R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya mini cooper (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/20068-tamiya-mini-cooper.html)

fatdoggy 08-06-2003 01:22 PM

Threading the shocks down would be screwing the shock shafts as far into the ball cups as possible so that the car is lowered.

minicooper 08-06-2003 11:38 PM

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Threading the shocks down would be screwing the shock shafts as far into the ball cups as possible so that the car is lowered.
Yup, Thanks fatdoggy

On another subject, what different kinds of diff grease are you guys using for the TA03 ball diff in the min??
Grease supplied in kit
AE grease
??

WC 08-07-2003 01:37 AM

Originally posted by minicooper
...what different kinds of diff grease are you guys using for the TA03 ball diff in the min??
Grease supplied in kit
AE grease??

For all ball diffs, I swear by Tamiya's Ball Diff Grease.

Usual error is to put too *much* on.
Use very little only.

Best way is to put a small blob into a tiny plastic bag, chuck
the diff balls in and squish them around. Fish them back out
and install into the gear. The grease that is on the balls will
be more than enough always.

That big tube of BD grease should last you decades... :)

WC 08-07-2003 01:52 AM

Originally posted by dirk
Thanks! I'm using the stock friction shocks. I thought these cars where non adjustable, I was wrong. WOW! the handling is so much sharper! Almost like the 1/12 scale pancars. I also put in some stiffer springs. This little Mini is the most fun rc car I've ever driven!
Personally speaking, the mini is such a light car, I'd not try stiffer springs - you'll just promote rollovers & reduce grip.

Just stick with the standard silver springs, or use the yellow ones.

sosidge 08-07-2003 05:08 AM

Personally I wouldn't use spacers on the inside on the shocks to force the ride height down. This will leave the car with no droop (suspension downtravel), which will make it very nervous over bumps, and decrease grip. If you want to lower ride height with the standard shocks, consider trimming one coil, or slightly more) off each spring. This will also stiffen the spring rate.

IMPACTPLAYR 08-07-2003 07:48 AM

Yes, if you use limiters inside the shock you must use shorter springs... some company makes springs that you use like 3 springs on one shock to make 1 progressive spring, you may wanna try using just 1 or 2 of those springs.....

Here they are---- http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...28103485986.a9

dirk 08-07-2003 07:36 PM

Woah! information overload!:D Thanks a lot for all your input guys.

WC 08-07-2003 08:53 PM

Lack of droop doesn't adversely affect Mini's handling... saves you
adding sway bars, stops traction rolling.

Standard 'chrome' springs that come with the M03 kit works best, same as the silver ones given when you buy the CVA shocks.
None of the coloured ones work any obviously better, so why bother?

If you really want to investigate effects of various options on
the M03, you need TWO vehicles for true back-to-back testing.
Otherwise hey, it ain't very scientific... :sneaky:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wchang68/m03minis.jpg

Rockheadsguy 08-08-2003 12:45 PM

Those Mini Coopers look great... I'm glad to see interest in the Minis here. It's a fun class...

Looking over the posts, my expreriences with the shocks and ride height have been different-- with the short plastic oil-filled shocks, and the colored springs, I almost have to add the spring spacers to get ENOUGH ride height. I've never really needed to lower it any. I did add o-rings inside the shocks, to lessen the droop which was way too much. Everyone else seems to have the opposite problem.

One think I'd like to do is smooth out the drive train-- one guy at one of the TCS races last year had a mini that was whisper quiet... any idea how to do that? Polish the gears?

johntrickle 08-08-2003 10:00 PM

Okay,

So for the M03 Mini to get rid of the Traction rolling. Should I take the internal shock spacers out of the rear shocks to promote less Droop?

newracer 08-08-2003 10:34 PM

Originally posted by utieh
i think they are still making them, rainbow ten is selling them, perhaps i will buy some.
which compound do you recommend?
4423444200027,RIDE,900YEN,TMS54-S M CHASSIS NARROW TIRE S,
4423444200030,RIDE,1000YEN,TMS54-V M CHASSIS NARROW TIRE V,
4423444200031,RIDE,950YEN,TMS54-G M CHASSIS NARROW TIRE G,
don't know what those S/V/G letters mean...

I came across the web page that as the temp ratings

http://www.rc-ride.co.jp/eng/docs/mini.html

utieh 08-08-2003 11:57 PM

Thanks NewRacer,
I will try to order a set next time .

sosidge 08-09-2003 07:46 AM

Originally posted by johntrickle
Okay,

So for the M03 Mini to get rid of the Traction rolling. Should I take the internal shock spacers out of the rear shocks to promote less Droop?

Internal shock spacers decrease droop, so removing them will increase the droop and (probably) make the traction rolling worse. Less droop should help decrease the traction rolling, so maybe try more spacers on the inside.

minicooper 08-09-2003 10:26 AM

Originally posted by johntrickle
Okay,

One more thing to look out for, You might be rolling the mini if you have your EPA set too far or if your steering response is set too high. I set my radio at about 50% give or take a few. Play around with your radio settings until you find something that works for you.

Rockheadsguy 08-09-2003 10:42 AM

Try using heavier shock oil and stiffer springs, along with the sway bars and less droop, to eliminate the traction roll. You can also try different pistons in the shock... on carpet, I've found you never have too little traction with a mini.