Like Tree222Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm really enjoying my M05. It's a great thing to run between races. The 3racing oil filled diff still makes it wander a bit.

My biggest problem, is i'm dragging the body, and battery in corners.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ahh, this thread started in 2003. 14 years of everything to do with FWD Tamiya Minis. No matter what you wanted to know, this was the place to come, all in the one thread, 03, 05 and we hoped, the 07. It was ALWAYS on the 1st page, always super-active.
And now....I had to drag it up from Page 6, all because someone who knew better, started an M07 only thread. So everyone's fractured and there's no unity in it any more.
Yeah, Thanks for doing that Buddy...
Old 12-10-2017, 03:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
Ahh, this thread started in 2003. 14 years of everything to do with FWD Tamiya Minis. No matter what you wanted to know, this was the place to come, all in the one thread, 03, 05 and we hoped, the 07. It was ALWAYS on the 1st page, always super-active.
And now....I had to drag it up from Page 6, all because someone who knew better, started an M07 only thread. So everyone's fractured and there's no unity in it any more.
Well, personally speaking, I don't find 14 year old monster-threads with ~2000 pages and ~30000 posts about several different cars all that appealing, so I actually prefer a new thread for new cars once in a while.
mariob62 likes this.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Egh. I guess my original worries about plastic quality while assembling this thing weren't off the mark... I haven't even driven after the first time - which was maybe 25 minutes of racing, max - but was just now checking out the car for one reason or another... and noticed that the right rear hub is cracked all the way through. Great. Time to order more aluminum, I guess, since no point taking this to the track again until I have a new hub. And of course I still would need the stiffer diff at some point, too, to actually make it properly driveable. Tamiya Mini? I think Tamiya MoneyPit is more like it I'm not sure if I dare inspect the car any further at this point, haha.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Come to think of it, I spotted some diff lockers and solid axle kits for the M-05 while browsing. Can't seem to find much comments on them, though. How well do they work? My touring car seems to work fine with a solid front axle, but it is 4WD with a diff in the rear, so I don't know how different the FWD Mini would act. I've seen people say they put 500k etc fluids in M-05 fluid diffs, to me that seems pretty damn close to locked as it is. Stiffest I even have is 100k, and never actually used anything higher than 30k in any car so far.

Just that the lockers/solid axles are cheaper and then there certainly wouldn't be a risk of a leaking diff.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tvih View Post
Come to think of it, I spotted some diff lockers and solid axle kits for the M-05 while browsing. Can't seem to find much comments on them, though. How well do they work? My touring car seems to work fine with a solid front axle, but it is 4WD with a diff in the rear, so I don't know how different the FWD Mini would act. I've seen people say they put 500k etc fluids in M-05 fluid diffs, to me that seems pretty damn close to locked as it is. Stiffest I even have is 100k, and never actually used anything higher than 30k in any car so far.

Just that the lockers/solid axles are cheaper and then there certainly wouldn't be a risk of a leaking diff.
500k is thick, but a long way off being locked. A solid axle will be tricky to drive and may have troubles driving in a straight line, depending on your track and setup. I like to use something between 100k and 300k.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
That's one point of view, but not the only one. Nor is it necessarily totally correct.
Having all M-Chassis info in one place does have merit, but I gotta agree with some others here that when the thread is as large as it is, looking for data on a specific model can be a bit of a 'needle in a haystack' scenario.

With the M-07 being a significant shift in chassis design, I like the idea of it having it's own thread too.
shawnh likes this.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sorry Iíve been missing, guys. Been in hospital since early November. I guess I got really sick. But hey, my brain came back and most of the sutures holding me together have been removed. Iíll be here until mid January, but Iíll be sure to check in and lecture you regularly.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I hope your on the mend Jim. Missed you on the boards. Though I am more a lurker nowdays. I have not been running mini much, but enjoy my M07 when I can get track time.

Take care.
50 cal

Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Sorry Iíve been missing, guys. Been in hospital since early November. I guess I got really sick. But hey, my brain came back and most of the sutures holding me together have been removed. Iíll be here until mid January, but Iíll be sure to check in and lecture you regularly.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Ouch! Get well, eh? We need your out-of-the-box thinking and comments!!!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Also...thereís a ďlast pageĒ button. Quit whining.

(I had solid food today. Iím feeling saucy.)
miha likes this.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Hi all, does anyone know if there are any aftermarket wishbones/c-hubs than increase the front track width of an m05? Having a bit of trouble with driveshaft length. Only need 1 or 2mm.
Cheers.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
Hi all, does anyone know if there are any aftermarket wishbones/c-hubs than increase the front track width of an m05? Having a bit of trouble with driveshaft length. Only need 1 or 2mm.
Cheers.
You can mix and match the regular M05 F parts with the M05Ra F parts. I can't remember which combo is wider, either the regular C hub with Ra knuckles or vice versa. You shouldn't need to change the wishbones.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

Cheers, gigaplex. I didn't realize the rally c hubs have more track, I'm already running them ��. I found 3racing alloy knuckles had a slightly wider track so put them on last night. Would rather offset with a wider wishbone though. I'm running 3 racing which are exactly the same as stock.

Another question, unfortunately my pic cushions had worn through without realizing and made a mess of my 3racing gear diff out drives. I found lightened steal ones for the saukura and they look the same so tempted to change to them. Anyone know if the interchangeable?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Just finished up A sweet yaris body for my Short wheelbase m05v2. Thought i’d share some pics love the handling and looks so far.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service