Old 08-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to do well with my Northcraft Caterpillar body
What the heck is that! -that is crazy!!! Awesome though-
Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I saw that one of the guys I race w/ got 1st in the B-Mains in the mini event at TCS.
This gives me some perspective to what OSherman has accomplished. Dang, I am seriously impressed! Way to go OSherman!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys, complete n00b here. Been reading a lot of this thread. But I have a question that I haven't found an answer to. I built a M05 kit and like I do with everything, after some research, I made it harder. I got the VII chassis and suspension set, and assorted bits and pieces to put it together. My question:

Tamiya says to set the steering arm at 79 mm between ball connectors with the servo at 90 degrees. I'm a good 3 or 4 mm longer than that to get the wheels inline. Is that normal? Both M05 and VII instructions have the same measurement. But (I believe) the VII steering rod is longer than stock. I've got just a cheapo servo in it now and wondered if servo's are just that different or if it's something else I might have screwed up. The rod is not holding on by much as is.

Sorry if I missed a post on this, but this is a truly epic thread.

Last edited by AntiM; 08-28-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

No worries. This question came up recently. Tamiya's instructions were off (depending on which version you got!) The steering linkage should be at 90* to the servo saver, which will put the servo saver at a slightly forward angle from the servo.

Here's what you do: Build the linkage to approximately the right length. Attach the servo save to it. Make sure your servo is centered and your wheels are dead straight. Test fit the servo saver on the servo. Is the angle of the rod to servo saver 90*? If yes, clamp 'er down. If no, pop the servo saver off the servo, adjust length and try again. You'll end up with the saver offset forward just a little bit.

I think that's it, but I'm positive I'll be corrected in 3, 2, 1...
Old 08-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Well that certainly makes sense. It wouldn't be the first set of RC instructions that wasn't entirely accurate. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone in this thread. I've got a pretty decently set-up little car thanks to you. I will have more rookie questions though.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mega Mini Madness in 2 days at Jackson RC
TGR can't wait!!!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing

I think that's it, but I'm positive I'll be corrected in 3, 2, 1...
Hey,

Wait I'm not going to go there...
Never mind
Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Orlando,
First, congratulations. You drove a perfectly tuned car perfectly. You are the man... and a darned nice man too. Hey, we wear the same flip-flops, maybe something good will rub off.
Second, since you seem to be in such a talkative mood these days, can you help this traction-rolling old fool in the M03 you lapped several times over the weekend. Late in the 2nd Main you caught me just coming onto the straight (I started 6th, so that's how much track you gained). I gave you the inside and we drag-raced to the sweeper. Our cars were virtually dead heat. You didn't win because your car was faster, but when we hit the sweeper, you were gone. If I tried your line, I was in for a roll. Coming out of the sweeper, if I wasn't super careful with car placement, and full throttle, I was in for a roll. Ditto the inner right-hander. By the time I got to the top of the track, I was so unsure of which way it might roll, I had to pussy-foot my way thru looking like an old dope.
For next year I'm going to M05. Your black-on-black pictures only show some basics. What do you do with your shocks, so I won't have a repeat of this year?

Grandpa,
I know you've given away your cars and stuff, but please, if you can, come by the track and hang out for awhile. We really miss you!

Craig
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AntiM
Well that certainly makes sense. It wouldn't be the first set of RC instructions that wasn't entirely accurate. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone in this thread. I've got a pretty decently set-up little car thanks to you. I will have more rookie questions though.
Yeah, it's funny how the outer box illustration shows how the servo horn needs to be mounted to the long rod, but not the instructions manual.

Welcome to our mini world.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
I used to do well with my Northcraft Caterpillar body
Man, it has been 15 years since I last saw a Caterpillar body.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not to stir the pot, but personally I think the manual is ok on steering geometry versus having link 90 deg to servo because the link is not 90 deg on the steering upright.

Manual seems symmetric and looks better. 3rd place car at the Tamiya worlds a few years ago.

Mine is actually at 90deg to servo horn link primarily because that is where my radio trim is at perfect 0, and I do not want to have +30 on the trim just to get the servo to the above position (as it starts to have a weird effect on the epa of the servo).

Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Primarily you can have the horn parallel to the servo and still be at zero trim. But you knew that, right?

Basic geometry principles dictate the horn needs to be perpendicular to the rod to give equal linear travel for equal sweep.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Mr. O,
Congratulations on finally winning your trip to Japan!

Welcome to the "Missed it by that much but got it done" club.
You may have been waiting the longest?
Not sure, but I know what it feels like even though I only missed that last step up the podium a couple times before finally standing on top.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy but we all knew it would happen.

There's at least a couple guys still waiting to get in the clubhouse that need to get it done and surely will, maybe next year?

Dang, you and Rodzilla in Japan at the same time, gonna be like you never had to leave home.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Well, I moved the servo saver one tooth on the servo at zero trim which put the horn pretty much perpendicular to the steering rod, give or take a degree or two. Just over 78mm gave me zero trim on my radio. I feel better with a little more metal screwed into the links. Thanks guys.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
Manual seems symmetric and looks better.
I'm gonna stop you right there. It's for racing. Function first, form second. The symmetry in the steering based around the relationship between the rod and the horn. Base it on the servo and you end up with more difference in steering throw left/right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.