Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We had the state titles over the weekend in Victoria, Australia. I took my recently built M05 (R spec) out for a run, and it felt stable and easy to drive during the qualifiers. I was losing a lot of time in the corners though, I think it was diffing out a little bit and generally didn't have any forward traction. The loctite TA03 ball diff I had in it felt like it had loosened a bit over the first couple of runs - it wasn't slipping, just felt like a stock gear diff with a small bit of AW grease, no extra washers. I tried removing one of the smaller washers and tightened it a bit. After that, the car was near undriveable, it would randomly dart either left or right while trying to accelerate in a straight line. I'm surprised I didn't break anything with the number of high speed crashes into the curbs and walls. I put the washer back in and it felt stable again, tracked perfectly straight, but I still had no pace coming out of the corners.

For the finals I put in an oil gear diff with 100k oil, and the random darting issue returned. As it was a demo class and there were time restraints, our finals were cut short so I didn't have time to experiment with other changes.

I'm running on asphalt with Team Powers 36 tires all round (gooped rears only). Using the stock yellow damper fluid (no idea what rating it is). I've got the upright front shock tower, middle hole. Medium wheelbase. Pretty much everything else is stock R spec manual setup. Using the standard Hobbywing 13T combo. I've got about 140g of lead to bring it a touch over the legal weight of 1330g, distribution is roughly 55:45 F:R

Here's what I've double checked:

- No binding
- Equal corner weight distribution/shock preload
- No damaged/bent parts
- Servo saver looks in good shape
- Yes, servo horn is 90 degrees to the rod, not the servo

Here's what I haven't tried yet:

- Adding more front toe out. It has a little bit, I used the manual settings for the link length.
- The car doesn't have many runs on it. I've read from the early reports that the car needs more runs to break in. Perhaps I just need to run it more?
- Some of the guys at the track suggested I try to get rid of some of the slop in the steering. I've read through this thread and removing slop is actually not recommended here.
- Upgrading servo. Using a weak Futaba S3003.
- Upgrading the steering rack. Still using the stock plastic one, and it seems to flex a fair bit.
- Haven't confirmed whether the lack of punch in corners actually is diffing out, or if it's just tons of wheelspin. My M03 doesn't wheelspin anywhere near that much and it's using a stock gear diff (AW grease with 1 added washer).

Does anyone have any additional thoughts to add on what I can try next?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
What are you guys doing for Mini Cooper bodies these days?

For years, I had wanted to get an M-chassis and Mini body, but I ended up buying a M.Rage. Now I see it's almost impossible to find a Mini body for a reasonable, or even an unreasonable price. Colt has one available but I can only find it in Australia.
Blitz from rcmart. Get a couple for some friends and it's not so bad.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
M05 setup
First off, it was great racing against you and Wayne, as well as the other Mini drivers, on the weekend.

In regards to the M05 setup, my M05 v.2 is setup for mid wheelbase length, running the Blitz Golf GTi shell.

I am also using the 3 Racing gear diff with 100k weight oil in it.

I am currently running 30wt oil all round in my Mini TRF shocks, with yellow springs on the front and white on the back. I use the Tamiya aluminium front shock tower, with the front shock in the middle hole.

I barely run any front toe, but YMMV when it comes to that.

I do recommend going for a Tamiya aluminium steering rack setup in the Mini. It will make a world of different. I use the Tamiya red rubber o-rings in my steering to remove slop, and haven't had any issues there. Most of the Mini lads at Boronia also do the same thing.

I can't remember the weight setup on my car, I think mine is a bit overweight due to me replacing all the Phillips head screws with steel button head/countersunk hex head screws.

I couldn't remember which shell you were using for your M05, the GTi seems to be the flavour of the month due to the monstrous rear wing you get with it.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Great to hear about the ball diff, but with brushless torque there is very little chance of survival for that diff without some ofna diff lock lube, scuffed balls, and sanded diff rings... Diff bolt expansion due to heat will loosen diff action, even with all of the above, so tightening to the moon will be required...
Another way to get around this diffing out issue is to use very stiff rear springs in order to always pin the front tires to the track...
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Burlap
First off, it was great racing against you and Wayne, as well as the other Mini drivers, on the weekend.

In regards to the M05 setup, my M05 v.2 is setup for mid wheelbase length, running the Blitz Golf GTi shell.

I am also using the 3 Racing gear diff with 100k weight oil in it.

I am currently running 30wt oil all round in my Mini TRF shocks, with yellow springs on the front and white on the back. I use the Tamiya aluminium front shock tower, with the front shock in the middle hole.

I barely run any front toe, but YMMV when it comes to that.

I do recommend going for a Tamiya aluminium steering rack setup in the Mini. It will make a world of different. I use the Tamiya red rubber o-rings in my steering to remove slop, and haven't had any issues there. Most of the Mini lads at Boronia also do the same thing.

I can't remember the weight setup on my car, I think mine is a bit overweight due to me replacing all the Phillips head screws with steel button head/countersunk hex head screws.

I couldn't remember which shell you were using for your M05, the GTi seems to be the flavour of the month due to the monstrous rear wing you get with it.
It was great to race against you too. You guys had some serious pace. I think I was lucky to make the A main when a few of the other guys had issues with those brutal kerbs.

It looks like my setup isn't too far from yours, with the exception of the extra stiff rear springs. I've got a pair of blues and 2 sets of reds and yellows I can experiment with.

I was the green and white GTI (I mounted the rear wing after the photo was taken)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ah yes, now I remember. It's just your Monster Mini shell is so awesome I forgot about this one

Those SERCCC curbs are insane, thankfully I only clipped them twice in qualifying, but in 99% of the case you didn't want to be anywhere near them.

RC Mart still sells the white short Tamiya spring, I can get you the part number for it if you want.

I think most of the guys, like Wayne, were running TP36 tyres all round. I was running the old ABC Racing Super MGRs on the front and TP36s on the rear (except on Saturday morning when I ran Spice 28s).
Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Burlap
Ah yes, now I remember. It's just your Monster Mini shell is so awesome I forgot about this one

Those SERCCC curbs are insane, thankfully I only clipped them twice in qualifying, but in 99% of the case you didn't want to be anywhere near them.

RC Mart still sells the white short Tamiya spring, I can get you the part number for it if you want.

I think most of the guys, like Wayne, were running TP36 tyres all round. I was running the old ABC Racing Super MGRs on the front and TP36s on the rear (except on Saturday morning when I ran Spice 28s).
I think you're confusing me with Tim K, I'm Tim B His monster shell is pretty awesome. [Edit: I'm pretty sure Tim K was using a long wheelbase Cooper with AusPost branding on his M05]

I was pretty happy with the TP36 tyres, I did try TP36 front Sweep 33 rear Sunday morning but that was a disaster as the rear had zero grip. Limped around for a single lap just to sneak on the points board before pulling it off the track.

Last edited by gigaplex; 03-21-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

I wouldnt go changing your car based on the weekend dude. That track made my normally 150% benign M03 into a pig all weekend.
Try the M05 somewhere else first...
Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tony gray
I wouldnt go changing your car based on the weekend dude. That track made my normally 150% benign M03 into a pig all weekend.
Try the M05 somewhere else first...
I'll give it a spin at TFTR soon. Are the rcmini crew thinking of running the Masters?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Me and Tim for sure. Nathan and Tony P are maybe's.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Tech Regular

It was great fun running with a full field of minis again.
I ran the M03 Monster in the last 2 qualifiers and the finals.
It wasn't running the best, probably due to all the sugar water, but it ran okay.
The body is almost trashed but here's a pic from when it was new:
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-monster1.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tim K
It wasn't running the best, probably due to all the sugar water, but it ran okay.
It looked like your inner rear wheel lifted off the ground quite a lot every corner. I was expecting it to roll over each time.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tim K
What bodyshell is that? Is that the Montech?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Hi gang, I'm building a TA03 ball diff for my M05.

Any build tips or helpful hints?

I will replace the stock diff balls with tungsten carbide balls.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by danosborne661
What bodyshell is that? Is that the Montech?
Tims shell is an original Chevron Models Monster Mini (no longer available).
But Team Blue Groove in Canada do a knock-off version of it.

MINI MONSTER COOPER BODY MINI RS4 CUP RACER M05 M03 M06 210MM | eBay

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.