Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The gears spin freely enough, they just make a little more noise than before. I'm tearing into the car this week anyway, so I'll have a really good look in the gearbox. Since I'm going to be into the gears anyway, I'll test fit in both grey and black chassis.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Okay, did some testing using three different M-03 chassis.

1. Newish grey chassis I've been running for a month
2. Really old RTR black chassis I used black gears in for a while
3. Brand spanking new black chassis

Here's what I've seen:

1. Grey - very minor scuff on inside near where spur meets pinion. Runs completely free otherwise.
2. Old black - Good sized worn area where larger portion of spur gear caught up. Same spot. See photo below.
3. New black - Installed spur gear and found it got jammed on the same spot.

So, yeah, there's a minor problem, but as pointed out on rc-mini.net years ago With all the gears in, put the 2 chassis halves together (Just rubber band them together) and then put an outdrive in each side of the diff. Now spin the transmission using the outdrives. You need to listen for any sounds of the gears scraping internally. That was written when the white gears were the only ones available. Just hit the offending spot with a Dremel and you're golden.

I did also notice the gear mesh was a little tighter using the black gears using both Tamiya and Robinson Racing pinions. A little sanding on the outer edge of the spur could easily resolve this.

So, there you go.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

So I take it the black gears don't really fit the black chassis.

Good excuse for not winning. "I got spur gear drag brake."

Time to start hoarding the white gears Jim.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
So I take it the black gears don't really fit the black chassis.

Good excuse for not winning. "I got spur gear drag brake."

Great, another tuning option for my mini....
Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default Spice CR-Z

I drive one in real life, so I thought I'd do one for my mini..

Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Mugen CR-X body in stock...
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default hpi miata body vs tamiya miata body

It seems that when I use the HPI Miata body, the rear body post specifically the antenna post is preventing the HPI body to be mounted properly (too much gap between body and wheels). The Tamiya Miata body is fine but I want to keep it for TCS race. Has anyone run into this issue with using HPI Miata body on M04? I've also built a M05 with medium wheelbase, however the HPI body seems to have same problem with rear body posts...

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-untitled.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

So I take it the black gears don't really fit the black chassis. Time to start hoarding the white gears Jim.
They fit, with some minor effort. With the exception of a set I've got, I haven't seen a set of the old white gears in about a year. BTW, while experimenting with just how free I could get things spinning this afternoon, I totally destroyed a new black chassis half. Oops!

Originally Posted by superspeed
It seems that when I use the HPI Miata body, the rear body post specifically the antenna post is preventing the HPI body to be mounted properly (too much gap between body and wheels). The Tamiya Miata body is fine but I want to keep it for TCS race. Has anyone run into this issue with using HPI Miata body on M04? I've also built a M05 with medium wheelbase, however the HPI body seems to have same problem with rear body posts...

Thanks.
Use a set of M-03/M-05 body posts on the rear. They're lower.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yep. I think part of the problem is the bearing holes in the black gears are slightly bigger than the white ones (different plastic shrinkage). This allows for more radial slop on the shafts because the bearings are looser. The spur sits in an area that's very tight. Also my black spur is about .2mm+ bigger in diameter than the white. Looks like you have to do chassis mods to fit them in.
I bought 50 sets of these black reinforced gear sets, yes 50. I sell them @ my local club races. some days its more of demo derby than a race. Especially when Jim AKA "monkeyracing" is on the track. Anyway more to the point of my post. All the sets I've tried, and I,ve tried alot all have over sized bearing openings. To correct this I've used a small centring punch to lightly punch and there for displace a small amount of plastic every few mm around the entire I.D. of where the bearing seats. Has curred my loose bearing every time with 100% success.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Hey now. I kicked your ass the other day. You're just jealous.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mister Pink
I bought 50 sets of these black reinforced gear sets, yes 50. I sell them @ my local club races. some days its more of demo derby than a race. Especially when Jim AKA "monkeyracing" is on the track. Anyway more to the point of my post. All the sets I've tried, and I,ve tried alot all have over sized bearing openings. To correct this I've used a small centring punch to lightly punch and there for displace a small amount of plastic every few mm around the entire I.D. of where the bearing seats. Has curred my loose bearing every time with 100% success.
Good idea Mr. Pink!

Wow 50 sets. Between you hoarding gears and monkeyracing hoarding chassis you Calgary guys are cornering the market on M Chassis stuff.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by clittle
I drive one in real life, so I thought I'd do one for my mini..

Looks good. I take back Spice makes ugly bodies.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, the stock M05 rear post don't work with HPI Miata body either; looks like this hpi body will be used on a cup racer ...

I'll take some photos on this HPI body with M05 soon and post them here.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-dsc00061.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

My bad. 03/05 FRONT posts on rear of car.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Did you drill a large enough hole to allow the antenna tube holder to come through the body? Look at the Tamiya body. It's the ~9mm hole next to the left rear body post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.