Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing

Alrighty then...I've seen an occasional, vague reference to the practice of shimming the gears in an M chassis transmission. I'm not talking about the diff here, just the main drive gears. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there any possible benefit from shimming straight cut gears with preset mesh? Are people really this obsessive? How would this sort of thing be done?

And....GO!

Jim
It's the sort of thing that people with no life do....

And from what I've seen (I've seen 2 or 3 done) it's a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME... All you can effectively alter is side to side play and my experience of such transmissions is that they are actually LESS free than a standard one!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Unless your gears or chassis are totally bagged and flopping around it just wouldn't be worth it. Even then, it would be more effective to pop for a new chassis ($7 US) or gears ($4 US.)

Just thought I'd check, though.

Maybe I'll give it a shot with some of my spares when I'm REALLY bored.

Jim
Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

About the only concern about the gearbox would be if the gears are able to rub against the case. Then, shimming it out with very small spacers would be a good idea, otherwise bolt the thing together and forget about it until its starts making bad noises! And if you can tell the difference between a gearbox with a gearset that rubs the case and one that doesnt, your a better man than me! My minis have always been fast and i never ever worry about this kind of thing. I bolt them together, give it a spin, and unless they are totally bound up, they hit the track that way.

Ive almost finished cutting every second tooth from my gear set, after reading it on rcmini.net....... anyone got any mentos? i have a silver can i want 3000 more RPM out of! Great page Tony lol.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Actually I beg to differ I met a gentlaman in Nor CAL and he took alot of extra time shimming the outside of the diferrentials and broke his differential in with toothpaste for about 3 hours he then took out his junk motor disasembled his car and cleaned out the toothpaste put it back togehter and man without a motor in the car it spun like the rear tires. It was truly amazing and to that date and now I have never seen anything like it. Just my two nickels since i saw it first hand. Also he said he ran tamiya bearings and said those are the best free spinning bearings he has seen.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by axle182
Ive almost finished cutting every second tooth from my gear set, after reading it on rcmini.net....... anyone got any mentos? i have a silver can i want 3000 more RPM out of! Great page Tony lol.
Shhh, you want everyone to know our secrets!!!

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Actually I beg to differ I met a gentlaman in Nor CAL and he took alot of extra time shimming the outside of the diferrentials and broke his differential in with toothpaste for about 3 hours he then took out his junk motor disasembled his car and cleaned out the toothpaste put it back togehter and man without a motor in the car it spun like the rear tires. It was truly amazing and to that date and now I have never seen anything like it. Just my two nickels since i saw it first hand. Also he said he ran tamiya bearings and said those are the best free spinning bearings he has seen.
And I can get one out of the box that does the same thing too.. the production tolerances are such that some are awesome, some aren't. In the end it makes very little difference anyway because to a large extent minis are governed mainly by one thing - fixed gearing. So the top end is mainly a motor function. And acceleration? We lose most of it in wheelspin....so a super efficient transmission is nice to show your mates, but doesn't necesssarily put trophies on the shelves! But it does give people with too much time on their hands at night (on bad TV nights?) something to do!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray

And I can get one out of the box that does the same thing too.. the production tolerances are such that some are awesome, some aren't. In the end it makes very little difference anyway because to a large extent minis are governed mainly by one thing - fixed gearing. So the top end is mainly a motor function. And acceleration? We lose most of it in wheelspin....so a super efficient transmission is nice to show your mates, but doesn't necesssarily put trophies on the shelves! But it does give people with too much time on their hands at night (on bad TV nights?) something to do!
Well said, plus its fun being on the pipe and then watching your car leap like its got a second gear. Tony I have a question for you - I have built, broke down, tore apart, and rebuilt my mini more times then I care to remeber but anyways its well over 60 times and I finally noticed after the last time that when i turn my wheels that I don't have the same turning radius (i kinda knew it before but did nothing about it) so after closer inspection, repeated measurements, adjustments to the ball cups, the hieght of the ball cup, location on the servo, and servo starting position. I have come close to what I want but its not perfect do you or anyone else have any input on this thanks for the help. Also does anyone have any input on putting a mini on a four corner scale set? I did it and was wondering if anyone could elaborate or chime in on there position of an uneven weighing car like the mini cooper and how it impacts the car at a very competitive race level. i.e. enter and exit of turns from both left to right as well as breaking into a turn.

Thanks a ton
Brandon
Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do you mean that your wheels don't turn the same angle left as they do right, or do you mean that the inside wheel seems to be turned in more than the outside wheel no matter which way you turn?

If it's the first case, then it's probably just interference between your steering mechanism and the chassis.

If it's the second case, that's normal. All cars from minis to full size have exactly the same quality. If it were otherwise, your car wouldn't turn worth a damn.

Oh yeah, one other thing....I got a box of goodies from RC Mart in the mail today. In that box I had the 3Racing fancy schmancy heat sink thing. (hey, I had a little credit, nothing better to spend it on, and I was curious about this thing, okay?) I installed it per instructions, and go figure, it pushes the motor out further, requiring one to have their pinion hanging right on the very end of the motor shaft. Not cool.

Did I do something wrong here, or is this just a bad design?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Well said, plus its fun being on the pipe and then watching your car leap like its got a second gear. Tony I have a question for you - I have built, broke down, tore apart, and rebuilt my mini more times then I care to remeber but anyways its well over 60 times and I finally noticed after the last time that when i turn my wheels that I don't have the same turning radius (i kinda knew it before but did nothing about it) so after closer inspection, repeated measurements, adjustments to the ball cups, the hieght of the ball cup, location on the servo, and servo starting position. I have come close to what I want but its not perfect do you or anyone else have any input on this thanks for the help. Also does anyone have any input on putting a mini on a four corner scale set? I did it and was wondering if anyone could elaborate or chime in on there position of an uneven weighing car like the mini cooper and how it impacts the car at a very competitive race level. i.e. enter and exit of turns from both left to right as well as breaking into a turn.

Thanks a ton
Brandon
Check your servo and your Tx adjustments. Scales--- Talk to Chuck at the Tamiya track. He uses them routinely. Check your PMs
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Also does anyone have any input on putting a mini on a four corner scale set? I did it and was wondering if anyone could elaborate or chime in on there position of an uneven weighing car like the mini cooper and how it impacts the car at a very competitive race level. i.e. enter and exit of turns from both left to right as well as breaking into a turn.

Thanks a ton
Brandon
Brandon, check out this pic from our 'Adding weight for Lipos' story. Its my current race car being corner weighted.
Basically there's only a few grams in it either side. And I defy anyone to be able to pick the difference in that.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-image023.jpg  
Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

every 2nd tooth out was what gear? The diff gear or all the gears?

And is toothpasting the diff balls in the diff actually break them in better?? Or are you putting toothpaste on all of the gears and running the car to break in the gears?

Old 12-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default mini

check your out drives on transmission ,if they are notched from drive shafts they will stop the car from transferring weight and turning ,causing car to flip in corners
Old 12-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Who are these people?....

And just WHAT are they doing?

Click HERE to find out.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Our latest Mini trick - Anti-Gravity!

Tims new Hovermini!

(pic taken by the lightning shutter finger of Wade Griffin)

Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Our latest Mini trick - Anti-Gravity!

Tims new Hovermini!

(pic taken by the lightning shutter finger of Wade Griffin)

Sweeeeet.....that's a great picture!!!! Show's just how versatile the Mini can be.....upside down hovercraft even!!! I like the purple gyro-scopic thruster!!!

Can't wait until our website has the pics/vids link working....we already have a fine collection of Mini's doing aerial acrobatics....wonder if we can get sponsorship from red bull????

Roy
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Outstanding picture, but the Russian judge only gave it 9.9.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.