Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
  #8911  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mugler
if they did they would cell a ton of batteries
Punny!
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
  #8912  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
tony gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,549
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by edwintklee
hi guys,

its new technology, can this power our cars overs our current 8.4 lipo??
Check out this nice little youtube video from our good friend Grahoo-san who has already been trying out this technology

Have a look HERE
tony gray is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM
  #8913  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (28)
 
fordmike65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LOS ANGELES. CA
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

nice video.looks like a good match for the Mini,maybe the begining of another M class. He must really dig Lady Gaga
fordmike65 is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM
  #8914  
ruf
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
ruf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 548
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

These new LF batteries are cutting edge technology. I'm pretty stoked about them even though their capacity is a little low. The voltage is a little low for our application, but nothing that can't be fixed with brushless or a hotter motor. 6.6V batteries could be just the ticket for 1/12 scale... Apparently A123 developed them in conjunction with MIT. A few of the major Chinese battery manufacturers are spooling up production this month as well. I'm kicking around using these for a 1:1 EV project later this year.
ruf is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM
  #8915  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Originally Posted by ruf
These new LF batteries are cutting edge technology. I'm pretty stoked about them even though their capacity is a little low. The voltage is a little low for our application, but nothing that can't be fixed with brushless or a hotter motor. 6.6V batteries could be just the ticket for 1/12 scale... Apparently A123 developed them in conjunction with MIT. A few of the major Chinese battery manufacturers are spooling up production this month as well. I'm kicking around using these for a 1:1 EV project later this year.

Can't wait for aaa sized batts. 2 cell Awd pan for the "other" mini.
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 PM
  #8916  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

So I don't suppose you'd want to hear about the new lithium battery that Sanyo is developing that gets to full charge in 90 seconds?

Jim
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
  #8917  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
So I don't suppose you'd want to hear about the new lithium battery that Sanyo is developing that gets to full charge in 90 seconds?

Jim

OK Jim tell us, but do they explode when over charged?
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 PM
  #8918  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I only heard a quick blurb about them on the news the other day. They're extremely stable, charge quickly (VERY high charge rate) and won't go all explody if you punch a nail through them.

From what I heard they're some sort of lithium/titanium thing. If I find out more, I'll post it.

EDIT: Sorry, it's Toshiba and the cathode is a lithium-titanate. Reduced capacity, but super fast charging. The following text was "borrowed" from businessgreen.com.

"Toshiba has improved it's Super Charge Ion Battery technology to the point where a 90 second recharge is possible. With enough amperage it would actually be faster to recharge than to fill up with gas.

What we call "Lithium Ion" batteries these days are actually using a lithium-cobalt cathode acting against a graphite anode in most circumstances. They work great for high density energy needs but suffer from somewhat sluggish charge times, reduced power capacity over successive charges and the nasty habit of blowing up when things go bad. Toshiba's SCiB batteries use a lithium titanate-based cathode which unfortunately reduces energy density, but achieves significantly faster charge times and suffers much less capacity degradation over time. It's also completely inert compared to lithium cobalt batteries — you can drive a nail through a cell and it doesn't care. The initial versions charged in about five minutes but Toshiba has announced improvements which slashes charge time down to 90 seconds per cell.

Cell charging times are multiplied over the entire battery pack, so the total charging time is dependant on how many cells are involved. However, the capability to charge in such short times still exists, so achieving a super short charge time is possible with a big enough power supply. We're talking organ liquefying amperage, but the danger could certainly be mitigated as it is with today's charging systems. Toshiba is talking about aiming the technology at EV bikes, motorcycles and hybrids.

Charge time is our primary barrier to being head over heels about electric cars. If we can get recharging to look more like refueling we'd be all over some zero-emissions, instant-torque, high-RPM action."





Jim

Last edited by monkeyracing; 04-21-2009 at 08:46 PM.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 09:08 PM
  #8919  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
edwintklee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wonderfull place called, MALAYSIA.
Posts: 1,592
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I only heard a quick blurb about them on the news the other day. They're extremely stable, charge quickly (VERY high charge rate) and won't go all explody if you punch a nail through them.

From what I heard they're some sort of lithium/titanium thing. If I find out more, I'll post it.

EDIT: Sorry, it's Toshiba and the cathode is a lithium-titanate. Reduced capacity, but super fast charging. The following text was "borrowed" from businessgreen.com.

"Toshiba has improved it's Super Charge Ion Battery technology to the point where a 90 second recharge is possible. With enough amperage it would actually be faster to recharge than to fill up with gas.

What we call "Lithium Ion" batteries these days are actually using a lithium-cobalt cathode acting against a graphite anode in most circumstances. They work great for high density energy needs but suffer from somewhat sluggish charge times, reduced power capacity over successive charges and the nasty habit of blowing up when things go bad. Toshiba's SCiB batteries use a lithium titanate-based cathode which unfortunately reduces energy density, but achieves significantly faster charge times and suffers much less capacity degradation over time. It's also completely inert compared to lithium cobalt batteries you can drive a nail through a cell and it doesn't care. The initial versions charged in about five minutes but Toshiba has announced improvements which slashes charge time down to 90 seconds per cell.

Cell charging times are multiplied over the entire battery pack, so the total charging time is dependant on how many cells are involved. However, the capability to charge in such short times still exists, so achieving a super short charge time is possible with a big enough power supply. We're talking organ liquefying amperage, but the danger could certainly be mitigated as it is with today's charging systems. Toshiba is talking about aiming the technology at EV bikes, motorcycles and hybrids.

Charge time is our primary barrier to being head over heels about electric cars. If we can get recharging to look more like refueling we'd be all over some zero-emissions, instant-torque, high-RPM action."





Jim
sweet music to my ears.... thanks for the info...
edwintklee is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 PM
  #8920  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
sim600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,630
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Isn't that Tamiya battery just a rebadged one of the A123 one that couldn't fit in anything other than a Stampede? It looks like a good fit in the M03 though.
sim600 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 AM
  #8921  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (13)
 
robus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo,NY
Posts: 53
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default diff

Hey guys,

Great thread, I read most of it when I first got M03 Cooper few months ago.
Our racing season indoors is over. I get to race it now only sporadically.
I tried ideas I found in this thread about limiting diffs unloading. I come up with one which worked for me for over a month thats at least 5 race days.
Instead off using shims on outside of large bevel gears I sandwiched tiny o-ring in between shims. Shims are only 0.2 mm thick and o-ring is 0.4 mm. Total of 4 shims and 2 o-rings plus silicone grease. Diff works smooth, but it has a little drag to it. When you spin one wheel by hand, you will spin motor.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-cooper.jpg  
robus is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 AM
  #8922  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

So...you're putting the o-ring between the shim and the diff case, or between the shim and the bevel gear? What is the diameter of the shim you are using?

I'd love to know this stuff as I'm constantly messing around with gear diffs trying to get smooth action with a little lock up.

Thanks!

Jim
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 AM
  #8923  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (13)
 
robus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo,NY
Posts: 53
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Jim,
I don't remember the diameter, but is close to the original thicker shims.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-diff.jpg  
robus is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:15 AM
  #8924  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
mangoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,981
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by robus
Jim,
I don't remember the diameter, but is close to the original thicker shims.

Rob
Nice that looks like a good idea
mangoman is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
  #8925  
ruf
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
ruf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 548
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sim600
Isn't that Tamiya battery just a rebadged one of the A123 one that couldn't fit in anything other than a Stampede? It looks like a good fit in the M03 though.
I doubt anything that would only fit in the Stampeded would fit in the M03. The M03 is supertight in the battery compartment. Keep in mind that A123 is a pretty huge battery manufacturer, so I'm thinking the battery you are talking about is different altogether. Maybe a 3s lipo? Also the lithium iron phosphate chemistry was just recently announced, so I'd be surprised if it was around earlier. Honestly, I'm incredibly surprised that this is out so soon in the R/C market! MIT and A123 just went public on this technology only 1 month ago!
ruf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.