Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
This morning at Tamiya, with the new M07, my second lap EVER, was a 16.7. Conditions were ideal for minis, and I was using Pit tires, but this is with a 74 year-old duffer at the helm! Unfortunately, every change I made thru the day from the book settings made things worse, and the temperature was going up quickly, which always raises lap times into the 17's. Except for clipping a mm off each steering cup which allowed some toe-out to keep it going straight down the straightaway, nothing else helped. So, just build it stock, and now everyone is going to have a competitive mini to race...
Don't be fooled... He's one of the Mafia fast guys.
OSherman likes this.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I wish Phat Bodies made a better product. Their bodies have few and faint details.

I've always had passing interesting in the M series. Now that the M-07 is out I think I will pull the trigger. It doesn't seem to make sense to buy any of the other models and that includes that upgraded Pro and Race versions. Do you all agree?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Could just be a bad spur. The 05 spur is compatible so try using one from your other car to verify.
Ok so I've checked a few things and I think the gearbox is much smoother now.

- All the bearings were degreased and had no binding issues

- The plastic washer (part B3) for the spur is about 0.8mm, which seemed a bit too thick and was pressing against the spur assembly. I replaced it with shims totalling 0.6mm to give some side play to the gear

- The spur that came with my kit had some noticeable wobbling, I tried two other M03 spares I had laying around and used one that spun much truer. So being molded gears, there are good and not so good ones.

- Added a 0.1mm shim on the diff outdrive bearings to take up side play. I'm using the aluminum diff cover and used the shim on that side. If adding them on the gear side of the diff case it will push the casing screws towards contact with the gearbox.

Although the gearbox still makes a rattling-like sound, it spins much freer and I no longer have that notchy gear mesh issue like it was getting stuck at certain positions. When I order some spare M07 gear sets I'll experiment again with finding a better counter gear and see if it may be further improved.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
I wish Phat Bodies made a better product. Their bodies have few and faint details.

I've always had passing interesting in the M series. Now that the M-07 is out I think I will pull the trigger. It doesn't seem to make sense to buy any of the other models and that includes that upgraded Pro and Race versions. Do you all agree?
M07 is a big step forward in terms of build quality and engineering. I almost regret buying hop ups, as stock parts are quite good and obviously stronger than previous models.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I will quote the last paragraph from our M07 review -
"There's no avoiding it, Mini racing has stepped up another level, if you haven't got an M07, you havent got a chance."
JatoTheRipper and eR1c like this.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So the M07 is a bit of a game changer then?

Where is the review you mention above, I'd be keen for a read. Been telling myself I don't need an M07 just yet!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

https://www.facebook.com/rcmini.net/
Old 07-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
M07 is a big step forward in terms of build quality and engineering. I almost regret buying hop ups, as stock parts are quite good and obviously stronger than previous models.
Originally Posted by tony gray
I will quote the last paragraph from our M07 review -
"There's no avoiding it, Mini racing has stepped up another level, if you haven't got an M07, you havent got a chance."
Thanks for the info guys! I don't know of any local racing here so it will be a parking lot racer. Since the M07 isn't that much more expensive than the M05 I say why not go with the latest and greatest?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Thank you, it certainly seems the M07 is a significant step forward. The real test for me will be this weekend. One of our club guys will debut his M07, so I'm taking my M05 V2 along to see how good it is.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It really is more of an FF07M... looking forward to putting some laps in this weekend.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default initial bench setup..

looks like regular Mini BigBore Shock set will give you (me) full range of motion with using the long lower ball cups. applying same (very similar setup) to M07 that I used on my M05.

no internal limiters, using the droop screws as they are intended (which seems to be a big adjustment still to get used to by a lot of the 'mini die-hards')

appears that this 'shock setup' will also work nice if you are running the smaller diameter tires (Sweep, Pit, Rush) as well, with minor/no adjustment to overall shock length.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

someone mentioned earlier that they degreased their kit bearings ....Just opened my box and noticed that all the bearings were caked w/ tons of grease. ...they are soaking now in degreaser while I am here at work ...build will proceed once this step is complete.

I raced against a few M07's this past weekend. They have a quicker take-off than the M05's and appear to handle better than a typical (non dialed in M05). My M05 handles great, but took a few years to get it to handle. Seems the M07 handles right out of the box. -just my observation.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Is that the kit settings for rear toe? Looks like a LOT of toe in.
I see what you mean but I think it's the angle of the photograph. Putting it side by side with the M05v2 they are both near as damn it identical.
Having now run it for a couple of weeks now it wouldn't bad idea to stick it on the gauges to see how it's settling in I guess and just check that rear end to be sure.

Otherwise it's all good and I'm reasonably happy with the 07. Limited to a 20 tooth pinion its no quicker than the 05's at our club which I suppose is good. It's not undrivable by any means but my sorted 05 is still my preferred option for the moment.
I am however pleased to see the front tyre wear is much better on the 07. No more rings of death on the Sweeps we use, which compared to the 05 often appear after 3 or four runs
Old 07-12-2017, 05:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Is that the kit settings for rear toe? Looks like a LOT of toe in.
It called parallax effect. Pretty much all lenses have it, especially small ones, up close.
shawnh likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:58 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info guys! I don't know of any local racing here so it will be a parking lot racer. Since the M07 isn't that much more expensive than the M05 I say why not go with the latest and greatest?
What part of Pa are you in???
There are is a Beach Track, Schedule to be yet to be determined in Staten Island as well as Jackson, NJ!!!
JatoTheRipper likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.