Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, the #1 mini rule is low CG... After that, widest track width & CA tire sidewalls, etc....
Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmxcrx
Swapping the Reedy Mach 2 out for a D41S. Maybe now I'll be able to keep up in the straights.
Originally Posted by godzukihop
I just got a TEKIN GEN3, looks like we will both be testing on Sunday.
Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Race tonight! Day of sadness and repairs. Race Sunday!

That covers about 10 minutes. What are you doing after that?
Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
Have a couple of Black Can motors to break in for next weekend.
Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend. How did the motors and racing turn out?

Going to be testing some non Tamiya tires. Sweeps and Pits.
The Shimizu's are definitely a great choice. I use to race with them all the time back in the day and recently got a 55mm set for my M05. Very good grip and I like that they fit the Tamiya wheels. Sweeps are tad larger inner diameter so one would need to use their wheels. At least Sweep offers pre-glued. I have the 25 and 35(?) sets.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

Hi,
I've decided to get back into mini and have purchased a mo-5 ver2, which I am still building. I have been reading through the forum and have a few questions.
1) It appears full droop is run on the rear? what droops setting is run on the front?
2) are you using the shock limiters included in the kit front and rear?
3) what pistons are being used? box set up shows 3 hole front and 1 hole on the rear
4) what weight of oil is being used front and back?
5) what exactly do you mean by damper?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by solardragon
I'll take this one! Damper is just another word for shock absorber. It dampens or absorbs the movement of the suspension.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

"Shock Absorber" is American.

"Damper" is British.

"Dashpot" is for Old Farts.

"Dampener" is for those who like to make things Wet.

Last edited by howardcano; 11-24-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend. How did the motors and racing turn out?
My D41S was fast but that Tekin Gen 3 was on FIRE
Old 11-24-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Hi,
I've decided to get back into mini and have purchased a mo-5 ver2, which I am still building. I have been reading through the forum and have a few questions.
1) It appears full droop is run on the rear? what droops setting is run on the front?
3) what pistons are being used? box set up shows 3 hole front and 1 hole on the rear
Hey there solardragon

Droop - I'm not going to recommend anything, but on my track which resembles asphalt I use full droop on both front and rear on the V2 besides making sure both tires leave the ground simultaneously when I lift the chassis in the center.

Shock limiters - I used whatever the instructions said.

Pistons - When I was using the clear kit oil I ran 3 hole pistons front and rear. On my other dampers (including the 54000's) I run either 2 hole or 3 hole pistons using yellow oil. I like my dampers on the looser side for faster rebound.

Originally Posted by howardcano
"Shock Absorber" is American.

"Dashpot" is for Old Farts.
^^ I'm happy to report I am not old enough to know this language.

My D41S was fast but that Tekin Gen 3 was on FIRE
Dang... any plans on how to crank more output from yours?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi,
For low to medium traction carpet, I have been running this setup for a while:

Even though the M05 V2 has droop adjustment on the rear, I still prefer to build my shocks and set up the chassis using the old method - putting one o-ring under the piston to limit rebound length and running about 3 to 3.5 mm of ride height. None of the clubs I run with, including the WCICS series, specify a minimum ride height for mini, so you can use ride height to control droop - lower ride height will give you more, vice versa.

IF you run low ride height, you might want to invest in a set of turnbuckles for the suspension upper links to allow you to set camber independent of ride height. I run about 2° negative front and rear at 3.5mm ride height.

For pistons, I always use the largest hole versions and then tune using oil weight. For the 54000 series shocks, this is the 3 hole versions. I use red springs on the front, and match those with 30 wt oil. In the rear, I run yellow or blue springs and 40 wt oil with the same piston and shock length. I also run the heaviest rear sway bar for the M05. I adjust the oil weight and spring rate to get the level of rotation that I want - if the rear of the car is too planted and not rotating in the corners (loose is fast) then I will go to blue springs and 40 wt oil. If the car is oversteering, then I will back off to yellow rear springs and 30 wt oil. If the car is still oversteering with yellow rear springs, then based on my experience there is something else wrong.

When working on setup, any time I run into a foul handling mini, be it mine or not, the first thing I do is put on a new set of tires. Same tires front and back - S-grips. CA glue applied as required to the edge of the front sidewall/tread area to mitigate traction roll. Full sauce rear for 20 mins, full sauce front for about 5 mins. As the grip level comes up, the more front sauce you use, the twitchier the car becomes which makes it increasingly difficult to be precise and hit apexes. Sometimes, for the mains on Sundays, I skip front sauce all together - a small sacrifice in grip for a big gain in precision and control.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Scott, very well-presented good advice.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone looking for a HobbyWing XR10 just stock, Amazon has them going at $45.99 (free prime shipping) right now.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Anyone looking for a HobbyWing XR10 just stock, Amazon has them going at $45.99 (free prime shipping) right now.
Would it be an upgrade from the older blue plastic Juststocks?
Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Would it be an upgrade from the older blue plastic Juststocks?
I'm not sure, but for those just bashing around their m-chassis like me I pretty sure the blue will do more than fine. Amazon has those going at $34.99. I'd get that vs the XR10 now that Amazon has them in-house. They didn't have those back when I bought a handful of the XR10's.

Edit: I found that Amain was selling the XR10 for $40, but not sure if free shipping or not. Check it out.
I recommend one gets the program card.

Last edited by sakadachi; 11-27-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Hope you all in the USA had a great Thanksgiving.

..so, what did you all get during Black Friday?
I got the BSR m-chassis kit for kicks.. Wasn't a big sale, but was like $80 shipped.
Also got a R614FF-E for a decent deal, but still costed more than the BSR kit itself.

This is the last m-chassis kit for me, unless Tamiya releases a TRF version CF 4WD m-chassis kit, or ABC releases a 4WD m-chassis again.

Last edited by sakadachi; 11-27-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Folks, went digging in the rc closet for stuff to sell and found my M-chassis cars but just can't bring myself to sell them.

Is this the correct thread for ALL m-chassis cars ?? Haven't been on the forum much in recent times but I seemed to remember another thread for m-chassis cars. Have they all been merged into this one ?? Awful lot of posts here for just the mini cooper. Thread title should be changed.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Hey Folks, went digging in the rc closet for stuff to sell and found my M-chassis cars but just can't bring myself to sell them.

Is this the correct thread for ALL m-chassis cars ?? Haven't been on the forum much in recent times but I seemed to remember another thread for m-chassis cars. Have they all been merged into this one ?? Awful lot of posts here for just the mini cooper. Thread title should be changed.
Is that a FWD Tamiya m-chassis (M01, M03, M05)? If so, yes, this is the thread.

RWD Tamiya and M-Four have their own threads, TOP Racing and ABC m-chassis have their own threads as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.