Like Tree235Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Reply

Old 12-30-2007, 03:30 AM
  #5716  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,417
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Thumbs up TIE RODS

Another method for increasing the length of the tie rod ball ends is to replace them with a 10mm droop screw, loctite into metal knuckle and place a 2mm spacer and then thread on a 5mm Ball connector.

This will alter the bump stop at the knuckle end.

Later

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:01 AM
  #5717  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
Takt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 896
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys ... I'm going to the US Touring Car race in Milwaukee and will be running my mini. I'm having a terrible wheel hop problem ... it happens during high speed turns. I have no idea how to fix this. I don't think the body is dragging or anything. Can someone please give me some ideas of things to try? THanks
Takt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 AM
  #5718  
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Originally Posted by Takt View Post
Hey guys ... I'm going to the US Touring Car race in Milwaukee and will be running my mini. I'm having a terrible wheel hop problem ... it happens during high speed turns. I have no idea how to fix this. I don't think the body is dragging or anything. Can someone please give me some ideas of things to try? THanks
Wheel Hop problems ? You means the dogbones chatter badly during full turns ?

If that so, buy Tamiya Universal dog bones.
asw7576 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:48 AM
  #5719  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
Takt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 896
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Wheel Hop problems ? You means the dogbones chatter badly during full turns ?

If that so, buy Tamiya Universal dog bones.
I mean the entire car "chatters" going around turns when at higher speed. It looks like the rear end is "hopping" around the corner. I changed tires, I changed ride height, I disconnected the rear sway bar, I mounted the body higher, I changed the front diff ... I have no idea what is going on or how to fix it.
Takt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 PM
  #5720  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 313
Default

Anyone have a good oval setup for the M03? Going to try to run some carpet oval this weekend with mine.
tarheelquality is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
  #5721  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
tony gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Takt View Post
Hey guys ... I'm going to the US Touring Car race in Milwaukee and will be running my mini. I'm having a terrible wheel hop problem ... it happens during high speed turns. I have no idea how to fix this. I don't think the body is dragging or anything. Can someone please give me some ideas of things to try? THanks
Usually a change of springs does the trick....try going harder in the rear.
tony gray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 PM
  #5722  
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Originally Posted by Takt View Post
I mean the entire car "chatters" going around turns when at higher speed. It looks like the rear end is "hopping" around the corner. I changed tires, I changed ride height, I disconnected the rear sway bar, I mounted the body higher, I changed the front diff ... I have no idea what is going on or how to fix it.
Are u using Mini Cooper old ( classic ) body style ?
asw7576 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
  #5723  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
Takt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 896
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
Usually a change of springs does the trick....try going harder in the rear.
I am currently running white in the front (with 100w oil) and blue in back (with 50w (I think)). So, I should go harder in rear. Will do.

Originally Posted by asw7576
Are u using Mini Cooper old ( classic ) body style ?.

I'm running the Swift Chassis with Swift Body. I do have the receiver and speed control mounted on top of battery instead of inside the rear as previously posted. Does that mean I may not have enough weight in the back to keep it planted? (Someone at the track mentioned that). Thanks
Takt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:47 PM
  #5724  
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

I think you should check these areas :

1. Your rear tires might hit the body fender, thus the rear tires occasionally stop ( you feel chattering effect ) when rubber meet the body.

2. Rear tires ocasionally skid sideways ?? ..... Do you mean occasional sideway skidding on sharp cornering ??

Are you racing on asphalt or carpet ? Foam or Rubber ?
asw7576 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:54 PM
  #5725  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
tony gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Don't stress too much about it anyway. It isn't necessarily slowing you down. I remember Tims car at our 2006 State Titles down here was chattering like a mad thing all weekend.
And he still won by a mile...

BTW, it might sound mad...but try leaving your blues on the rear and going softer on the front..like yellow. You could be surprised.
tony gray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:57 PM
  #5726  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
Takt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 896
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
I think you should check these areas :

1. Your rear tires might hit the body fender, thus the rear tires occasionally stop ( you feel chattering effect ) when rubber meet the body.

2. Rear tires ocasionally skid sideways ?? ..... Do you mean occasional sideway skidding on sharp cornering ??

Are you racing on asphalt or carpet ? Foam or Rubber ?
Thanks for the reply.

1. Rear tires not hitting ... no black marks in body (there are some in front wheel wells, but I think I've fixed that by raising body slightly.)

2. The track yesterday had a long straightaway, with a high speed sweeper into a 180 degree turn. Car chattered around the 180. I think the rear tires were wheel hopping. Chattered around a couple turns in infield as well.

Carpet racing (pretty green, not a lot of traction down for carpet). Rubber tires (S-grip and M-Grip).

Thanks
Takt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:09 PM
  #5727  
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Sorry, I think I'm not qualified to answer yours now...... I'm racing Mini Cooper on Asphalt with foams. Once I had rear chattering problem because I was using mini cooper classic body, and rear foam tires hit the body fender. I have to widen the rear body fender and the chattering is gone now.

Perhaps you need grippier rear tires like Slick 60D to lessen sideway skidding ( just trying to help ).
asw7576 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:21 PM
  #5728  
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

Ive just bought a 2nd hand MO3 chassis that is setup with short wheelbase FWD.
Ive fitted Tamiya ally shocks with 40wt oil and blue springs up front and white on the rear.
Ive also fitted a old FF01 ball diff and Tamiya universals.
Id like to know what is popular/base setup for asphalt/rubber tyres ???
I am using a old Tamiya Fiat 500 Abarth body.
Just started reading through this thread and thought id post.
razzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:36 PM
  #5729  
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Ive just bought a 2nd hand MO3 chassis that is setup with short wheelbase FWD.
Ive fitted Tamiya ally shocks with 40wt oil and blue springs up front and white on the rear.
Ive also fitted a old FF01 ball diff and Tamiya universals.
Id like to know what is popular/base setup for asphalt/rubber tyres ???
I am using a old Tamiya Fiat 500 Abarth body.
Just started reading through this thread and thought id post.
This is what my friends and I use : We race in asphalt with rubber or foam

Tamiya 60D tires with Tamiya 60D Hard foam inserts
Front : 2 holes white piston, Blue Springs or White Springs, 40W oil, 4.5mm ride height, 2 degree Toe Out.
Rear : 3 holes white piston, Yellow Springs, 40W oil, 6.5mm ride height, using optional Toe In rear uprights.
asw7576 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:50 PM
  #5730  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Secret Underground Laboratory
Posts: 2,353
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Takt- it's a rear droop problem. Don't change anything but droop- same springs, same oil, same piston. Wheel hop is generally caused by too little droop, but it's really a droop balance thing.
rccardr is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service