Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
I bought the m05 mini and added all the hopups i wanted it is better value if you do this i think , the m05pro is ok but i think you need CVDs and alloy shocks before the alloy uprights
+1
Old 04-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Thanks for the info Granpa, and it's great to hear from you again. We'd love to see you up here in Camarillo again if you can make it up.

I do have a ball diff in the M03. I don't remember which one -- I recall there were two that fit. I tried one and almost immediately stripped out the ill-fitting splines, then tried the other, which worked but I don't know that it's all that much better than the bomb-proof gear diff. One was Manta Ray and one was ???

I will not be racing TCS so I'll go for the 3racing parts.

So it sounds like the way to go for me is to get a regular kit, add my TRF shocks, ball bearings, and the 3racing steering bits, and see how that feels.

What tires do you recommend for our dialed asphalt?
Build your car as a M or L version. Much friendlier and responds to tuning better. They do tune much different than a SWB car so toss out most of your SWB tricks. A SWB car is an "evil", twitchy, bite the hand that feeds it beast.

It was probably the TA03 ball diff and is IMO the best diff for a Mini if you use antiwear grease for assembly. Otherwise, no tricks other than to bottom out the diff screw.

Tires are a totally different deal. Some things are givens tho and #1 is that the grippier the track surface the more important tire selection is and insert selection becomes critical. This is where it becomes confusing. Also, the grippier the surface, the lower you run the car and the stiffer the set up.

Let's start with the tires we can get locally which are the ABC, HPI, RP, and the Tamiya tires. Believe it or not, a medium firm kit tire works well for front tires and you can try S-Grips in the rear. If the new surface you have is as good as I've heard, the tires won't wear that fast as the rapid wear comes from the tires sliding. The ABC has a little less grip than the RP, which is the grippiest of all the tires mentioned. The best tires for your use might be the HPI belted X-pattern (#4565) up front and the HPI radial (#4530) in the rear. At WestCoast, that combination is very driveable and fast. Can't tell you what insert cause the tires were glued 4 years ago.

As far as inserts go, cut down TC inserts give you the most flexibility. Start out at 155-160mm in length. You can vary the hardness of the tires by the length of the insert. The longer the insert the harder the tire. I'm partial to the Muchmore Pink and the HPI yellows and greens. For the Tamiya tires, the Muchmore Pink with the Tamiya soft blue foam is my favorite combo. That's the insert that came in your Muchmore Premounts.

Sorry to all for the long answer, but, Pete, you can pm me cause we're just scratching the surface about tires. If you want more info on the other tire types and/or makes Tony and his Australian group seem to have the best handle on that. I try to stick with just what is available here locally.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

What swaybar, shock oil, and spring should I start with for out door?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
What swaybar, shock oil, and spring should I start with for out door?
Unless Tamiya came out with somethng new - there is no swaybar kit for the M05... The M03's can fit, but it needs to be bent to not bind the front end

pm Casey from Maryland -he had theM03's on his M05 at the Slowbirds

might wanna try shirt white fronts with blue rears - I heard that worked decently for some of the Brownie's guys outside, that's what I'll start the day with on mine...along with the kit oil- was too lazy to get different
stuff when I built mine
Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default shocks

Originally Posted by jcr
anyone tried the Yeah Racing aluminum shocks from RCMart? http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dam...?cPath=389_390

Looks like one of the reviews said it has difficulties installing onto M03.... anyone have problems? What is the right length to get? 55mm?
A mate and myself tried them a year or so ago. We will never be so stupid again.
If you want low cost but good shocks buy the 3 racing ones.

Terry
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Ash
A mate and myself tried them a year or so ago. We will never be so stupid again.
If you want low cost but good shocks buy the 3 racing ones.

Terry

May I know what's wrong with it?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So I gather from a search that the S800 body is for the short wheelbase configuration. Is the Abarth the way to go for medium wheelbase? Is there a long wheelbase M05 kit or do you have to run the new-style Mini Cooper body?

EDIT: Now I see the MiTo for long wheelbase...
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

So I gather from a search that the S800 body is for the short wheelbase configuration. Is the Abarth the way to go for medium wheelbase? Is there a long wheelbase M05 kit or do you have to run the new-style Mini Cooper body?

You also have the Swift for 'm' wheelbase as well
Old 04-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

I successfully converted my M03 intn M05 today. Used the parts leftover from converting the M05 to Xevo, so it was all the chassis parts and steering from the M05, mated to the suspension and gearbox of the M03. It was pretty straightforwards apart from needing to use M05 upper links because they are different to M03 (M03 ones use themselves for the screw thread, whereas the M05 ones pass through and screw into the chassis).

Apart from that, it was simple.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Default M05 bumper weight seller?

I seem to remember that one company was (planning?) on selling molded lead inserts to fit inside the M05's front bumper. Does anyone know who it was/is?

Did a forum and google search but couldn't find anything.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just fill mine with solder. Hey, it works.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default weight

Originally Posted by Shangrila
I seem to remember that one company was (planning?) on selling molded lead inserts to fit inside the M05's front bumper. Does anyone know who it was/is?

Did a forum and google search but couldn't find anything.
tech racing made the part you are looking for the part # is mr5070
hope this helps i have one in my car.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jcr
May I know what's wrong with it?
We found the yeah racing shocks leaked almost as fast as you could fill them. Theyhad 2 "O" rings and spacers in the base to seal the shaft. We found the actually worked as a pump when being used and pumped the oil out.

Terry
Old 04-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys im buidling a M05 to start racing soon still need to pick my radio, can people tell me what radio they use for racing minis ?

cheers
Old 04-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The gun MWB body is the Ride Subaru Impreza .. but obviously not from Tamiya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.