Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antlockyer
I also moved the ESC over to the right hand side to offset some of the motor weight. I really want to shorten some of the wires, its a terrible mess.
Are you referring to the motor/battery wires or the servo/ESC wire?
This is my M-Rage, but I cut the motor wires shorter and soldered it. Also for the servo/ESC wires I coil wrapped it around my screw driver shaft to shorten the overall length. If you are certain you won't be moving the electronics to another car, you can buy pins, connectors, and crimper to shorten the servo/ESC wires for a nice clean finish.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...bsr-m-rage.jpg

M05 how much servo travel do you guys have dialed in i.e. the percentage on your transmitter. I feel like I have to take a whole bunch out of mine to stop it overpowering the steering setup if that makes sense? Looks like it goes way too far.
It depends on my tire and suspension setup and course, but I do remember dialing out steering using dual rate on my M05.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
IMHO, getting super comfortable with your radio, the car, the setup is critical to getting good practice and becoming faster. Its not always a good idea to work on setup, its better to work on driving. You can drive a terrible car fast if your a good driver, and you can win a lot when you become a good driver with a good car. But if you spend your time finding the best setup, radio etc, and don't invest on your driving, you will never win. And your driving will improve much quicker when other things stay the same, like setup, radio etc. If you keep changing these things, you are constantly adapting your driving to them, instead of improving your driving. This is where Ivan was lucky. he has become an amazing driver, because he is too slack to work on his cars, and too cheap to buy his own good radio. He was easily the last driver in our province to still be using a 75mhz radio....
Too kind Aaron, but honestly I prefer my Futaba 3pk with 5 feet antenna that I could hold infront of my left shoulder with the antenna as a perfect counter weight than the current MT4 i got (20 plus club members ponied up the Radio and 7 receivers as a going away gift when I stepped down as the president of my club) which i still haven't figured out how to hold! It's a great radio don't get me wrong and super appreciative and will probably last the next 10 years at least!

And to report on my little box stock M03 experiment at our recent big trophy race. I did ok and had tons of fun. Qualified 11th out of 30. Only 8 racers in the A Main though. The TQ was in a league of his own about 0.6-0.7 seconds faster per lap than mine on 11 to 12 second lap times (about a month ago I did bring out my good M03 for club racing and was faster than his TQ car). I was about 0.2 to 0.4 seconds slower (under a lap count) than the top 15 qualifiers and 3 seconds from making the A Main (Axle182 qualified 2nd btw and had a good shot at TQ). Consistency times for me was about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds but no way I'm gonna make that up especially on a track with four 180 degree turns which my friction dampers don't like. Had a super fun battle in the B finals holding off a couple cars for 90% of the race hitting the brakes hard every corner so I could turn and also prevent those cars from diving into the corner to pass me. Close fun competitive racing is what it is all about!

One more big race next weekend for the indoor season so hopefully I can make the A Main this time.

Ivan
Old 04-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bmxcrx
Where did you guys get your M05v2R's from already? I'm hoping if I build one it'll spark my interest again in the Mini class.
6 kits were sold at a pre-release sale at Tamiya America's TCS event.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Ivan was winning by poking everyone's eye out with the 75MHz antenna..

Hi Ivan!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Ivan was winning by poking everyone's eye out with the 75MHz antenna..
So that's his secret to winning?
Here I thought it was that Ramen noodle flag we've heard so much about!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Time to get started...

Doh!!! I still can't find one.

Looks like end of this month more will be available???
Old 04-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default duel rate

Every radio maker's duel rate is different, so you must dial-in the duel rate for your particular radio, car and track. Remember that just because the wheels turn more doesn't mean your car will turn more (have more steering).
Old 04-07-2016, 04:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
...hitting the brakes hard every corner so I could turn...
This, from the guy that tells me to never use brakes!

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Every radio maker's duel rate is different, so you must dial-in the duel rate for your particular radio, car and track. Remember that just because the wheels turn more doesn't mean your car will turn more (have more steering).
Where you set your steering depends heavily on track condition, tires, sauce, temperature...the list goes on. For mini, my steering rate is anywhere from 65% to 90%. For my USGT car, it's a more consistently 75% to 85%.

Burn a few test laps at the start of the day, adjust your setup accordingly. You'll probably find as the day wears on, you'll need less sauce/steering %.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

Cool thanks I realise there are two parts to how much steering. One is per track with end points and rates set accordingly the more important one though is what is needed to dial in your initial end points to deal with the geometry of the car's steering setup.

Because my servo horn isn't quite centred I end up with a period of servo travel that provides no more steering travel at the wheels. This is more on one side than the other. I'll try and get the servo horn centred and work from there again.

Thanks for all the advice, just trying to get the car into the best place it can be to give me a chance to improve.

I'll post up some shocking wiring pics later, but I'm definitely going to shorten servo, esc to RX, motor (direct solder from ESC to it) and battery to ESC..
Old 04-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hprt
I still use the EX-10. Excellent radio. Been using it for almost 10 years.

I have one with a Spektrum module and data pack that I use for all my offroad cars, and a special edition Eurus that runs all my on-road cars. Then I have a couple extra for spares...

Sadly I made a mistake and mine is the EX-11 not quite the same thing
Old 04-08-2016, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
Doh!!! I still can't find one.

Looks like end of this month more will be available???
Sorry Eric. The m05v2r isn't available yet. You had to have been at the TCS race in Aliso (Tamiya America) to have purchased one of the 6 kits.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Because my servo horn isn't quite centred I end up with a period of servo travel that provides no more steering travel at the wheels. This is more on one side than the other. I'll try and get the servo horn centred and work from there again.
Set your servo to neutral, then fit the servo horn so that it is at right angles to the steering turnbuckle, then adjust the steering turnbuckle until the steering link is centered, (I find and mark the midpoint of the steering link and then adjust it until it is aligned with the centre line of the chassis halves).
Old 04-08-2016, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

Yes done thanks. Had to set the end points to 73% left and 81% right.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

So a few pages back someone showed a photo of their gears, -how they removed much of the plastic.

I am still curious about that. What do you all think about it reducing friction and thus helping the mini go faster????
Old 04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
So a few pages back someone showed a photo of their gears, -how they removed much of the plastic.

I am still curious about that. What do you all think about it reducing friction and thus helping the mini go faster????
Let me save you the trouble. Faster - No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.