Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 PM
  #12841  
Tech Master
iTrader: (33)
 
M03Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 1,190
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

I always wanted a Group B rally car, and the 1/12 Tamiya Toyota Celica Group B rally car is a hard car to come by so the next best thing is get a replica body. You can get a Celica body and the decal set and you can have a great looking Group B rally car, this body fits M03 and M05 chassis.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-start.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-front1.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-sider.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-sidel.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-back.jpg  

M03Racer is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM
  #12842  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
Xmod_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, just been having some problems withf my m03. I run the 3racing ball diff in te rear, and no matter how much i tighten it, iit seems like its just so loose. This is the 4th diff i tried and they all seems to do this. Please help? Is this a common issue?
Xmod_Racer is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
  #12843  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (26)
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xmod_Racer
Hey guys, just been having some problems withf my m03. I run the 3racing ball diff in te rear, and no matter how much i tighten it, iit seems like its just so loose. This is the 4th diff i tried and they all seems to do this. Please help? Is this a common issue?
The problem is that the M03 is front wheel drive, so putting a ball diff in the rear will definitely feel extremely loose.

Last edited by reenmachine; 07-21-2010 at 08:01 PM.
reenmachine is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 PM
  #12844  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Timbulb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I have installed an 8.5 brushless and run 3s 40c lipo in my M04. It goes pretty good but I have nothing to compare it to. I've done test runs on my street but I really have no good estimate of it's speed. I'm going to race it with the local drag racing club this weekend just to compare and get some numbers so I can better decide what to do next.

I'm just looking for some tips/suggestions on radio settings and tires etc. Crazy ideas will more than likely be entertained. So far I've run sticky mini tires and TC foam tires. The foams didn't work great but the diameter was larger so top speed increased. I'm assuming the track will be prepped with something so I'll bring many tires to try. The nitro musclecars dragsters use VTA tires, but they seem too hard for a light mini-chassis (even though I've added about 3 ounces of weight on the back), but I'll try them. I'll also have my trusty Niftech to sauce all tires with. I'll try anything else if I hear enough people suggest it.

Another thing I was wondering was what to lube the gears with. They're going to be the weak point.
__________________
Timbulb is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 PM
  #12845  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RossoTorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Euro-Thrash
Posts: 400
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xmod_Racer
Hey guys, just been having some problems withf my m03. I run the 3racing ball diff in te rear, and no matter how much i tighten it, iit seems like its just so loose. This is the 4th diff i tried and they all seems to do this. Please help? Is this a common issue?
Check the thrustbearing, if it's the original 3Racing thrustbearing in it then i bet it's worn out. Replace it with a Tamiya TRF416 one packed with AW grease and problem is solved, or even better change the diff to Tamiya TA03 balldiff like you should have bought from the start.
RossoTorro is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
  #12846  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RossoTorro
Check the thrustbearing, if it's the original 3Racing thrustbearing in it then i bet it's worn out. Replace it with a Tamiya TRF416 one packed with AW grease and problem is solved, or even better change the diff to Tamiya TA03 balldiff like you should have bought from the start.
why the TA05 ball diff ?? it is crap !!

For the 3Racing diff use the TRF thrust bearing , bolt and nut fitt the thrust bearing with AW grease , build the dif with a nice amount of diff grease , tighten the shit out of it and your away !!!

I have ran my 3Racing ball diff for 6 to 8 months now and only rebuilt it once , its ace
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
  #12847  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
Xmod_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RossoTorro
Check the thrustbearing, if it's the original 3Racing thrustbearing in it then i bet it's worn out. Replace it with a Tamiya TRF416 one packed with AW grease and problem is solved, or even better change the diff to Tamiya TA03 balldiff like you should have bought from the start.
i tried both of those but still my rear diff is too loose The front diff NEVER does this
Xmod_Racer is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 PM
  #12848  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xmod_Racer
i tried both of those but still my rear diff is too loose The front diff NEVER does this
ok good luck with your rear diff in a FWD car !!!!!!!!
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
  #12849  
Tech Adept
 
Bodies by Dana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Holeshot Kid.
Posts: 108
Default

Originally Posted by Xmod_Racer
i tried both of those but still my rear diff is too loose The front diff NEVER does this
I'm about ready to give up these M03's... I'm on my 5th rear diff! No matter how hard I tighten that sucker it still manages to blow. The expense of these diffs is emptying my RC funds... I just don't know what to do I even tried using a 3/4 inch drive ingersall-rand impact wrench! Still my diff slips. Looking for help, any tips appreciated.

Dana
Bodies by Dana is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
  #12850  
Tech Master
iTrader: (22)
 
andrew-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 1,210
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bodies by Dana
I'm about ready to give up these M03's... I'm on my 5th rear diff! No matter how hard I tighten that sucker it still manages to blow. The expense of these diffs is emptying my RC funds... I just don't know what to do I even tried using a 3/4 inch drive ingersall-rand impact wrench! Still my diff slips. Looking for help, any tips appreciated.

Dana
You say gear(i imagine a typo "rear") diff in the first part, but says it slips in the second part of the paragraph? Is it a gear or ball diff?
andrew-01 is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 PM
  #12851  
Tech Adept
 
Bodies by Dana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Holeshot Kid.
Posts: 108
Default

Darn, upon further inspection, I believe I had my body on backwards... I was wondering why the rear wheels were steering... I bought it used and I thought they did a rear steering mod to it... That or I didn't use the right size driver to tighten them... No wonder they didn't get tight...

Oops...

Dana
Bodies by Dana is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 PM
  #12852  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
Xmod_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by andrew-01
You say gear(i imagine a typo "rear") diff in the first part, but says it slips in the second part of the paragraph? Is it a gear or ball diff?
Its a ball diff fused with a flux capacitor
Xmod_Racer is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 PM
  #12853  
Tech Master
iTrader: (22)
 
andrew-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 1,210
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xmod_Racer
Its a ball diff fused with a flux capacitor
Ahh I see...but wait, why are the muffler bearings so loud??
andrew-01 is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
  #12854  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
Xmod_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by andrew-01
Ahh I see...but wait, why are the muffler bearings so loud??
mine do that too! Very big problem on these electric tamiyas. Usually to fix it i use fuel injector cleaner and clean the fuel injectors
Xmod_Racer is offline  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
  #12855  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RossoTorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Euro-Thrash
Posts: 400
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
why the TA05 ball diff ?? it is crap !!

For the 3Racing diff use the TRF thrust bearing , bolt and nut fitt the thrust bearing with AW grease , build the dif with a nice amount of diff grease , tighten the shit out of it and your away !!!

I have ran my 3Racing ball diff for 6 to 8 months now and only rebuilt it once , its ace
Are we talking about the M05 or M03 diff here from 3Racing?
The diff they have for M05 is better than their M03 diff that is utter crap!
And i agree, use TRF thrust bearing on it......
RossoTorro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.