Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It doesn't appear to say so on the story according to my limited Chinese although I'm welcome to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable on the subject.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Core Creations
If anyone is looking for some wicked fast silver cans...I have about 6 or so for sale...drop me a PM
sorry to say this, Core Creations, but the "wicked fast" silver cans I bught from you, seem no faster then the ones I have roken in myself,... just by letting them run at low voltage for an hour or two.
I have no rpm-measuring-device but my M03 didn't run any faster (on the long straight) as other drivers. We all ran the same chassis, same motor (silver cans) same pinion), and neither did it when i plugged in a brand new motor.
Did I do or understood something wrong? I was expecting to see a difference.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's very odd. Charlie's motors are pretty robust- I've seen what they can do.

Last time I had someone tell me that a fast motor was no faster than what they had been using previously, they later discovered that they had battery issues (bad cell? bad chrager? I forget...), which meant that NO motor was going to be faster than any other when run in their car. So you might want to check that. Also take a look at the settings on your ESC to ensure that you are getting full throttle.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccardr
That's very odd. Charlie's motors are pretty robust- I've seen what they can do.

Last time I had someone tell me that a fast motor was no faster than what they had been using previously, they later discovered that they had battery issues (bad cell? bad chrager? I forget...), which meant that NO motor was going to be faster than any other when run in their car. So you might want to check that. Also take a look at the settings on your ESC to ensure that you are getting full throttle.
good tips.
However I defenitly do not have battery-problems. But my ESC is indeed a rather dull one... butit is good enough to drive in the front. I won the Mini-class with my M03 Swift this weekend on the local Tamiya Challenge, and we all drive a Tamiya 23T ... so I should guess the ESC must be ok if it can cope with that 23T without any problems.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Aha. Well, maybe the right question is "is your entire electrical system passing enough amperage and voltage to take advantage of a faster motor?" Because an ESC can pass enough of both to operate a higher draw motor but still not give you all of the performance you've paid for.

You're a bright guy and it's obvious you give this stuff some thought, so...if you think of electricity like water, then the bigger the pipe the more amperage (water volume) you can pass through it. Faster motors require more amperage- without it they just won't perform any better than a low amp draw motor. If I turn my amp limiter down to 20 amps or less, the robust motors just don't pop any better than ones right out of the box. Same thing holds true on a dyno- if you use a lower amperage power supply, the numbers just aren't there. Something to think about, anyway.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccardr
... Faster motors require more amperage- without it they just won't perform any better than a low amp draw motor. ...
mmm, but I would think that a 23T Tamiya-motor would draw much more amps then a pimped Mabushi, no?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony gray
It doesn't appear to say so on the story according to my limited Chinese although I'm welcome to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable on the subject.
According to the chinese text... The belt is sourced by himself. Didn't say where he got it from though.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
@Dan Haha you @#$%^&*

@Tony Gray Any ideas on the front belt for the short TA04?
you got a PM
Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Sorry to hear they aren't as fast as you were hoping. I believe all the motors I sold were 4 slotters which 9 times out of 10 have more rpm out of the box than the newer 2 slotters. I also believe they all fell in the 21-22k rpm at 7.2...which is a pretty good motor. Maybe not super high strung. But those are the #s on the motors I use now weekly and you can ask anyone I race with if my motors lack speed. Maybe some of docs suggestions will help. The faster motors do seem to benefit from a good speedo (which can be had very cheap nowadays). Let me know if you have any more ?s.
Originally Posted by Low_E
sorry to say this, Core Creations, but the "wicked fast" silver cans I bught from you, seem no faster then the ones I have roken in myself,... just by letting them run at low voltage for an hour or two.
I have no rpm-measuring-device but my M03 didn't run any faster (on the long straight) as other drivers. We all ran the same chassis, same motor (silver cans) same pinion), and neither did it when i plugged in a brand new motor.
Did I do or understood something wrong? I was expecting to see a difference.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know if the Tamiya (#53619) CVA Mini Shock Units (for TT01 cars) fit the M03 chassis OK?
I take it i would need to put spacers/limiters inside the shock bodies to get the desired ride height......also do they come as a complete kiy ie with shock shafts etc? I know springs are not included with the kit

I know I really need Tamiya CVA Super Mini Shock Unit Set 50746 but getting them here in the UK is difficult

Does anyone know how long each of the above shocks are (from the bottom of the shock body to the top of the shock cap)? just so I know how much difference there is between them

Cheers

Lee
Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Tech Regular

make those Shocks to a total length of 57mm, that should be a nice starting point.
I had some TRF shocks and had to add a 7mm-spacer. Don't know how long these TT01-shocks are, but I guess these must be the same length as the TRF-shocks
Old 01-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Low_E
make those Shocks to a total length of 57mm, that should be a nice starting point.
I had some TRF shocks and had to add a 7mm-spacer. Don't know how long these TT01-shocks are, but I guess these must be the same length as the TRF-shocks
Thanks Low_E

So I take it some Tamiya TRF Special Damper (Hard Coating) #84008 would also fit the M03? just spotted of them, and they don't seem to cost much more than the normal plastic super mini shocks
Does the 7mm spacers not alter how the shock works? I suppose I could always buy some shorter shock shafts if I need to lower them further (instead of the spacers)
Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

'New' shells from Italy from Mon-Tech Racing. Although I'd have to suggest that there's nothing actually NEW about any of them. They appear to be knock-offs of existing shells in pretty much every case...

Old 01-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4_cell_racer
Thanks Low_E

So I take it some Tamiya TRF Special Damper (Hard Coating) #84008 would also fit the M03? just spotted of them, and they don't seem to cost much more than the normal plastic super mini shocks
Does the 7mm spacers not alter how the shock works? I suppose I could always buy some shorter shock shafts if I need to lower them further (instead of the spacers)
Alternatively...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54000

I have a set and they are nice!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
'New' shells from Italy from Mon-Tech Racing. Although I'd have to suggest that there's nothing actually NEW about any of them. They appear to be knock-offs of existing shells in pretty much every case...

cool bodys.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.