Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If anyone is looking for the Toyota Celica 1600 kits there may be a few left on my brother-in-laws website....Toygarage.com
Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the 510 looks perfect
Old 03-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this question goes out for tony and anyone who thinks they know what I'm talking about.

i think I've had the MOST RARE tamiya m02 RWD..

it had the stock front casing and the middle tub tyle chassis. with a full aluminum rare end. it was belt drive. ball diff. i got it with 64P gears. tall gears at that... it kinda "looked" like the rear end from a belt drivin HPI but with two blue side plates and a counter shaft with a spur driving that to a small pulley with a small belt going to the rear diff. i traded a tl01 for it in 2001 i believe. that's how i got it.

when i was looking thru a rc cvar action mag in 2002 i seen the same exact car! and the brand was TOBEE Craft or something like that.

if ANYONE knows what I'm talking about plz say it here or PM me. i would like to see pics of this thing. and hopefuly make a custom one later down the road.

NOTE: it was so fast i had to put AAA battery(s) in the font casing just to keep the front of the car on the ground. it didn't have a fast take off because the belt was old and slipping. but when it got going the front end will lift and not being to sleer well had to slow down. it was a SMOOTH drive train. the body was a blue porsche and its my dream rc car.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There were a number of conversions for the M01/02, the one you had was almost certainly the Tech Racing Belt Drive conversion which was available as a Full-on 4WD or just a 2WD.

The article you refer to in RCCA is reproduced on rc-mini HERE

I have some decent pics of the conversion somewhere, just gotta find em....
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
that wasn't the article i seen on rcca... it was a advertisment for tobee, i think you maybe have seen it. it had a japanesse guy holding a rc car with every onroad tamiya in the background. and that m02 was displayed also...

I'm on a cell phone and those pics on that article are very small...

can you plz dig up some pics when you get a chance?

I've been doing research and can't find anything. i only find a 4WD m02 that doesn't have the same rear end as what I've had.

also I've been wanting to ask how does a locked-diff/spool work in the m03? trash?
Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

They're on one of my backup discs somewhere...so they won't be found in a hurry.

The conversion kits are very very rare. The last I saw for sale was about 2 years ago and my ebay bid of over $300USD wasn't enough to buy it...
Old 03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
There were a number of conversions for the M01/02, the one you had was almost certainly the Tech Racing Belt Drive conversion which was available as a Full-on 4WD or just a 2WD.

The article you refer to in RCCA is reproduced on rc-mini

Nice article! I have the Monte Carlo Mini but would like to have the Fiat Abarth body for my M-01. Didn't really care for it much back in the day but they are quite expensive nowadays if even available new.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Kail
I have diff shock length for diff tracks. No 1 size fits all shock length. at TITC, I was using 57 front, 58 rear. Anyway, I highly discourage the use of TRF touring shock body with mini shaft cos essentially it is different as you will limit the travel of the shock when compressing. If it works for you, I guess it is ok but I really advise against it.

Sorry for bad illustration
firstly, i make have given you the wrong impression, i am using TRF chamber with Mini Shaft.......but i get your theory of how shock works....

just wondering, are you using TRF touring shock + sharf for your mini M chasis? if using mini TRF shock i don think can extend to 58mm that shock setting its for mini wheels? or 26mm touring wheels...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edwintklee
firstly, i make have given you the wrong impression, i am using TRF chamber with Mini Shaft.......but i get your theory of how shock works....

just wondering, are you using TRF touring shock + sharf for your mini M chasis? if using mini TRF shock i don think can extend to 58mm that shock setting its for mini wheels? or 26mm touring wheels...
I am not using trf touring shock body. Just don't tighten the short connectors all the way to achieve 58mm.

I do not use touring wheels on mini. I do not believe that thats a true mini.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Kail
I am not using trf touring shock body. Just don't tighten the short connectors all the way to achieve 58mm.

I do not use touring wheels on mini. I do not believe that thats a true mini.
hmm....so you are using trf shocks for mini.....i too believe small tire for small car...but due to our long track...really need more high end speed.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does Tamiya make CVD's for the MO3? My outdrive and axle cups are beat up bad (chatters on-throttle in a turn), but I want to keep it legal (TCS, Tamiya-only parts).

Had to grind on the axle outdrive and clamp it tight a little, they spread out pretty bad and were scratching the knuckles.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
Does Tamiya make CVD's for the MO3? My outdrive and axle cups are beat up bad (chatters on-throttle in a turn), but I want to keep it legal (TCS, Tamiya-only parts).

Had to grind on the axle outdrive and clamp it tight a little, they spread out pretty bad and were scratching the knuckles.
Yes, Part no# 53597, and they are a must!!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks a bunch! I'm starting to think so, my Mini's a rocket on the straight but it scrubs off WAY too much speed in the turns because of the slop and worn parts in the drivetrain. I'm hoping those will smooth out the drivetrain and allow it to be more responsive with the throttle.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

and while you're at it, get the hardened outdrives (they made them for both the gear and ball diffs, but they are different parts). They last much longer...
Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Out of curiosity, which does everyone prefer, the universals or the cvds??? Also I'd like to know the reason for your preference. No intention here to start a debate, but I've tried both and prefer one over the other.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.