Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Hi, I'm not sure if they take pre-orders. You should try. It never hurts to ask. I've been ordering from Stellamodels since 2009. They're one of my favourite suppliers, along with Banzai Hobby, RC Mart and Vellrip. Between this group, you can get almost anything. There is one company I know of that does pre-orders for sure. They're located at 1999.co.jp
Thank you Jim for the advice,
IŽll give it a try!

Br,
Matthias
Old 06-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
It's not whether the Novak or Reedy are good motors, which they are, but how the rules are written. This is just my opinion, but neither motor, under the present set of rules, is competitive. This could all change if they start to make a high rpm rotor and/or change their zero point.

Your Thunderpower with the right rotor is competitive. There are several others that are very good also, but for Mini, the Novak and Reedy Mach 2 are not among them.
SRC thanks for your input
Bob alittle curious why you think that Reedy 21.5 aren't competitive
I'm pretty sure most of the top drivers that were really hauling ass around the track
Were running them compaired to my novak that couldn't hold a candle to them
I'm talking between 4 and 5 seconds off the mark too, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't
My ability because I was running clean lines and getting around the track clean too
The mini catagory has always been a quandry for us. Even with the silvercans until
We learned about the differences in them we were't competitive. And then Tamiya went
And up and changed the rules on us and put us back at square one...

Mike
Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My feeling on the reedy motor is the same at granpa. When the tcs motor rule was announced. I thought I was set. I already had a 21.5 reedy that I was using in my F1. Which was a very low use motor.
The reedy motor was instantly noticeably slow on the straightaway at tamiya. Literaly getting its doors blown off. I then ordered and installed the 12.3 rpm rotor. It made no difference. It was still slow. I ended up borrowing motors from other people to try which assured me it wasn't my car or esc.. in the end I bought killshot and have been very happy with it.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoBrainer
Drove my M-06 today and it was great fun!
Love the yellow paint.. Is that the Tamiya camel yellow?

You should post the picture on the M06 thread as well

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hread-101.html
Old 06-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
I'm pretty sure most of the top drivers that were really hauling ass around the track
I'm talking between 4 and 5 seconds off the mark too, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't
My ability because I was running clean lines and getting around the track clean too

Mike
Easy, comparison testing. I ran against a good friend, an A Mainer, whose car was a little better than mine and just drilled him. He had a Reedy Mach 2 and mine was a Speed Passion. We've both moved on to other motors. The Speed Passion is fast, but runs hot in my cars. A couple of the Mini Mafia are using them tho.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

M-05 Ver.II is together and on the shelf! Just waiting for the idiots at Hobbyking to hurry the F up and get my batteries to me. It's annoying when you pay extra for express shipping and nothing even gets put in a box for at least a week. I suspect they'll ship by Tuesday. It supposed to be 48hrs processing and out the door. It's looking more like 168hrs, plus however long FedEx Priority from Kuala Lumpur takes.

Rant complete. Have a good Monday!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

M-05 Ver.II is together and on the shelf! Just waiting for the idiots at Hobbyking to hurry the F up and get my batteries to me. It's annoying when you pay extra for express shipping and nothing even gets put in a box for at least a week. I suspect they'll ship by Tuesday. It supposed to be 48hrs processing and out the door. It's looking more like 168hrs, plus however long FedEx Priority from Kuala Lumpur takes.

Rant complete. Have a good Monday!
lol you can put something else in there for the time being. Get that thing on the track
Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

The mini catagory has always been a quandry for us. Even with the silvercans until
We learned about the differences in them we were't competitive. And then Tamiya went
And up and changed the rules on us and put us back at square one...

Mike
Without knowing exactly the ins and outs of TCS and the motors you're talking about, I can guess your motor might need some higher gearing that the mini doesn't allow for to make the most of its power. In other words, your motor may be very torquey but not that revvy. With minis this is a problem because you're limited in gearing, hence the need for a fast spinning motor.

Just to give you some idea, an old Hacker motor (17.5 turn) I used in offroad was so torquey I run out of options to gear it (in a Dark Impact) and it was still pulling hard, without overheating. I modified the tranny to accept larger pinions and kept cranking up the gearing until I again run out of room in the chassis. By now, the car was way faster but the motor still could have used more gearing (still wasn't overheating). I think this might be your problem.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by inpuressa
lol you can put something else in there for the time being. Get that thing on the track
Nah. No races lined up. I'm just really impatient. I want to get the last few details sorted. Unfinished projects drive me batty.

Regarding the current BL motor questions we've been seeing; I can't understand why they (Tamiya) would allow a motor war to start in a spec series. It's like farting in an elevator - bad for everyone.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
Easy, comparison testing. I ran against a good friend, an A Mainer, whose car was a little better than mine and just drilled him. He had a Reedy Mach 2 and mine was a Speed Passion. We've both moved on to other motors. The Speed Passion is fast, but runs hot in my cars. A couple of the Mini Mafia are using them tho.
SHMIT, Thanks for the info

Bob thanks I was wondering how you came to your conclusions
Guess I'll be in the market for a Thunder Power
I remember seeing something about the Speed Passion Motors that
they need some type of sensor boards for the timing to be adjusted where
the majority of the B/L motors can just have their timing adjusted on
the end bell
Anyone know if this is true? We're a low budget Team and trying to keep expenses down

Oh, To Niznai about upping the gearing in the Mini
Thats really not an option for us altho we would like to
Its against the rules for the TCS series and our local tracks we run at
We are limited to the internal Tamiya Gearing and a 20t pinion
Altho I do wonder sometimes if some of these guys are running some type of internal voodoo

Mike
Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Regarding the current BL motor questions we've been seeing; I can't understand why they (Tamiya) would allow a motor war to start in a spec series. It's like farting in an elevator - bad for everyone.
Jim I really ddn't want to start this thing over again , but when I saw the rumor mill cranking up last year about Tamiya changing over to the B/L
combos for the TCS, We shot an email over to them expressing our concerns
and disapointments in the supposed (for that time) rule change
and never even got a repsonse
That tells me that whoever got that idea in their head was fixated on it
and wasn't even going to change for whatever reason
Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Jim I really ddn't want to start this thing over again , but when I saw the rumor mill cranking up last year about Tamiya changing over to the B/L
combos for the TCS, We shot an email over to them expressing our concerns
and disapointments in the supposed (for that time) rule change
and never even got a repsonse
That tells me that whoever got that idea in their head was fixated on it
and wasn't even going to change for whatever reason
Were you at the MRH TCS race a couple weekends ago? The mini field was all over the place with motors. I did see a couple KillShots in the field as well as some Reedys. I ran a ThunderPower with a red rotor and it worked great. I did not have the pleasure of running a KillSHot to see if there was a difference.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by torg
Did some m05v2 testing today. Extremely happy with it

Love how it handles. I used a shorty pack on it.

I ran tape across the top of the battery, then slid it into the chassis, then under the bottom of the chassis. Then did 2/3 width tape on the right hand side and 1/3 width on the left hand side. But I like how Eric put the bullets on the right side. I'll have to try that. I can cut a little hole for the balance port in my transverse tape.

(I leave my battery in the car while charging)
I came by and Fred and I did some testing on mine in the afternoon; apparently you had left before then. I agree: car handles great and very easy to get a decent setup quickly. The fine tuning with the droop screws and balance with the shorties really helps!

Originally Posted by inpuressa
anyone notice on the V2 manual that the chassis/sus arm parts tree and motor mount don't have part numbers?
I've already discussed this, more than once.

Last edited by EricP; 06-16-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

A few pictures from this past weekend at the Tamiya track

Old 06-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like that paint job...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.