Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
My M04, not so much fun to drive..
The M04 seems to me to be a better design than the M06, with the exception of the rounded battery slot.

I had considered getting a RWD Mini after one race where I had qualified on pole with my M05, but got blown off at the start by an M06. The RWD really leaps out of the hole.

Unfortunately, any RWD car without foam tires, Mini or otherwise, is not a fun thing for me to drive, either.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

Question. The inside edge of the front wheel has worn through to the foam pretty much but the other side is fine. Is that an alignment issue (toe) or is it from the diff spinning the hell out of that wheel on the asphalt? It's the very inside edge...like 2 MAYBE 3mm from the inside of the rim? Tamiya 60d slick type a reinforced tires
Old 07-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
The M04 seems to me to be a better design than the M06, with the exception of the rounded battery slot.

I had considered getting a RWD Mini after one race where I had qualified on pole with my M05, but got blown off at the start by an M06. The RWD really leaps out of the hole.

Unfortunately, any RWD car without foam tires, Mini or otherwise, is not a fun thing for me to drive, either.
I see..yes, RWD is great for punching out for sure if the grip is there.

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Question. The inside edge of the front wheel has worn through to the foam pretty much but the other side is fine. Is that an alignment issue (toe) or is it from the diff spinning the hell out of that wheel on the asphalt? It's the very inside edge...like 2 MAYBE 3mm from the inside of the rim? Tamiya 60d slick type a reinforced tires
Toe does that. My FWD especially all wear the same way.
I run moderate toe out, just enough for the car to track straight. Try reducing your toe next time. It wont go away completely though due to camber..
Old 07-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I see..yes, RWD is great for punching out for sure if the grip is there.

Toe does that. My FWD especially all wear the same way.
I run moderate toe out, just enough for the car to track straight. Try reducing your toe next time. It wont go away completely though due to camber..
Ya it looks like a groove on it. I swapped wheels so I'll see if the other side does it.. my tires and rims aren't here yet but these will have to do. But I did just adjust the toe. I have toe out on it and it handles amazing.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

That's the infamous "death groove". That's been with minis since the very beginning. Just about always happens and is more obvious in "slicks". Not spoken about much now since we're mainly using treaded tires. Anyone who's been around Minis for awhile, especially when the Type A tire was in vogue, is familiar with that.

You didn't do anything wrong, you can't do much to fix it, you just sort of learn to live with it.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
That's the infamous "death groove". That's been with minis since the very beginning. Just about always happens and is more obvious in "slicks". Not spoken about much now since we're mainly using treaded tires. Anyone who's been around Minis for awhile, especially when the Type A tire was in vogue, is familiar with that.

You didn't do anything wrong, you can't do much to fix it, you just sort of learn to live with it.
Good advice Granpa lol. I tried toeing in the car a little just now....drives like crap. The toe out really really does make a difference lol. Shimizu is going to be similar?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Yup, and it's not just for Minis, either. Every rubber tire car I've ever run-- VTA, NASTruck (with HPI Vintage slicks), USGT, or 17.5 TC-- treaded or slick, belted or unbelted-- with negative or positive camber-- on carpet or asphalt-- has shown this.

I have no idea why.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Good advice Granpa lol. I tried toeing in the car a little just now....drives like crap. The toe out really really does make a difference lol. Shimizu is going to be similar?
Yup. Maybe not as bad, but it''ll show it's ugly head sooner or later
Old 07-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Yup. Maybe not as bad, but it''ll show it's ugly head sooner or later
Well that's the cost of performance. Hey just a question on set up and alignment. How does one check..acuratley the toe angles. I do alignments at work on real cars and I don't think Hunter makes a rack and alignment machine at 1/10 scale lol. And if so I'm not paying regardless lol. How do you guys check toe and all that?
Old 07-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Well that's the cost of performance. Hey just a question on set up and alignment. How does one check..acuratley the toe angles. I do alignments at work on real cars and I don't think Hunter makes a rack and alignment machine at 1/10 scale lol. And if so I'm not paying regardless lol. How do you guys check toe and all that?
I don't. This may get me in trouble with the purists, but putting your mini on a set up station is one the most if not the most idiotic things you can do. I speak from experience, having done it. There is enough "slop" in a mini, especially in front, that you're never going to readings of any accuracy.

I mean no disrespect for the people who like to measure everything, but most of the time I don't know what a lot of the things are. If the car acts like it needs to be lowered, I lower it. If it needs more toe I'll add it, less, I'll take it out. The only place I have good read on is the rear blocks, cause the blocks themselves come in certain toe ins. And half the time I couldn't tell you what degree blocks are on the car. I'm usually fiddling', cranking', screwin' things in and out, just don't have time. And couldn't care less.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default The play is true

I don't. This may get me in trouble with the purists, but putting your mini on a set up station is one the most if not the most idiotic things you can do. I speak from experience, having done it. There is enough "slop" in a mini, especially in front, that you're never going to readings of any accuracy.

I mean no disrespect for the people who like to measure everything, but most of the time I don't know what a lot of the things are. If the car acts like it needs to be lowered, I lower it. If it needs more toe I'll add it, less, I'll take it out. The only place I have good read on is the rear blocks, cause the blocks themselves come in certain toe ins. And half the time I couldn't tell you what degree blocks are on the car. I'm usually fiddling', cranking', screwin' things in and out, just don't have time. And couldn't care less.
YA! The play is pretty bad but for what the car is compared to some others, (and I base this on absolutely no experience with any other cars LOL). But to me a car should be tight and nimble but "loose and soft enough" to corner well. I shimmed the rear upper control arms to stop the wheels from moving in and out from the play, and that helped A LOT to keep the car straight-ER at higher speeds. Then the toe out trick, and voila!!...100% better car. Now the question.

How do you take the 'slack up' from the play, without making the car bind from friction on moving parts i.e upper and lower control arms??? Or is this one of those things that you just live with lol??
Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Anybody know who sells the bullet connectors (both male n females) and the wire
For the brushless motor setups???
Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

YA! The play is pretty bad but for what the car is compared to some others, (and I base this on absolutely no experience with any other cars LOL). But to me a car should be tight and nimble but "loose and soft enough" to corner well. I shimmed the rear upper control arms to stop the wheels from moving in and out from the play, and that helped A LOT to keep the car straight-ER at higher speeds. Then the toe out trick, and voila!!...100% better car. Now the question.

How do you take the 'slack up' from the play, without making the car bind from friction on moving parts i.e upper and lower control arms??? Or is this one of those things that you just live with lol??
Pretty much live with it. THIMMKKKKK. If I thought shimming out all the play was a good idea, I'd think a set up station -----.

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Be prepared for sticker shock. Get's a little pricey. Try TQ racing
Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Hahaha! You need to get yourself a 1:10 scale RoadForce balancer for RC wheels and tires too.

I don't really use a gauge for toe angles for my RC car. And I also cracked up looking at the TOP Racing settings page where it showed + values for toe-out and - values for toe-in. I just eye ball it pretty much to make sure it's even left to right and just drive to trial and error the setting. Basically my goal is to make the car track perfectly straight on/off throttle. Too much toe-out does dull the steering. Not enough toe-in on the rear causes straightline stability issues. You already know this cause you align real cars.

It's funny these setting pages also disregard thrust angle.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Try Omni Models.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.