Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Thumbs up

RossoTorro,

They are a good price and as you say genuine.

Calvin
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I wish Tamiya would start installing these kinds of systems in the M chassis kits. It would end a lot of debate. Once these are as ubiquitous as 540 brushed cans, life will be slightly more relaxed.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I wish Tamiya would start installing these kinds of systems in the M chassis kits. It would end a lot of debate. Once these are as ubiquitous as 540 brushed cans, life will be slightly more relaxed.
Totally agree with you.

But Jim then no one would have something to use as an excuse.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Next! I'm about to build an M-06. I have, as many other also have) been suckered into the 12ga gazillion strand wire, in the past. I've decided on a new approach based on the idea that silver cans don't draw nearly enough to warrant wiring the size of a fire hose.

I bought some good quality 16ga silicone wire at the LHS and I'm going to run with it to see if it's good enough. I think it probably will be. If it's warm/hot after a run, I'll know I failed.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Jim
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Next! I'm about to build an M-06. I have, as many other also have) been suckered into the 12ga gazillion strand wire, in the past. I've decided on a new approach based on the idea that silver cans don't draw nearly enough to warrant wiring the size of a fire hose.

I bought some good quality 16ga silicone wire at the LHS and I'm going to run with it to see if it's good enough. I think it probably will be. If it's warm/hot after a run, I'll know I failed.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Jim
I've been running 16ga, just stuff left over from the 12th stock, no issues at all and it is just as fast straight line as the guys running 13ga, and it as a little lighter and easier to work with.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

There is no need to use 12g wire for a Silvercan. 14 g or 16g wire is plenty and you will not notice any drop off in performance.

This constant drumbeat of Silvercan detractors has become a little wearing. I understand the switch to the Hobbywing systems in Australia is understandable cause, if I'm not mistaken, you were using the Sport tuned or Blackcans. These motors were demanding of maintenance to keep them performing. Actually, they were a real PITA. Plus, they did not last very long, no matter how well maintained. I am also aware that the Hobbywing system is probably less costly.

I would welcome a switch to the Hobbywing system as used in Australia, but the PTB have no inclination to do this in the USA. So, until then, it would be much better to learn how to keep the Silvercans performing than this constant "bitching" about them. This reluctance may be due to some "politics" that none of us is aware of.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

OMG those are cheap....

Actually one thing which hasnt been stated about the hobbywings is that they are a little bit quicker than a sports tuned motor. The old olive can sports tuned motor could nearly keep up with one (depending on driver skill).

This also results in greater tyre wear and a touch more traction rolling.

Although i personally prefer that touch of extra speed and its not overkill for a class which potentially has a lot of different skill levels.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mangoman
OMG those are cheap....

Actually one thing which hasnt been stated about the hobbywings is that they are a little bit quicker than a sports tuned motor. The old olive can sports tuned motor could nearly keep up with one (depending on driver skill).

This also results in greater tyre wear and a touch more traction rolling.

Although i personally prefer that touch of extra speed and its not overkill for a class which potentially has a lot of different skill levels.
My M05Pro don't traction roll unless pushed too hard. We even run foams on our minis on carpet with only 20 grams above battery and 25 grams below servo. All run same set up, same motor (13T HW), esc (35A HW) and tires. It's all down to set up and driving skills at our track. Neither does i think it's harder on tire wear or or parts. My modified 3racing M05 diff has served me very well and are just as smooth as it was when new built. I had mine since release and only changed one gear set. I have completely changed chassi with a new one, that was mainly due to change to titan screws. Only thing that come to mind is dampers, the 54000 ones wore out the teflon seals and pistons...
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Regarding the HW system, I bought mine here at a great price;
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-...tem-combo.html
They even have a 10% off coupon code you can apply I haven't received it yet, but have purchased from this site before with out any problems.
SoCal
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Granpa
I would welcome a switch to the Hobbywing system as used in Australia, but the PTB have no inclination to do this in the USA. So, until then, it would be much better to learn how to keep the Silvercans performing than this constant "bitching" about them. This reluctance may be due to some "politics" that none of us is aware of.
If silver can vs Brushless was an issue in your country then people would be either leaving the silvercan side of the hobby or moving into categories where brushless motors were permitted.

In Australia this is what happened at a lot of clubs.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tdunster
If silver can vs Brushless was an issue in your country then people would be either leaving the silvercan side of the hobby or moving into categories where brushless motors were permitted.

It has been an issue in the USA for a number of years now and it eventually will probably move to brushless. If it were put to a vote of the racers, I believe most would go brushless. But that is not the case and we all have to live with it. Many of the guys from this country who post on this thread are TCS racers. TCS being the racing Series which Tamiya sponsors and for now we are using the Silvercan in Mini.

I believe you missed the point of my remarks. Which was, if you have to run the Silvercan, please quit "bitching" about it. And, it's not helpful for those with more enlightefed clubs and national organizations to comment on the wisdom of even having Silvercans. After hearing that for the 793rd time, it becomes a little wearing.

Believe me, nothing personal. Just really tired of this BL vs SC discussion.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Actually i think the main problem in australia that really pushed us to brushless was the really poor quality sports tuned motors which are now produced.

We generally speaking dont race silver cans in our minis.

The brushless system also had the advantage of being a lot more equal so people didnt have to go out and buy 3-4 motors to see if they had one decent one worth keeping for big meets.

Or a really big bag of sports tuned motors **COUGH COUGH** :P

However, just out of interest for people who race silver cans. Do you ban those red dot motors?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Tamiya mini cooper-p7244753_edited-1.jpg

Tamiya mini cooper-rctech.jpg

Just a couple of pics of my basher m-03 and M-04L

The BMW is my favourite. It's a M-04 which as everyone knows is a very nasty bit of work to put it mildly.

Hop ups in it were useless. The best setup I have is a set of standard springs worked over and over with a pair of pliers until they resembled a slinky for the rear and the siffest springs I could find for the front.

Completely inconsistent with a mind of it's own but a little bit of chaos every now and then is good for a laugh.

The ugly looking purple M-03 is my quickest mini and probably deserves a decent paint job. It's had everything from a silver can to a 7700 mamba in it.

Indestructable!!!

cheers everyone.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

It's had everything from a silver can to a 7700 mamba in it.

Indestructable!!!
So how good were the brakes in it
Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mangoman
So how good were the brakes in it
Not too effective when the universals were snapping in half.

Tip: Don't use Yeah Racing universals with a 7700kv motor.

The Tamiya universals were brilliant though. Using a MMP ESC it pulled up within about 30 to 40 yards from top speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.