Like Tree235Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Reply

Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 AM
  #10411  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (16)
 
Mr_Gleeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 262
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Must see video clip!!

And now for something different, check out this bit of You Tube vision we put together from our indoor midweek racing here in Oz. Have a Look!!

Cheers

John

Last edited by Mr_Gleeman; 10-09-2009 at 06:38 AM. Reason: forgot title
Mr_Gleeman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 AM
  #10412  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (41)
 
subaru73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Auburn
Posts: 904
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default mo5

just found this morning mo5 hop up pictures from tamiya.


http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=440
subaru73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:44 AM
  #10413  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,226
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I can't believe they've split the steering gear into 3 separate hop ups! Expensive, too.

I do want to try the new ball diff though.

Jim
monkeyracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM
  #10414  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
nozauta619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 498
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Questions??

Any difference with the M-05 ball diff versus the TA03 ball diff?
nozauta619 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM
  #10415  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
Jam-ehz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 592
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I think all you'd really need is the steering arms to lessen the slop.. the posts are stationery, it's more convenience than function, and the link is just a solid bar, it'll be clamped down on the small bearings of the arms, so the aluminum one won't have much effect either.

As for the diff, it's basically a Touring car diff, all nice and smooth when brand new.. without wrenching the hell out the thin screw and risk breaking it, how would we tighten it to reduce the diff action? At least with the TA03 diff we could just add another washer/shim or two, screw it down tight, and voila! No worries..

It'd be great for the M04, only if it fit...

I wonder if they'll be selling spare diff gears sometime..
Jam-ehz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM
  #10416  
Tech Initiate
 
dannyboy15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: england
Posts: 41
Default diff

how do u know that ur mo3 diff is about to give out?
dannyboy15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
  #10417  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
Jam-ehz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 592
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Even if tightened it should still feel pretty smooth when rotating the diff, not like it's full of sand.. there are a couple things that could give..

If it doesn't rotate smoothly, dismantle and clean everything really well, and test the diff balls (assemble the diff without the middle screw, and rotate while pressing the halves together) and the thrust bearing (rotate it while pressing between your thumbs). They should be very smooth when rotating.

If not, replace the diff balls, flip the plates, or just sand the existing grooves out with fine sandpaper laid on a flat surface. In the case of the thrust bearing, they sell them separately.

Then, pack the thrust bearing good with AW grease, just barely touch the diff balls with some diff lube, assemble, and rotate the diff for a minute on a drill at med-low speed. I use a hex driver bit to turn the screw while holding the gear. Test the diff movement, and tighten/adjust the screw accordingly. Things should be much smoother.

As for a gear diff, well, look at the gears for significant wear, but I've found they last pretty well with some lube in it. It's often the inner teeth that grip the driveshaft that go, but there isn't much warning for that..
Jam-ehz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM
  #10418  
Tech Initiate
 
dannyboy15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: england
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz View Post
Even if tightened it should still feel pretty smooth when rotating the diff, not like it's full of sand.. there are a couple things that could give..

If it doesn't rotate smoothly, dismantle and clean everything really well, and test the diff balls (assemble the diff without the middle screw, and rotate while pressing the halves together) and the thrust bearing (rotate it while pressing between your thumbs). They should be very smooth when rotating.

If not, replace the diff balls, flip the plates, or just sand the existing grooves out with fine sandpaper laid on a flat surface. In the case of the thrust bearing, they sell them separately.

Then, pack the thrust bearing good with AW grease, just barely touch the diff balls with some diff lube, assemble, and rotate the diff for a minute on a drill at med-low speed. I use a hex driver bit to turn the screw while holding the gear. Test the diff movement, and tighten/adjust the screw accordingly. Things should be much smoother.

As for a gear diff, well, look at the gears for significant wear, but I've found they last pretty well with some lube in it. It's often the inner teeth that grip the driveshaft that go, but there isn't much warning for that..
its a gear diff
if u spin both wheels by hand it is smooth but as soon as u drive one it is horrible and graunchy
dannyboy15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 AM
  #10419  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 945
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
Due for release 22nd October...

wow that's ugly! They should have came out with the original!
Hyde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM
  #10420  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
Jam-ehz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 592
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dannyboy15 View Post
its a gear diff
if u spin both wheels by hand it is smooth but as soon as u drive one it is horrible and graunchy
Heh.. we don't call the Mini class the "Coffee Grinder class" for nothing..

Yeah, spun with no tension it's fine, but the pressure of the drivetrain will always make them loud as hell.. sure, try AW grease or something really thick, but the noise often can't be helped..
Jam-ehz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
  #10421  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
scribbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Has anybody seen the new ball diff for the M05? I'm interested in knowing if the cups that secure into the diff are slots like the new gear diff, or if they have the same spindles?

Thanks
scribbler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
  #10422  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
Shake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 30
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
wow that's ugly! They should have came out with the original!
Me likes it....
Shake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
  #10423  
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Default

Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
Has anybody seen the new ball diff for the M05? I'm interested in knowing if the cups that secure into the diff are slots like the new gear diff, or if they have the same spindles?

Thanks
here is the link to the diff, maybe you can answer the question yourself, cause I don't understand what your asking.

M05 Diff
tamiyarcracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM
  #10424  
AWK
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
AWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,006
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54194
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-header_54194_0001.jpg  
AWK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
  #10425  
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Default

Andrew,

Do you know if the diff rings/plates are from the 501X?

Thanks
tamiyarcracer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service