Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

An interesting new glitch has developed since I installed the spacer behind the spur gear. When increasing throttle, there's a high pitched squeal, much like you'd get if the pinion were rubbing the inside of the gear case, or if you've got a worn pinion. Noise is not apparent when off throttle. I backed off the motor screws a tiny bit and the noise went away. I thought, because of this, that maybe my pinion was out too far, so I knocked it in a teensy bit. Same situation.

Seems a bit weird. Maybe an alignment issue in the gearbox? I'll be trying a few things, including a new pinion gear. Any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone now where to get the M03 A-parts, the black plastic. Not the gray plastic?

Thanks in advance, Robert
Old 07-14-2014, 02:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Anyone now where to get the M03 A-parts, the black plastic. Not the gray plastic?

Unless you find some old stock someplace, those are unobtainable. The last time I saw some was three years ago and that was a surprise. The only other option would be to find an Expert Built M03 somewhere. Those usually used black chassis.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey guys, for anyone running the tcs race on july 27th at jackson, john brown has spoken to fred at tamiya and it was agreed that we will be restricting the battery limit to 50c. this is due to the m05v2 being able to accept square packs. you can run the m05v2 but you must use the rounded battery as that is all that will fit in the m03 and m05. this keeps the field level and fair and prevents guys from sticking 100c touring car packs in their mini.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Has anyone bothered to test how much amperage a mini can draw and whether or not it makes a difference? (Hint: RC-Mini tested years ago with 25C packs and found they were capable of supplying more than the ESCs were drawing already)

If I'm running a 4200mah shorty pack that can supply 50c, we're already looking at 210a continuous output. Think your mini is going to draw that much? Running a giant 6000mah, 100c pack is probably only going to penalize whoever does so. That's just extra heft being hauled around by a car that can't use the juice.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey guys, for anyone running the tcs race on july 27th at jackson, john brown has spoken to fred at tamiya and it was agreed that we will be restricting the battery limit to 50c. this is due to the m05v2 being able to accept square packs. you can run the m05v2 but you must use the rounded battery as that is all that will fit in the m03 and m05. this keeps the field level and fair and prevents guys from sticking 100c touring car packs in their mini.

Can you please check those facts. John Brown had posted on here previously that a limit of the C rating was going to be 50c. He said absolutely nothing about being required to use a round pack. Because of John's previous statement, I purchased a square battery that is below the 50c rating.
Am I going to be able to use this?

Please let us know.
Thank you
Old 07-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Has anyone bothered to test how much amperage a mini can draw and whether or not it makes a difference? (Hint: RC-Mini tested years ago with 25C packs and found they were capable of supplying more than the ESCs were drawing already)

If I'm running a 4200mah shorty pack that can supply 50c, we're already looking at 210a continuous output. Think your mini is going to draw that much? Running a giant 6000mah, 100c pack is probably only going to penalize whoever does so. That's just extra heft being hauled around by a car that can't use the juice.
And....Brad still uses Yeah Racing 20C packs and whips everybody every single time.
You are bang on the money Jim, the extra C rating in a Mini means absolutely squat...
Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

And the guy that kicks butt at our club uses 4 year old yeah racing 3200 20c batteries that haven't been balanced in 2 years or more!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
And the guy that kicks butt at our club uses 4 year old yeah racing 3200 20c batteries that haven't been balanced in 2 years or more!
yeah id say mine are about that old, if not 1 or 2 packs even older and never balanced as removed the plugs as they just wore from rubbing
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
Once again I am glad I don't race in the US TCS. This is another example of bad rule making, just like the decision to go to any 21.5.

First of all there is no performance benefit from a 100c pack compared to a 50c pack in a mini. Second of all, hardly anyone is selling 50c packs now. This is just adding expense, when the best thing about the v2 is that it allows touring drivers to use the packs they already have.

The only positive I see is that the TCS is showing the rest of the world how NOT to regulate mini racing... makes it easier for us to make decisions...
Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Quick question. Earlier people mentioned the savox 1251 being the servo of choice for the mini's. Have had a look and there seems to be a 1251 and 1252 model being sold. Is there any difference and will both fit the mini?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 AM
Tech Initiate

+1 on the TCS rules in the US... those guys should learn how to make up their mind. They do know they're being silly, right?

Originally Posted by Thelittlesthobo
Quick question. Earlier people mentioned the savox 1251 being the servo of choice for the mini's. Have had a look and there seems to be a 1251 and 1252 model being sold. Is there any difference and will both fit the mini?
Check their site and you'll find this: SC-1251MG has a bit more torque and SC-1252MG has a bit more speed, little differences and yes, they'll fit.

Originally Posted by Robert_K

rcMart still has a few kits, the #58400 & #58427. Cheapest way to get parts... at least you'll have all of them then

Last edited by JosB; 07-15-2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: better info
Old 07-15-2014, 04:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
Can you please check those facts. John Brown had posted on here previously that a limit of the C rating was going to be 50c. He said absolutely nothing about being required to use a round pack. Because of John's previous statement, I purchased a square battery that is below the 50c rating.
Am I going to be able to use this?

Please let us know.
Thank you
Sorry jamie, you are correct. You can use a 50c square pack. I just meant that the round packs come in 50c and the square packs are harder to find below 65c.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:08 AM
Tech Rookie

FWD = Push, Understreer

RWD = Oversteer

Try using hard springs on the rear and lighter springs on the front as well as deficient treys. I've heard the hpi x patterns (for the hpi mini) work well.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stevenlewis
FWD = Push, Understreer

RWD = Oversteer

Try using hard springs on the rear and lighter springs on the front as well as deficient treys. I've heard the hpi x patterns (for the hpi mini) work well.

Thanks
?... you can get any chassis to do all those things by adjusting setup, what do you mean exactly?

x-patterns as far as I know are gone with the wind although I've seen them lately, they weren't the good ones HPI used to sell...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.