Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 PM
  #11716  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
X-ray ones will. I used these since there were some in the spare parts box. The TC5 should work also. The Tamiya ones are slightly smaller so probably will be a much better fit.

Look, I only go thru all this hassle cause the M05 ball diff does not create any level of confidence. That little 2x25mm diff screw worries me and the outdrives seem to be very soft from the ones I've seen. Tamiya is selling them, the screw, nut and nut holder, for $6. It shouldn't cost them more than 30 cents. Somehow that just doesn't seem right. Nothing against them making a profit, but -------
The 2mm screw is what most TC cars use and they don't have any more trouble with that than with anything else. If a mod TC car can use that screw, I don't expect you would have any more trouble given you have much less power. Try it and see how you go.

I have to mention here, quite a few people at our track broke that screw in TRF cars and my impression grew that it was something to do with Tamiya and their screw/diff. They then changed it to a "normal" 2mm capscrew you can get at most screw places and problems went away. No reason to buy the Tamiya screw if you don't really like it, and I agree it's expensive for no good reason. But then again such is everything with Tamiya.

The only change is that you may have to use a hex driver to adjust the diff if you don't cut a slot in the screw head.
niznai is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 06:16 AM
  #11717  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
fleetmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,653
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Not sure I follow the cutting a slot bit.
The M-05 ball diff needs a hex driver for tension. What do you gain by slotting the head for a screwdriver ?
fleetmaster is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 AM
  #11718  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
Not sure I follow the cutting a slot bit.
The M-05 ball diff needs a hex driver for tension. What do you gain by slotting the head for a screwdriver ?
True, I keep forgetting that. In a TC car, the screw comes with a big slot which allows a long thin rod to be inserted through to lock the screw when tightening up the diff. I keep forgetting the M05 balldiff comes with a cap screw and this doesn't exactly line up with the outdrive slot so this may not work on minis.
niznai is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 AM
  #11719  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 291
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The reason the screw works on a TC and fails on a Mini has nothing to do with the power the motor is making. In the Mini, the idea is to tighten the diff way tighter than you would in a TC to get it to act more like a limited slip diff. People also use AW grease in the diff to get the same effect. In a TC, you want the diff to be just tight enough that it doesn't slip so you tighten it till it's snug then back it off till you have the right tension on the spring.

I see no reason to cut a slot in the screw. Every one I have seen is tightened with a hex driver.

Andy
woodys3b is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 AM
  #11720  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by woodys3b
The reason the screw works on a TC and fails on a Mini has nothing to do with the power the motor is making. In the Mini, the idea is to tighten the diff way tighter than you would in a TC to get it to act more like a limited slip diff. People also use AW grease in the diff to get the same effect. In a TC, you want the diff to be just tight enough that it doesn't slip so you tighten it till it's snug then back it off till you have the right tension on the spring.

I see no reason to cut a slot in the screw. Every one I have seen is tightened with a hex driver.

Andy
The right tension on the spring depends on motor power and grip available at the wheels. The more power and more grip, the more likely the diff will slip unless is tight.

If the screw head doesn't line up with an easily accesible opening there is little reason to slot it (you could space it out if it was long enough). In a TC you actually have an access hole in some cars (Xray, latest tamiya, etc) whereas others are built such that the screw head is accesible through the outdrive slot.
niznai is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
  #11721  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (35)
 
tiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by timmig
Yeah-- I race 1/5 scale---I"ve got a couple of guys looking for cars. I don't recall what you've got. But bring your 1/12 down to Westcoast next Tuesday and we'll work on it!! I've got mine working okay--still need to make some adjustments but it's getting there.
FWIW
Tim
Tim please check your PM thanks

Tiko
tiko is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 AM
  #11722  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Holland, Gouda
Posts: 113
Default

I heard that there is an Suzuki swift body of an other brand then Tamiya wich fits on the M03S chassis. (rover mini cooper version short wheelbase).

Does someone know where to get it and of what brand it is?
Arjen is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
  #11723  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 193
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by niznai
The right tension on the spring depends on motor power and grip available at the wheels. The more power and more grip, the more likely the diff will slip unless is tight.

Power and grip have nothing to do with overly tightening the M05 diff screw. As Woody said, its about making the diff action more like a spool, so you get better drive out of the corners.

I found a good replacement screw. Its made by Losi for their 1/18th MT. Can't remember the part #, but it is gold color(titanium coated), has a slotted head & the shank isn't threaded all the way + it comes with a heavy duty nut. Haven't been able to break that one & my diff is really tight; to the point that the thrust bearing has become. the next weakest link; broke 2 so far & looking for a better replacement
mariob62 is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 12:03 PM
  #11724  
jcr
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
Default

Originally Posted by Arjen
I heard that there is an Suzuki swift body of an other brand then Tamiya wich fits on the M03S chassis. (rover mini cooper version short wheelbase).

Does someone know where to get it and of what brand it is?
Colt makes a mini Swift in the short wheelbase
jcr is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
  #11725  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 598
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Arjen
I heard that there is an Suzuki swift body of an other brand then Tamiya wich fits on the M03S chassis. (rover mini cooper version short wheelbase).

Does someone know where to get it and of what brand it is?
Originally Posted by jcr
Colt makes a mini Swift in the short wheelbase
And I belive RC-Mart(Dinball on ebay) has these for sale.
JustMe2 is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
  #11726  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
fleetmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,653
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Mario / Woodys, I agree totally with your theories. I was trying to not flame Niznai , for once again handing out very questionable (IMO) information.

Basically you need it as tight as possible. As your torque is transmitted through only two tyres, it is critical to limit slippage.
On high grip surfaces , a dedicated spool makes my car wander too much at speed,though exit drive is awesome.

So I'm after a super tight ball diff, for max drive. I now have a Venom ball diff, which i'll look at modifying for durability and uprated clamp load.
Will post results...
fleetmaster is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
  #11727  
Tech Master
iTrader: (25)
 
timmig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trabuco Canyon-- in the Pines!!
Posts: 1,769
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Okay--- I'm trying to find Long wheelbase bodies for my new MO 5's--where is the best place to find these? Looking at Ebay---there's a lot of them out there--but shipping from overseas is expensive. Is there anyone here in the states stocking these guys?? I picked up a new MO 5 kit---but the body in it is for a short wheelbase--and I would think--longer is better if these things are a little twitchy!!
So HELP!!!! What's the best answer???
Tim
timmig is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
  #11728  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (108)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,289
Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default

Just pick up a 06 Mini Cooper from Tamiya....thats a LWB and handles awesome!
Originally Posted by timmig
Okay--- I'm trying to find Long wheelbase bodies for my new MO 5's--where is the best place to find these? Looking at Ebay---there's a lot of them out there--but shipping from overseas is expensive. Is there anyone here in the states stocking these guys?? I picked up a new MO 5 kit---but the body in it is for a short wheelbase--and I would think--longer is better if these things are a little twitchy!!
So HELP!!!! What's the best answer???
Tim
Core Creations is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
  #11729  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by niznai
The right tension on the spring depends on motor power and grip available at the wheels. The more power and more grip, the more likely the diff will slip unless is tight.

[...]
Originally Posted by fleetmaster
Mario / Woodys, I agree totally with your theories. I was trying to not flame Niznai , for once again handing out very questionable (IMO) information.

Basically you need it as tight as possible. As your torque is transmitted through only two tyres, it is critical to limit slippage.
And how exactly, may I ask, is what I said above different to what you said?

Originally Posted by mariob62
Power and grip have nothing to do with overly tightening the M05 diff screw. As Woody said, its about making the diff action more like a spool, so you get better drive out of the corners.

[...]
I am aware of what you're trying to achieve.

Regardless of what your reason is to tighten the diff the same laws apply and the key limiting factor to all of this is friction, be it between wheels and road or balls and ballrace. What you're trying to do is balance the grip available at the wheels against the friction generated by the tension on the spring. You can indeed tighten the screw until your diff is well and truly locked, if there is no grip at the wheels they'll just spin. If there is enough, then come first corner your wheels will fight one another and something has to give. If the diff doesn't slip, then one of the wheels will. Past that point there is nothing to achieve no matter how much you tighten the screw. And I don't think at that point you would have tightened the diff screw more than in a TC car with some real power.

But that's beside the point anyway. The idea is you can get a grade 12 M2 screw at a good nut and bolt place.
niznai is offline  
Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 PM
  #11730  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 193
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Don't get your knickers in a twist. Other people are entitled to their opinions. Some of the info you post is misleading & we don't want any noobs to Mini to go down the wrong road.
mariob62 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.