Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have just moved from a really tired M03 to a M05 and waiting for the race season to restart. Granpas hop up list is useful. Other than shock mount and steering upgrades the list looks the same as for M03. I guess sorting the steering is the expensive bit, especially keeping with Tamiya parts.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Butler205
I have just moved from a really tired M03 to a M05 and waiting for the race season to restart. Granpas hop up list is useful. Other than shock mount and steering upgrades the list looks the same as for M03. I guess sorting the steering is the expensive bit, especially keeping with Tamiya parts.
Really the only parts you need are the aluminium steering posts and the high-torque servo saver - these take out the bulk of the slop that stops the steering from centreing. Also run the car with toe-out, 1mm on the steering links seems right for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The bearing upgrade early on would also prolong the life of the plastic steering parts if you do steering post upgrade. Otherwise the plastic parts will get more and more sloppy.

Jason
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
It's always a tradeoff between steering and out of corner launch. The current hot setup, for WCICS carpet racing at least, is a shimmed diff or a spool, soft springs up front, harder springs and possibly an anti-roll bar at the back.

The suspension setup is to compensate for the pig the car becomes when a spool is installed. Some are recommending the double jointed CVDs, but I don't think they're needed. I've watched guys win without. Spring steel components in the CVDs would likely be a good investment, though, as the stress through the driveline can create early wear on the outdrives.

I can PM you more detailed instructions on shimming a stock gear diff or about brands of spools you can get. Let me know.

jim
My diff is almost a spool now. It's packed with putty and doesn't turn very easily.
I have a rear roll bar with medium springs. I've tried soft springs up front, but the inside rear tire always lifts while corner with them, and I don't care for it, which is why I went to stiffer springs up front.

Did you found you had more on-power steering with a free turning diff?

Last edited by jha07; 02-05-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jha07
My diff is almost a spool now. It's packed with putty and doesn't very easily.
I have a rear roll bar with medium springs. I've tried soft springs up front, but the inside rear tire always lifts while corner with them, and I don't care for it, which is why I went to stiffer springs up front.

Did you found you had more on-power steering with a free turning diff?
Lifting the inside rear tire in a corner (with a FWD Mini) isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as the outside front is firmly planted and the inside front isn't diffing out you are getting the best weight transfer possible. I've got extra hard springs on the front and hard springs on the rear (no roll bars at either end) and I still lift the inside rear on hairpins.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

When I did race mini a little over a year ago with a MO-5 Pro Red springs in front Yellow in the rear no stabilizers and tamiya medium oil in all shocks, 1* negative rear camber, 1* negative front camber and 1* toe out in the front. I would always have a tripod in the sweeper and any corner tighter then a 90*.

I found that when I tried to eliminate this effect I lost corner exit grip and also had more corner entry push resulting in slower corners and .2-.3 tenth a lap loss.

If you watch some of the FWD racing that is occasionally shown on TV you'll see some of the cars lifting either of the rear inside wheel off the ground.

I went back to my old setup and when I went to bigger race event I noticed this happening to about half the other drivers too. It didn't bother me any, really all about personal taste.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
This question seems to get asked every 5 pages or so. Opinions vary, but I've got my M05 race Mini sitting in front of me and this is what it has. In one of it's last races it finished second with me driving, which is a big handicap. Also it had a box stock Silvercan, TQ'd, fastest lap, and the winner was using a Red Dot motor. In short the car is really fast.

1. Ball Bearings
2. TA03 ball diff
3. R1 Wurks universals
4. TRF shock
5. Option front shock mount
6. Rear roll bar
7. Aluminum front steering uprights
8. Tamiya aluminum steering and motor mount
9. M05 battery holder off set 6mm to the right. M03 holder on the left
10. Adjustable rear camber links
11. #53333 short TC spring set yellow front blue rears
12. Sweep 33 premounts.

This car started out as a regular kit and not as one of the option kits. I don't think I missed anything. For the TCS purists, just substitute a Tamiya part for #2 and 12 and you'll be TCS legal. I routinely run the R1 Wurks universals for all my races and practice except for the TCS events.

For those interested, Speedtech and TQ stock the R1 stuff.
Sometimes when you post stuff like this, it gets misinterpreted. This particular car did not start out looking like this, but was one that evolved. It was built out of the box except for bearings and TRF shocks which were on it from day one. Just thought it might be of interest to some as to how it evolved and why each bit is on there. And, no, you don't absolutely need all this stuff.

1. No explanation needed
2. A good gear diff is very difficult to build and I must emphasize the word good. The M05 ball diff was tried and was good, but i preferred the TA03 one.
3. Hit something and lost the dog bone.
4. Again no explanation needed.
5. Stock shock angle does not give enough steering. Too lazy
6. For my car, it settled down the rear end
7. Hit something and bent the stock one and lost the damned dog bone again
8. Hit something and bent the steering stuff. Motor runs hot in the M05 so used the aluminum motor mount for cooling. Helped a little.
9. Helps to balance the car, but the main reason was to keep the battery wires from bulging out the body.
10, 11, and 12 should need no explanation.

I just provided a list of stuff on my car and in this post, gave you the reasons they were there. If you don't hit anything, there are a few things on my list you don't need. if you're happy with the steering, don't need the front shock mount. If you know how to build a good gear diff, why use a ball diff. If the ass end of your car doesn't get loose, leave off the roll bar. If you don't care if the battery wires push the body out, don't bother offsetting the battery. And so on.

I don't expect anyone to run out and duplicate this car. Nor do I expect anyone to agree with my reasoning.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just piched up a M05 mini cooper kit an I see it has the plastic bushings. The manuals does not say what size the bearing replacements are. Does anyone know what size they are an where to get them.
Thank You Ron
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Granpa, For reference what color bar did you run for the sway? Oh and I am grateful for all that post up their setups as it gives me different things to try when I feel I hit a wall. Its a good resource to pull from.

Jason
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by big kid 37
Just piched up a M05 mini cooper kit an I see it has the plastic bushings. The manuals does not say what size the bearing replacements are. Does anyone know what size they are an where to get them.
Thank You Ron
Some places sell kits with all the bearings you'll need so you don't have to find the size of every bearing. I bought mine at rcmart for my m03.
Having said that, my kit already came with hub bearings, so I ended up with more bearings than needed.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Ron, the wheel bearing for the stock plastic uprights are 5x11 and the aluminum uprights are 5x10. The steering arms are 5x8.

Jason
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Awsome Thank you for the fast reply
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Oh forgot to add I believe that the transmission gear bearings are also 5x8. Can't remember exactly but there are between 4-6 in the tranny gears.

Jason
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by big kid 37
Thank You Ron
Telling someone what bearing sizes to buy can get a little tricky cause there are some variables. The best way is to look at your kit instructions and see what size the plastic bearings are. They will give you a size along with the part #. For example, if it says 1150, it is a 5X11 bearing. A 1050 is a 5X10. The small bearings are 850 which is a 5X8. The first # in the Tamiya designation is the OD. the second part is the ID.

There are 8 wheel bearings and they are either 5X10 or 5X11. There are 6 tranny bearings and they are 4 5X11 and 2 5X8s. There are 4 5X8 bearings in the steering. Again, double check this against the instructions in your kit.

Sources-----Avid for the cheaper sets. Both Acer and Boca Bearings provide better quality bearings. There are others, but these are my usual shopping sources.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Awsome Thank you very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.