Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We recently had some guys turn up at our track that were running 540 brushless setups in there Mini's and then was told that the track owner will allow 540 brushless motors to be run in the next season. It is a $200 upgrade that most of the Mini guys at our track can’t justify spending on a Mini.
What are your thoughts on running 540 brushless motors in the Mini class?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We tried one of those setups on the weekend. And initial impressions are that there's no 'advantage' to running one. i.e. they aren't necessarily any quicker.

Its just a way of running with minimal motor maintenance required.

Provided that there isnt any obvious advantage in performance terms then I can't see any great issue in it?

We'll be doing some more testing over the next few weeks with both the JR and the Pro versions.

p.s. we're talking Speed passion Exige set-ups for those who don't know.

Last edited by tony gray; 08-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I felt that they accelerated quicker and the top end speed was a little higher than any other brushed motor that was running.
My feelings are that Mini's are an entry level class that should be kept as cheep as possible.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Which is exactly why we're testing them, to try and establish benchmarks for performance of the brushed versus brushless.

Certainly if there's an advantage, then its an open and shut case - No you can't run them. So far, I'm not sure that there is an advantage. The lap times didn't show any significant difference at all. In fact they were SLOWER than our best with Sport-tuneds.

As for the cost factor, that's not as cut and dried as it might seem. Most people will spend at least $100 (Aus) on an ESC anyway so that's neither here nor there. And I know from my own experience that I would buy at least 6 Sport tuneds each year to compete at a fairly high level.
Which would actually make brushless cheaper for me!

It's good to look at new things once in a while. But the trick is to make an educated decision based on sound data.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

we've found the brushless 540 to be much faster, not me personally but I know someone thats been testing it up here

That's in touring car though
Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A Black can motor is as maintenance free as you want anyway
Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Dec, have you ever thought that's why you're so slow.... Hee hee.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
What sort of price was the ABC 510 kit? How 'bout shipping to the US?

Champ's site links to ABC's site. They show both the red/white and the blue/white team cars. Are there two kits or does the kit come with decals to do either car?

A LARGE part of my mis-spent youth was playing with 510's. My dad raced one in the early '70's, I had a couple in the late '70's-early '80's until I discovered motorcycles...
I paid $170usd shipped including pp fees from rcchamp to Canada so it should be about the same to USA.
I ordered the red so it comes with the decals shown in the photos. I'm not sure about the blue one, but one would think it comes with the decals too!
Check with Masa over at RChamp. He'll be able to answer that Q.
As for a North American Distributor of ABC for this item, I heard that it was DCM HOBBIES CREATIONS INC. out of Torrance, Calif. Apparently, they have them already to ship so check with them - Yusuke Makino.

As for the driver cockpits, I've got 3 versions 95%complete: driver & co-driver, right-hand single and left-hand single. I've got a few other surprises of other ones coming out very soon too! Hopefully, I got the webbing issues cleared up - The final plugs should be ready for testing in about 2 weeks - I've had to work slowly around my shifts and overtime at work.
btw, also got the driver heads -front and backs complete using polystyrene.

It'll be nice to have some rccars with proper scale drivers in them.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Talking BRUSHLESS MINI

G'day Zipper,

In response to your post, the Exige systems did not post faster laptimes on friday night, to those using the black can. The "legal" black cans had distanced themselves from the two brushless systems. Perhaps part of this is from setup and local knowledge of the track. I know I was running one of the BL systems.

The use of this system in Mini is being trialled to see if they are competitive with the standard black motor. The idea was not to use other brushless speed controllers but stick with the Exige system with the JR RS-540BL1 motor. This would prevent programming of the ESC.

The results, (laptimes), clearly indicate that the brushless system is slower than the black can. This is highlighted in the laptimes on the website.

The new Mini rules for the next pointscore will be released soon and will include the brushless system and only Tamiya Mini shells to be used.

At this stage I will still run the system, if the rules change I still have a black can and speedie to revert back to brushed. My speedie alone is worth more than the BL system.

Ashley,

Mini is still restricted to 20 tooth pinion for either BL or brushed.

Cya at the track Fri Glenn.

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 01-07-2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I have a carpet question. Anyone found a cure for the rear wheel chatter?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Calvin
I know the brushless lap times were not as quick as the brushed but I did notice that the brushless (that was following me in the final) was catching me quite easily at the end of the back straight, and the initial acceleration was quicker, the power of the brushless seems to be more instant although it could be diff setup.
If we have to run a Tamiya body then there is another bigger expense over non Tamiya (Mini) bodies, a Tamiya Mini body will cost $60-$70 compared to a non Tamiya Mini body which cost $25-$35, and the Tamiya body doesn’t last as long. The bodies that we run are cheaper again at only $20 and were run in the US nationals (I beleve).
I don’t know what bought on all the rule changes all of a sudden, when we haven’t had anyone have a problem with the rules the way they were in the past, and Steve hasn’t asked the regulars for there views on the changes. I’m not against changes but there has to be some discussion before they are implemented (like they do with the other classes).
Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

not sure whether this is the right forum but would like some help on M chassis kit selection...

does anyone know whether the new M03L Mini Cooper S (2006) comes with 1050 bearings, uprights and rear toe-in just like M03M Swift kit?

thanks
Old 01-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

The word is...yes. Same specs as Swift kit.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
The word is...yes. Same specs as Swift kit.
Thanks Tony.

Btw, great site u have there on the mchassis. Very infomative and useful for beginners like myself.

Can I swapped bodyshell between a M03L and M03M after I shorten the L chassis according to your method mentioned in your site?

Reason is i want to keep the Mini body while get a Swift for bashing.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cartix
Congrats man. How many entries in the M03 class?
30 +

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.