Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

New retro racer Miglia Mini now available from Phat Bodies for Tamiya M03, 4 and 5

Here - Phat Bodies ? Home

Phat Bodies ? Phat Bodies Miglia Mini
Old 07-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scionara05
I know with the m07 out now m05 is so obsolete but has anyone got it to work on black CRC carpet.i run at 360 but we don't run them cause we can't get them to stop flipping no matter the corner and there is some fast guys running them and can't get it to stay rubber down. I tried kit tires but no luck so I'm guessing s type comound would be worse
I've gotten the M05 and M06 to work OK on the black carpet, but it's a struggle due to the narrow track/high CG of the Minis. CA on the front sidewalls is a must, but it's not a magic bullet. At some point, it's going to flip if you go too fast through a corner.

I got the cars as low as possible (or legal), using the slicks which are shorter than the treaded radials. That seemed to really help. Also, using as little steering dual rate as I can stand and still make it around the track. Sudden, quick steering inputs can cause a traction roll as well. Smooth, larger radius turns really helps.

The only other solution is to simply slow down a little bit. With lower grip levels, if you go too fast, you'll either push out wide or spin out. With the black carpet, it simply traction rolls (in a blink of an eye). I know it's not the most fun solution.

Mark
Old 07-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Braking technique and tight radius may allow us to enter corner very fast and not traction roll in black carpet even without CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiRSnnZSXwg

Driving Pacman car, braking every corner (but notice car does not slow down).

Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
Braking technique and tight radius may allow us to enter corner very fast and not traction roll in black carpet even without CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiRSnnZSXwg

Driving Pacman car, braking every corner (but notice car does not slow down).

Same technique I use to drive Euro Truck.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input I will have to see what works when the track opens back up after the summer break I think end of August.
Thanks for all the replys if anyone has any luck trying any of the info out let the world know please so we can keep the m05 alive lol
Old 07-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

After Saturday's practice, there wasn't total Mini Mafia concensus on shock type to use on our new M07's. TC shocks fit perfect. Mini shocks using long shafts also fit, but look a little odd. Either way was capable of high 16's until it got hot which slows lap times a few tenths. S-grips held their grip thru the heat better than Pits. Fred tried Kevin's car and ran as fast as anyone!
OSherman likes this.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I really like this paint scheme. Simple, crude and very mini.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
After Saturday's practice, there wasn't total Mini Mafia concensus on shock type to use on our new M07's. TC shocks fit perfect. Mini shocks using long shafts also fit, but look a little odd. Either way was capable of high 16's until it got hot which slows lap times a few tenths. S-grips held their grip thru the heat better than Pits. Fred tried Kevin's car and ran as fast as anyone!
Did anyone try Mini shocks with the Mini shafts, but with the longer shock end?
Old 07-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, with some internal spacing, but the stroke is very limited. Not really a problem under normal running, but if you hit a berm or some such, the shock bottoms out and will send you car on a sky ride.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback regarding the new car. Mine gets a test run this weekend. I fitted normal TRF shocks with the mini springs supplied with the kit. Have you tried and tested the swaybars? I have them. I was going to try soft swaybar rear and hard swaybar front.
Regards
50 Cal
Old 07-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyone else find the M07 gearbox not as smooth as the M05? Not sure if it's the alignment of the gears or the gears themselves but there seems to be a spot where the mesh is "stuck".
I noticed when I spin the spur gear on the motor mount it's slightly out of round.

It's just something I noticed after completing the top and bottom halves of the gearbox. I'm still building the car so maybe it takes some break-in?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rc_square24
Anyone else find the M07 gearbox not as smooth as the M05? Not sure if it's the alignment of the gears or the gears themselves but there seems to be a spot where the mesh is "stuck".
I noticed when I spin the spur gear on the motor mount it's slightly out of round.

It's just something I noticed after completing the top and bottom halves of the gearbox. I'm still building the car so maybe it takes some break-in?
Could just be a bad spur. The 05 spur is compatible so try using one from your other car to verify.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I found the drivetrain sticky as hell after I first assembled it. I'd cleaned stock grease out of the bearings, checked for clearances, interferences, Nada. Turned out one of the 10x15 outdrive bearings was defective. Might be worth checking each bearing out.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi

Been searching the net but no clue so far - is the M05 Mazda MX5 body a straight fit on the M07 in mwb mode? Alway concerned about getting the body low enough. ;-)

Cheers
Dave

This morning at Tamiya, with the new M07, my second lap EVER, was a 16.7. Conditions were ideal for minis, and I was using Pit tires, but this is with a 74 year-old duffer at the helm! Unfortunately, every change I made thru the day from the book settings made things worse, and the temperature was going up quickly, which always raises lap times into the 17's. Except for clipping a mm off each steering cup which allowed some toe-out to keep it going straight down the straightaway, nothing else helped. So, just build it stock, and now everyone is going to have a competitive mini to race...
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yes, with some internal spacing, but the stroke is very limited. Not really a problem under normal running, but if you hit a berm or some such, the shock bottoms out and will send you car on a sky ride.
Any recommendations on shock / piston / oil set up with the big bore mini shock at Tamiya?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.