Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 02:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Finally got to paint this, as I was able to get a hold of some gold spray paint.

...and I did it again. There should be just a red striped in the back, and the rest of it (hatch mainly) should be white. I had even taped the outlines to the stripe really nicely, but for some reason forgot to block in the hatch area. Noticed my mistake a couple paint coats in.. Well, I wouldn't say I ruined it, but I am very disappointed. I am happy though that I got the stripes so straight, even and symmetric. There are some spots of overspray, but I've come to expect them, and in any case when I start using this body they won't be so noticeable with all the carpet gunk.

Commencing stickering some time next week. Then I also need to convert the M05 to the medium wheel base.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tamiya's releasing a new body. NSU TT Jaegermeister. Imagine this, but smaller. It'll probably be a big step up from the Colt version.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_0792.jpg  
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Finally, setup stuff that works on a Mini.
https://www.facebook.com/rcmini.net/...67191633529041
Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I can't trust my eyes to set toe anymore? Okay, eye, but it's usually pretty accurate, except when I'm seeing double.

Funny story, I once set up the alignment on my real car with a piece of string and a ruler in a truck stop parking lot.

EDIT: Did a little test fit just now with the super shorty and the M07. With both battery holders installed backwards, it needs about 1/4" (6mm) of foam to be held in place.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Alright, the CR-X is all stickered up now! I'm really liking the result (few nitpicks aside..), this is my best work so far! Compared to the 60s bodies I've done earlier, the more boxy 80s body was far easier to mask, paint and sticker. I'll see how (many laps) this holds up, and maybe I'll get another one in the future..

Still haven't driven it, but maybe later this week.
...just noticed when looking at the photos that I've put the Honda Oil and NGK stickers on in wrong order. Might have to fix it..

The real car / inspiration:

Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-dsc_0043.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-dsc_0037.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-dsc_0045.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-dsc_0042.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Where did you get the stickers?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Where did you get the stickers?
I designed the sticker sheet myself with Photoshop and had it printed out in a local advertising shop. If you want, I can share the sticker document. You just have to figure out where to print it.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mcmattila
I designed the sticker sheet myself with Photoshop and had it printed out in a local advertising shop. If you want, I can share the sticker document. You just have to figure out where to print it.
Mate, that looks MINT. Awesome work!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mcmattila
Alright, the CR-X is all stickered up now! I'm really liking the result (few nitpicks aside..), this is my best work so far! Compared to the 60s bodies I've done earlier, the more boxy 80s body was far easier to mask, paint and sticker. I'll see how (many laps) this holds up, and maybe I'll get another one in the future..

Still haven't driven it, but maybe later this week.
...just noticed when looking at the photos that I've put the Honda Oil and NGK stickers on in wrong order. Might have to fix it...
Yours looks better than the original IMHO. Now fix this nest of wire!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cjm_2008
Mate, that looks MINT. Awesome work!
Thanks! Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by heretic
Yours looks better than the original IMHO. Now fix this nest of wire!
Thanks! The box art was too street for me, so when I found this mugen livery I knew I had to try to replicate it!

I'll have to see what I can do about the wiring.. I'm not yet quite at the stage where I'd shorten the wires to make them neater, but maybe one day..
Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I had my pinion wear out on my M-05 last race. Looks like a bunch of shark fins. Its a 20 tooth pinion. I run a Orca 17.5 in it. Is there any special pinion I should replace it with? As in steel, aluminum, etc. What are the gears in the trans of the M-05? I assume its a 48p gear. Anybody know for sure?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by RussF
I had my pinion wear out on my M-05 last race. Looks like a bunch of shark fins. Its a 20 tooth pinion. I run a Orca 17.5 in it. Is there any special pinion I should replace it with? As in steel, aluminum, etc. What are the gears in the trans of the M-05? I assume its a 48p gear. Anybody know for sure?
The pinion are 0.6 module (.6 mod) and are very much not 48p. Robinson Racing makes steel versions (on 1120). Tamiya, Yeah Racing and Kawada make hardened aluminum versions. I'm a fan of the Kawada. Try TQ RC Racing first if you're in N. America. The other good international option is RC Mart.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The pinion are 0.6 module (.6 mod) and are very much not 48p. Robinson Racing makes steel versions (on 1120). Tamiya, Yeah Racing and Kawada make hardened aluminum versions. I'm a fan of the Kawada. Try TQ RC Racing first if you're in N. America. The other good international option is RC Mart.
Awesome info!! Thanks for the quick reply. I woulda messed up. Maybe that.s why my old pinion wore out so fast. I have no idea what it was since it came with a used car. It lasted quite a long time though so maybe it was right .6 mod.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Awesome info!! Thanks for the quick reply. I woulda messed up. Maybe that.s why my old pinion wore out so fast. I have no idea what it was since it came with a used car. It lasted quite a long time though so maybe it was right .6 mod.
The stock pinions are made of cheese and do wear out pretty quick.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The stock pinions are garbage. I'll only use them in a pinch. For some reason, I never can throw them away. I've got many in my spares collection.

One more piece of info - Robinson Racing sometimes refers to 0.6 mod as "48p Metric or 48M". It's utterly wrong. Not sure how they came up with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.