Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by SeaKayCarthik
I think i remember reading before (couple years) that any manufacturer heat sink is allowed. so people started running (I think) those heatsinks with fans on them. Thats why I thougth this would be legal, but I guess its not a heatsink.

Carthik
Your right, it is not a heatsink. + it is not a Tamiya part

TCS Canada - is only Tamiya parts. Other screw sets are allowed, but not in the finals.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bodywerx
Your right, it is not a heatsink. + it is not a Tamiya part

TCS Canada - is only Tamiya parts. Other screw sets are allowed, but not in the finals.
Here is my take on it, seeing as it is a bolt on electronic part, I would say it is legal. But on the other hand, on a mini I see NO reason to add the weight. with the gearing in the mini, for a 5 minute race, my motor don't get hot enough to worry about a heatsinkk or a fan. if you are out playing for say a 4200 pack (30 min) then it might be useful. but then when in racing would you race 30 minutes? We ran mini's fo9r 12 hours, and no one used a fan. I think a few teams used the tamiya M03 Heatsink, just for gearbox support.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

are motor capacitors legal for tcs? anyone have any decent power increase from them? do they work?

Carthik
Old 01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Carthik if you are East Coast based find Tom Wright at thenext club race and he can give alot of stup help along with being the guy who runs TCS. As for the tire info it has all been posted in 1 way shape of form here. I would tell you to get to the track and do some testing. Troy does not like my Exact tire setup as much as much as David does not like Troy's. You will need to get a few sets of tires and find a happy place of what works for you. Comes back here and ask for some refinements based on what you find and we'll all do our best to help from there. Not trying to sound harsh but you need to get some track time in now.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Difuser
Carthik if you are East Coast based find Tom Wright at thenext club race and he can give alot of stup help along with being the guy who runs TCS. As for the tire info it has all been posted in 1 way shape of form here. I would tell you to get to the track and do some testing. Troy does not like my Exact tire setup as much as much as David does not like Troy's. You will need to get a few sets of tires and find a happy place of what works for you. Comes back here and ask for some refinements based on what you find and we'll all do our best to help from there. Not trying to sound harsh but you need to get some track time in now.
I know, but I want to order everything all at once with the car, thats why I have all the questions about tires. Thanks for all the advice your provided, I really appreciate it.

Carthik

edit
sorry for repeating myself, what type of touring car inserts were you using (soft or hard) on top of the m inserts. Was this for outdoor?

quick question:
which tire is stickier? M or S grip

Last edited by SeaKayCarthik; 01-21-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Just a quick tip we discovered here:

If you use the M or S Grips on carpet, try the HPI 26mm Yellow(red dot/soft) inserts, they work like a dream. They fit perfect, stiffen up the sidewall and still leave a bit of gap for traction.

Just wanted to share, now all I need is a good TA05 foam carpet setup
Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FreqETag
Just a quick tip we discovered here:

If you use the M or S Grips on carpet, try the HPI 26mm Yellow(red dot/soft) inserts, they work like a dream. They fit perfect, stiffen up the sidewall and still leave a bit of gap for traction.

Just wanted to share, now all I need is a good TA05 foam carpet setup
m03 or m04 chassis?

are you using the soft inserts all around? and are you using S and M tires only or a combination of both to keep the rear grippy (since only using one type insert). what is stickier, s or m? do you think it would be a good idea to use the same type hpi hard inserts up front and soft in the rear with same type of tires?

Carthik
Old 01-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SeaKayCarthik
m03 or m04 chassis?

are you using the soft inserts all around? and are you using S and M tires only or a combination of both to keep the rear grippy (since only using one type insert). what is stickier, s or m? do you think it would be a good idea to use the same type hpi hard inserts up front and soft in the rear with same type of tires?

Carthik
Here is a tip! Buy some tires and try them. buy 4 sets of A tires for asphalt, and buy a couple sets of M grips, and a couple sets of S grips. Get them and try them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! either that or stop asking everyone. I understand what your trying to do, but many people have tried to tell you what you need, get it bought and try it!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Here is a tip! Buy some tires and try them. buy 4 sets of A tires for asphalt, and buy a couple sets of M grips, and a couple sets of S grips. Get them and try them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! either that or stop asking everyone. I understand what your trying to do, but many people have tried to tell you what you need, get it bought and try it!
Whats with all the frustration? that is what I am doing, I am buying a set of A's, M's and S's. I just need to get the correct inserts now, thats why I'm asking. I dont have lots of money to glue a set of tires and notice the setup is wrong and then go and buy another set. What is wrong with asking everyone? Is that not what the forum is for? The main reason I keep asking, I cannot afford to buy tires and end up not using them like some people on the forum might be able to.

Carthik
Old 01-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Actually, I was letting our carpet brothers know what we were trying.. giggle...

I should have had my "new guy radar" on, but accidentally turned it off...
Old 01-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

SeaKay,

You need to understand the frustration.

Its not you asking all the questions, its just you have no test data to report, so it makes it really hard to tell you what to do or not to do.

As stated, if you have all compounds of tires, a few different inserts, you're set. Go run, wrench, rinse, repeat if necessary.

We all have a set or two of tires we guessed "wrong" on. Trust me. I wish I would have came here first to find out Type A's aren't a good choice for carpet!!

These guys ALL will help, and you have the TOP guys in the nation on here daily. You won't find a better place for info on the Mini.

You'll be fine, just drive the thing and let us know how she ran.....
Old 01-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Lightbulb tires

yah I have about 6 or 7 sets but anyway S,M & A's the kit tires work but ware very fast Hpi red's is good if anyone runs rubber touring cars I use the CS27 blue insert as well I'm sure someone will have a woreout set they will give u and just Cut it out ....not that inserts cost much...1 way to save some$$$$
Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Customworksking
yah I have about 6 or 7 sets but anyway S,M & A's the kit tires work but ware very fast Hpi red's is good if anyone runs rubber touring cars I use the CS27 blue insert as well I'm sure someone will have a woreout set they will give u and just Cut it out ....not that inserts cost much...1 way to save some$$$$
Where did you get inserts for a mini? The HPI ones have been long out of production, and I've only found 1 set on ebay. Or are you using cut touring inserts?

**edit**
Nevermind, I just re-read it.. dam sleepiness
Old 01-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FreqETag
SeaKay,

You need to understand the frustration.

Its not you asking all the questions, its just you have no test data to report, so it makes it really hard to tell you what to do or not to do.

As stated, if you have all compounds of tires, a few different inserts, you're set. Go run, wrench, rinse, repeat if necessary.

We all have a set or two of tires we guessed "wrong" on. Trust me. I wish I would have came here first to find out Type A's aren't a good choice for carpet!!

These guys ALL will help, and you have the TOP guys in the nation on here daily. You won't find a better place for info on the Mini.

You'll be fine, just drive the thing and let us know how she ran.....
Ok, understood, a bit more questions befoer I get my tires. What is stickier, M or S? and do you think S with hard 60D insert AND hard touring car insert would be too hard overall for carpet? too hard for outdoors?

Carthik
Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Hey BadCarma,

These inserts are just new out:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/defaul...&filter_id=280

Maybe they'll work?

Car Thick, there is no such thing as a bad choice of tire or insert ... wheel perhaps (damn those white abc rims!). I run at 4 different tracks, and when one tire won't work at one track, it will work great at another, when it won't work when it's hot, then it will work when it's cold, if it won't work on the M03, then it will work on the M04 or on a 4WD mini ... just buy your tires and give the rest of us some peace ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.