4200mAh NiMH-battery's before.

I might still try the car with some weight removed though, just testing things. It is around 1500 grams now, when body mounted and ready to race.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

... + quick question.

I will be running in a local competition shortly, but only have the Tamiya tyres that are allowed in our national Tamiya-cup.
In this other competition, tyres are open. which tyres do you guys reckon I should get to run on a carpet track with low to medium grip?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just got this in a trade
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-m03r1.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m03r2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm pretty new to all this mini stuff, but I mounted up a set of Tamiya M-Grip radials front and rear with the firm insert up front and the soft insert out back.

I've been VERY happy with this setup on our low to medium grip carpet, although I find I have to be very smooth with the inputs and drive good lines. If I'm too abrupt with steering inputs the car tends to traction roll.

I'm going to try double stuffing the fronts next to see if I can firm them up to take just a touch of traction out of the front end.

Hope that helps!

Mike

Originally Posted by Low_E
... + quick question.

I will be running in a local competition shortly, but only have the Tamiya tyres that are allowed in our national Tamiya-cup.
In this other competition, tyres are open. which tyres do you guys reckon I should get to run on a carpet track with low to medium grip?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

front M-grips with firm insert, rear M-grip with soft insert:

yep I did that too and it is very nice but I am trying to improve.
I'm using the foam inserts nown which ake the tyres firmer.
Also I've tried running M-grips in front and A-type Rear. Goes ok, but still not as good as some other drivers I ve seen turbo-ing around.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
I'm pretty new to all this mini stuff, but I mounted up a set of Tamiya M-Grip radials front and rear with the firm insert up front and the soft insert out back.

I've been VERY happy with this setup on our low to medium grip carpet, although I find I have to be very smooth with the inputs and drive good lines. If I'm too abrupt with steering inputs the car tends to traction roll.

I'm going to try double stuffing the fronts next to see if I can firm them up to take just a touch of traction out of the front end.

Hope that helps!

Mike
Double stuffing makes a big difference - on CRC carpet at Trackside we use double stuff S grips in front, m grips with single hard shaped insert in the rear. Jack the Gripper sauce, full to the rears, 1/3 to full in front (tune to conditions with the sauce). (Clean tires after each run with goof off.)

THis works well 99% of the time - only when we have our annual Novak race, where there are 200+ entries, lots of foam + traction compound laid down by all the sedans, and traction goes sky high, do we have to be a bit easier to avoid traction rolls. Try the s grips in front - I think you'll like it.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've had very good luck with Type A 60d slicks on the front, and 60d S-grip radials on the rear, all with firm inserts. It seems the slicks allow just a little more slip than the s grips, giving the car fairly neutral handling. I'm using Niftech front and rear about every three runs, just to get the gunk off the tires. We're running on a fairly grippy carpet, but I've found this setup is pretty good on lower traction surfaces as well.

I had a chance to run 55d super slicks on the front one day this past week, and it increased grip quite a bit, but didn't throw the car out of balance.

Jim
Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by edwintklee
you drive your mo3 with me, you don flip and win me....i do anything of you wan.....

maybe too much 4wd driving.....

i ordered hand compound for my new pairs of hands...to tune my 2wd driving.....
Hope with your new pairs of hand would make you a better driver and hope to see you on the 23rd Nov race.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

guys...try Powers slicks
www.harrisrc.com
I use 32s and 36s...he also has premounts and posts anywhere in the world
Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Xtant3150c
Just got this in a trade
super cool trade.......
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fatboy
Hope with your new pairs of hand would make you a better driver and hope to see you on the 23rd Nov race.

i will race if you race together with me......
Old 10-24-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by minidriver
Double stuffing makes a big difference - on CRC carpet at Trackside we use double stuff S grips in front, m grips with single hard shaped insert in the rear. ...
and which insert do you use then in the front-S-grips?
I guess the duoble stuffing makes them harder and thus loosing some grip in the front to avoid griprolls.
Is this correct?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

low e

u guess you are right, but double stuffing front tyre, will make rear more lasting...

can i have the same tyre for front and rear, this way i can rotate F to R , and vise versa, so i can save on tyre?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

well, I guess, saving on tyre is not really something we look for. As we run with the standard Mabushi, Sport Tuned of 23T Tamiya as maximum ... the car hardly wears, and so do the tyres.
One thing we noticed in a competition were we were only allowed the standard tyres of M-grips and NO tyre-products, was that the car became better and better to handle the more the front tyres weard out. Balanced became much better.
We got the side-grip out of the front-ryres (to prevent griprol) by applying some CA-glue on teh side of the tyres, which made the sides harder and less grippy.
We just had to do this in the beginning because after some time, the CA-glue-coat weared off, but the front tyres settled themself and the car stayed balanced. All I ever had to do was apply a bit of 5 of 10 grams of lead in the back to prevent massive oversteering which made the car go 180° in corners.

And so we could do a whole winter-season with one set of tyres.
We actually used more sets, just to try different set-ups ... but in the end stayed with the M-grips FR and R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.