Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
Cool.

Would the fast gear set be better? And with what pinion?

I understand the EZrun set up used in the Mini is a 10.5t motor? I must admit I've only ran mine up the street but it does seem a bit faster than the silvercan, but like you say, loads of wheelspin!
The EZRuns people use are a 13T sensorless, and they are a 380 size motor in an oversize can. They have a lot less power than a 540 motor. I have never run one myself but I know someone who has and he found it similar to a Saturn 20 in top end but with a lot more acceleration - and front traction limits acceleration on Minis.

I'm sure a fast gear set would give you more options with the 13.5 but like I said earlier, I think it is too much power and not worth exploring. The fast gear set is also more fragile than the standard Tamiya gears.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sosidge
The EZRuns people use are a 13T sensorless, and they are a 380 size motor in an oversize can. They have a lot less power than a 540 motor. I have never run one myself but I know someone who has and he found it similar to a Saturn 20 in top end but with a lot more acceleration - and front traction limits acceleration on Minis.

I'm sure a fast gear set would give you more options with the 13.5 but like I said earlier, I think it is too much power and not worth exploring. The fast gear set is also more fragile than the standard Tamiya gears.
I'll report back with my findings after tomorrow night! I'll be running Sweep 33 slicks on the front with additive
Old 12-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

So I ran the car tonight with the brushless set up, I went quite well, not as quick as I expected. I'm on the 20t pinion, I wonder if the 16t pinion would be better?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

It depends on the track layout, but I'd say you'll be slower with a 16T. Unless it's a really twisty track. 20T to 16T is a big jump, 20% lower top speed for a start.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
It depends on the track layout, but I'd say you'll be slower with a 16T. Unless it's a really twisty track. 20T to 16T is a big jump, 20% lower top speed for a start.
It was a small twisty track last night, the car was starting to move at the end of the straight so that's what made me wonder about the smaller pinion. The thing that was amusing was the kit built diff, I hadn't got around to sorting that. If it was a real car I'd have expected to see smoke filling up the front wheel arches on exiting corners!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
It was a small twisty track last night, the car was starting to move at the end of the straight so that's what made me wonder about the smaller pinion. The thing that was amusing was the kit built diff, I hadn't got around to sorting that. If it was a real car I'd have expected to see smoke filling up the front wheel arches on exiting corners!
Maybe a tighter diff????? Or a gear diff if you're allowed to use them?????
Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'm running my m05 with a orca spark 2200kv system with s grip radials all around with soft insertsvup front and firm in rear sidewalls glued up front and a locked diff up front. I'm trying to get a little more rotation from the back end or more steering from the front it seems like i have to really slow for corners let the car catch up then i can turn and finish the corner this would be on 90-180 degree corners everywhere else it is flawless no nervousness no tailhappyness this is on medium grip carpet and my shocks are running 30wt in front with red springs and 50wt in rear with yellow springs 1.5 degree rear hubs in mid wheelbase configuration front is toed out as per kit instructions ride heigh at 3.5mm Any help to get this to turn better would be awesome. I think i just want the rear to be a little more loose going into the corner for more rotation and the front to dig in a little more on power. Thanks guys
Old 12-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default Ride Height

Justin,
Just raise the rear ride height a bit. That will transfer some weight onto the front for steering, and lighten the rear for rotation. If that doesn't work enough, you may have to lose the spool, as they make cars push on tight corners at low speeds. Grandpa posted several pages back how to make a nice tight diff for forward bite, but still uncouples the front wheels enough to turn. Good luck and report back...
Old 12-22-2013, 11:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Justin, try blue springs at the rear, with slightly higher ride height than the front. It might make the car a little more nervous, but with the tighter diffs we're all running these days, the steering needs to be found someplace.

I've been playing with suspension a lot lately. While I still can't drive worth a damn, the car seems to like white springs rear, yellow or red front, a little extra camber at the front and really neutral Ackermann. (front wheels turning almost equally) Like I said, I can't drive it to it's potential, but it's gained me about a second per lap at Carcar (Calgary).
Old 12-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the tips blue springs out back was my next step i got them on order i'll also try the ride height thing. I've been wondering howto increase camber up front is there an adjustable camber link kit i can buy??? I think a bit more camber might be the ticket aswell
Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Granpa, you have a PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys,

Regarding the steering on the M05, I have the 3 Racing alloy set up with the Tamiya alloy hubs. I've been using the rear holes and adjusted my EPA. I race on carpet and wondered what the effect would be if I changed to the front holes and set the EPA again?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Have a look at this post from a few pages back,
http://www.rctech.net/forum/12769854-post19936.html
Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justin33
I'm running my m05 with a orca spark 2200kv system with s grip radials all around with soft insertsvup front and firm in rear sidewalls glued up front and a locked diff up front. I'm trying to get a little more rotation from the back end or more steering from the front it seems like i have to really slow for corners let the car catch up then i can turn and finish the corner this would be on 90-180 degree corners everywhere else it is flawless no nervousness no tailhappyness this is on medium grip carpet and my shocks are running 30wt in front with red springs and 50wt in rear with yellow springs 1.5 degree rear hubs in mid wheelbase configuration front is toed out as per kit instructions ride heigh at 3.5mm Any help to get this to turn better would be awesome. I think i just want the rear to be a little more loose going into the corner for more rotation and the front to dig in a little more on power. Thanks guys
Hey Justin,

Just copy this setup and you'll be fine: http://www.rctech.net/forum/11940129-post10093.html

Even with barely any CA on the edges (none on sidewall) of the front tires the car doesn't traction roll. To get even more steering you can either not sauce the rear S grips or full sauce kit tires on the rear. Yes, kit tires.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Ivan
Old 12-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Hey Justin,

Just copy this setup and you'll be fine: http://www.rctech.net/forum/11940129-post10093.html

Even with barely any CA on the edges (none on sidewall) of the front tires the car doesn't traction roll. To get even more steering you can either not sauce the rear S grips or full sauce kit tires on the rear. Yes, kit tires.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Ivan
Thanks for the setup sheet!!! What adjustable front camber arms are you using or how did you set it up to be able to adjust it??? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.